Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

We are actually not the 51st state.
Maybe you can replace Texas when it goes solo.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If Only!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Probably about the same number of people, but I bet the Canadians are a lot nicer! Better climate for sure! Hey, I wonder if we could work out a deal where Canada would take in Rick Perry if we exile him?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #34
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Currently the Fire is not available in Canada. The Amazon services that make the Fire a great choice for some folks are also not in Canada. Amazon has a long history of treating Canadians like red headed step children, for example, last Xmas we could not order Kindles.
Sorry taming, my comment wasn't directed at you specifically. I know Amazon's left our northern neighbors "in the cold".

We've got a similar problem now with Borders gone - there's no way for us yanks to go hands-on with a Vox. Hence my inclination to hold out for the inevitable side-by-side shootout, (and 1st wave of the usual bug fixes from kobo).
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #35
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Devil's advocate here but note that the Kobo app is in the Amazon Appstore which means it should be installable on the Kindle Fire.

I definitely want a 7" color eReader, but I'm sitting on the fence until the Fire comes out. I was really hoping the FFS+ screen would deliver a somewhat usable outdoor reading experience but the early reports here seem to indicate otherwise.
Dude what? I was at my parents. Went outside. Bright and Sunny. The thing let me read with no issues at all in the sun.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #36
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
:Hey, I wonder if we could work out a deal where Canada would take in Rick Perry if we exile him?
No. (Need I say more?)
cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Dang!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #38
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Does anyone know how to download Overdrive on the Kobo vox?
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #39
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alans View Post
Does anyone know how to download Overdrive on the Kobo vox?
go to http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #40
tinted_tictac
tinted_tictac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox, Nexus 7
My Vox experience started out frustrating. I guess I expected the whole setup process to be more intuitive. I have the original Kobo and it was very easy to use, and was expecting the same for the Vox.

I bought the Vox on Thursday, it took me until Saturday to figure out how to get all my non Kobo books working. I now have my Calibre books imported into the Kobo app, Aldiko for my DRM books from eHarlequin and Overdive for my library books. Astro is awsome as a file manager. A big thanks to forums like these for guiding me along the way. I guess I expected alot of these apps to already be loaded to help along with the reading experience.

I haven't had any of the problems (knock wood) mentioned, and am just enjoying playing around with it. Overall a good buy and well worth it for me!

Last edited by tinted_tictac; 11-13-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: sp
tinted_tictac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #41
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You know that you can use Aldiko for all of them don't you? Your Calibre books can be downloaded wirelessly into Aldiko using the Calibre server (thread explaining process here )
Also, installing Dropbox on both the Vox and your computer will give you another way to transfer without the wire...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #42
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
Love that I now have Dropbox set up! I was constantly connecting to my PC and then disconnecting to check things, then re-connecting...Ugghh!

Wireless = Happy me!!
cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #43
VillageBC
VillageBC began at the beginning.

I think I'm going to return mine for the new Sony eReader (PRST1). Not having an eReader before, I don't have anything really to compare it to. Except it feels like a host of compromises and does neither the tablet or ereader portion well.

Upon unpacking, and doing the usual setup of new device. First thing I try is to load up the free Franklin book, immediately force closes. Other books seem fine, but that one force closes. Try the Kobo appstore, Dolphin HD is the first thing and I use it on my phone so I go to download it. The file is corrupted and won't install. Both problems magically rectified themselves a couple days later.

Since the initial problems it frequently refuses to wake up from sleep. Regularly seems to have problems charging past 70%. The touch screen responsiveness is pretty bad, often missing the initial swipe/touch. In the dark, and with a black screen light bleed around the edges is rather noticeable, shame because the LCD screen itself is very nice. I did some heavy reading (hours) which is normal when I get into a book and the battery couldn't survive the ordeal, lasting about 7hrs. Which brings the stupidity of unable to charge via USB (even slowly) and the included ridiculous short corded AC adapter (can't use my phone charger either) so I couldn't plug it in while reading. The Kobo app lacks the ability to change background colour for reading, seriously who though white/black and black/white was actually good idea as your only option. I've installed Kindle and Aldiko to get around the issue that issue.

It's a shame, despite my problems with it which I partially blame on my expectations. I see potential in the device and I really do quite like it. Simply giving me the proper android market with proper sync with my google accounts would make it a lot more tolerable. I just expect that from an android device, my phones have it why not this?
VillageBC is offline   Reply With Quote