Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
jamng
jamng began at the beginning.

Device: none
Remote Calibre Backup?

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is supported or not and what the behavior should be.

I have 2 PCs (both runnings Windows 7). One machine is at home that I normally use and add/update the catalog, etc. One machine is at work. They are both sharing files.

I am running Syncback to mirror the Calibre directories. I have it scheduled to run every 3 days.

1 - If Calibre is running on both machines will this work? Do I need to shutdown calibre on the backup machine since I'm writing changes, etc to that drive?

2 - If Calibre does NOT need to be shutdown and that sort of backup should work. Do I need to reload/restart Calibre to read the changes or does Calibre know its been changed and will reread it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jamng; 12-08-2011 at 09:46 AM.
jamng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre assumes it has exclusive access to its database (at least until the database layer rewrite completes) and caches a lot of datga in memory to avoid unnecessary database re-reads. It will therefore get upset if an update is made outside its control when it is running.

I am not sure how the setup you describe is working as you imply that you have two different instances of Calibre running at the same time making changes to the database. This is not a supported configuration and would lead to changes getting lost. However, maybe I have mistunderstood what you ar actually doing?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
jamng
jamng began at the beginning.

Device: none
One instance on PC #1 and one instance on PC #2.

PC #1 is at home and is sharing files. Calibre is ALWAYS running on this machine.
PC #2 is at work (and really a remote backup of sorts) and is sharing files. I usually remember to shut it down though and fire it up only when necessary.

I edit ONLY on PC #1.

I copy ALL of the files from PC #1 to PC #2 using SyncBack.

PC #2 usually has Calibre shutdown when I'm backing up from PC #1 to PC #2 but I might forget and leave it running so I'm trying to figure out if that would even work. If it should work then I should be able to just leave Calibre running all the time at work as well.

ETA: Would/should this work which is similar I think. PC #1 is running Calibre. I backup the Calibre directory to an external HD while it is running. I take it to PC #2 and while Calibre is running on PC #2 I copy all of the contents off that external HD onto PC #2. What would happen on PC #2? Would it blow up?

Last edited by jamng; 12-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.
jamng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamng View Post
One instance on PC #1 and one instance on PC #2.

PC #1 is at home and is sharing files. Calibre is ALWAYS running on this machine.
PC #2 is at work (and really a remote backup of sorts) and is sharing files. I usually remember to shut it down though and fire it up only when necessary.

I edit ONLY on PC #1.

By sharing files do you mean running the calibre content server?

Then don't run calibre on PC#2, run calibre-server from the command line.

Calibre-server uses read-only access to the database and is pretty tolerant of changes to the database.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote