Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
KDP Select

http://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/KDPSelect

Anyone signed up for this yet? It seems to be saying you can offer free ebooks as a promotion for 5 days once every 3 months.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I am not signing up for it. It requires exclusivity and I'm not willing to do that to my fans who use Apple, B&N, Smashwords and other stores.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
I've gone for it. For one book anyway (the one in my sig). It's only available on Kindle.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
The way I read it, you agree to list the book exclusively with KDP for at least 90 days and you get some sort of free advertising for 5 of those 90 days along with a complicated share in the profits. I don't know what to make of it. Bottom line, it means forgoing Smashwords for 90 days. I have a novella ready to roll in a couple of weeks so I guess I'll decide then. Also of interest to me since I price my books at the 35% royalty rate is that I can opt out of lending altogether, which I didn't even know I was in to begin with. Something else to think about.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yea... I got about 1/3rd of my first book's sales through B&N. I would have to give up that channel so that people could get my book for free through their lending program? Nah... as a startup author I need my book as widely spread as possible.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Frida says it well: http://t.co/9ziVImr3
Old 12-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
If not for the exclusivity thing, I'd be fine with the program, but I won't do that to my non-Amazon readers.

By the by, you can still use the Smashwords backdoor to get a freebie into Amazon.
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
I saw the word exclusive and ran... Owning the exclusive rights for my work for 90days could be a potential problem especially since you may or may not be paid for only 30 days of that 90. If someone wants exclusive rights to my work for a period of time I expect compensation or guaranteed payment, and for the seller to take the risk not myself.

Success in this marketplace is getting as many eyes as you can on your work, and I do not want to put all my eggs into one basket with just the Kindle, which only accounts for 45% of my sales anyway.
Arigato,
Nick
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Wait, so let me see if I understand this.

For Amazon exclusivity (eek!), I can... price my book for free when I like (which I can already do through Smashwords)... and I can go into the lending program where my book will almost certainly not be chosen for lending because I'm a no-name author among thousands and the prime folks get ONE lend per MONTH.

Does not strike me as a good deal.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
The KDP contract also has a non-compete clause. If you publish elsewhere, this can lead to problems since when you sign the KDP contract you agree not to release "content that is reasonably likely to compete commercially with your Digital Book, diminish its value, or be confused with it".

You can read more about this at the Writer Beware blog here.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Steve Robinson
Crime Fiction Writer
Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
I decided against this. I'm an independent author who wants to be read as widely as possible and the Kindle isn't the only device out there. Amazon are doing a lot of great things for indies, but I think that asking for exclusivity is too much. It's not like they're offering advertising and the kind of representation you might get from a mainstream publisher.

Last edited by Steve Robinson; 12-10-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Steve Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I ain't touching this either. The exclusivity thing reminds me of the old contracts that publishers would give, which required authors to submit to their company first before they could submit to anyone else.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
For Amazon exclusivity (eek!), I can... price my book for free when I like (which I can already do through Smashwords)... .
Except you can't control how long it will be free for if you do it through Smashwords, and it isn't guaranteed to work either. Sometimes they ban it from sale until the free copy somewhere else stops being free. That might have something to do with your list price, or it might be just random.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
VydorScope
Wizard

I personally hope no one take advantage of this and it falls on its face. I think its bad for all independent authors and bad for the industry.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Except you can't control how long it will be free for if you do it through Smashwords, and it isn't guaranteed to work either. Sometimes they ban it from sale until the free copy somewhere else stops being free. That might have something to do with your list price, or it might be just random.
I browsed through the free titles today and there was a lot of nothing I want to buy, even at $0.00. I'm guessing that as a promotional tool the "5 days free!" will be a non-starter -- it won't be easy for Amazon customers to find my book among all the free erotica, and if they're coming to Amazon because they know about my "5 days free!" promotion from my blog, it'll be easier for 99% of them to just download the copy free from my blog and skip the whole link-to-Amazon thing.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote