Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
flynn
flynn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Arrow do you love detectives?

hello,
I have been reading Austin Freeman detectives that always fascinated me.
Each volume is in itself complete and stands separate.
Really my wits were baffled when gone through such narration.
some of the volumes include Silent Witness, The Red Thumb Mark, The D'Arblay Mystery, The Jacob street mystery and so on..............

device:kindle for pc
flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You know that we have all the "Dr Thorndyke" books right here at MR?

Kindle format:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12821

ePub format:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75389
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I must also point out that those ebooks have been assembled by Harry, and that they look wonderful.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Flynn, glad to hear you share my liking for R. Austin Freeman. I thought The Red Thumb Mark was brilliant.

But some of his later short stories don't live up to the promise. They come across as Sherlock Holmes clones, with the narrator being more like Dr Watson than Dr Watson. But they're still enjoyable in their own way.

And I agree with Dr Drib. Harry's formatting and proof-reading are excellent.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Freeman's most notable achievement is inventing the "inverted" detective story, in which the reader is told how the crime was committed at the start of the book, and the rest of the story is the description of how the detective figures it out. Everyone is so familiar with this type of plot today (the "Columbo" TV series is perhaps its best-known example) that it's easy to forget that someone actually invented it, and Freeman is that somebody.
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Flynn, glad to hear you share my liking for R. Austin Freeman. I thought The Red Thumb Mark was brilliant.

But some of his later short stories don't live up to the promise. They come across as Sherlock Holmes clones, with the narrator being more like Dr Watson than Dr Watson. But they're still enjoyable in their own way.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that characterisation, Mike. Dr Thorndyke is much more what today we'd call a "forensic scientist" than he is a traditional detective. He solves problems primarily by scientific investigation. I think that many of his later books are actually the best; the solutions to the problems certainly surprised me!

It's best, if you can, to read the Dr. Thorndyke books in their published order, because there's a fair amount of continuity between them, with characters from earlier books appearing, and developing, in later ones. My 7-volume collection arranges them in chronological order.

I'm about half-way through proof-reading the final volume of the collection, so probably best to wait for the proofed version before reading that.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure I'd agree with that characterisation, Mike. Dr Thorndyke is much more what today we'd call a "forensic scientist" than he is a traditional detective. He solves problems primarily by scientific investigation. I think that many of his later books are actually the best; the solutions to the problems certainly surprised me!

It's best, if you can, to read the Dr. Thorndyke books in their published order, because there's a fair amount of continuity between them, with characters from earlier books appearing, and developing, in later ones. My 7-volume collection arranges them in chronological order.

I'm about half-way through proof-reading the final volume of the collection, so probably best to wait for the proofed version before reading that.
Thank you, Harry! I've subscribed to the Mobi thread so that I know when the 7th collection has been updated. I have never heard of this series before but it sounds very interesting. I look forward to reading them.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
ShawnM
ShawnM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Have you read the Sherlock Holmes collection? Anyone who is into detective fiction has to read Sherlock.

Although I recommend not reading "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes"...it's somewhat of a rough read and not worth the time. Just stop at 'His Last Bow.'
ShawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure I'd agree with that characterisation, Mike. Dr Thorndyke is much more what today we'd call a "forensic scientist" than he is a traditional detective.

It's best, if you can, to read the Dr. Thorndyke books in their published order
I take your point, Harry. I started with the Red Thumb Mark, which I think was his first full-lenght story (?) - it was published in 1907. I then went on to one of the short story collections, but to be honest I don't remember if I downloaded it from here or somewhere else. I see there are at least a couple of volumes in the download section here that I haven't seen - l'll get to them in dur course.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Have you read the Sherlock Holmes collection? Anyone who is into detective fiction has to read Sherlock.

Although I recommend not reading "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes"...it's somewhat of a rough read and not worth the time. Just stop at 'His Last Bow.'
I liked Casebook myself - I'm listening to the stories on audio, though not in order. Right now, I'm partway through The Sign of Four read by Patrick Tull.

I've enjoyed The Further of Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Bert Coules, featuring titles alluded to in actual Holmes stories.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 08-03-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: add last sentence
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
ShawnM
ShawnM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I've enjoyed The Further of Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Bert Coules, featuring titles alluded to in actual Holmes stories.
I'll look into The Further of Adventures of Sherlock Holmes...from the Amazon reviews it seems okay. Is Watson included in it?
ShawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
He sure is!

They're similar adventures to the ACD ones - I really like the dramatizations, although Patrick Tull is doing a good job reading The Sign of Four as a regular audiobook from Watson's point-of-view.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Robert Wilson ?

Not sure if this is a "let us know" thread or not, but shall resume yes...
I'm just starting re-reading Robert Wilson's Javier Falcone books - on "The Silent and the Damned" [ re-titled for the US as "The Vanished Hands" . Mmm...]
I'll tackle the rest again too, I'm enjoying his style.

Really very good - I also have fond memories of "A Small Death in Lisbon", not a Falcone novel, Ze CoelhO is the cop here, as I read it while staying in Sintra, and immediately rushed about exploring Lisbon ! It's interesting in that it runs a investigation of a modern crime alongside events in WW2 in Portugal.

All are well worth consideration, very well written, great characters, and amply backed by research, and familiarity with the countries concerned, that doesn't shout at you, just is.

[The Hidden Assassins, The Blind Man of Seville, The Company of Strangers, A Small Death in Lisbon, all on Kindle I know. More in article on Wiki .]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #14
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
i am fan of

hercule poirot (agatha christie)
sherlock holmes (sir arthur conan doyle)
matthew scudder (lawrence block)
brenie rhodenbarr (lawrence block)
kinsey millhone (sue grafton)
pierre niemans (jean christophe grange)
ellery queen (ellery queen)
mike hammer (mickey spillane)

head inspector nevzat (ahmet umit - an author from my country)

briefly, i am a big fan of detective stories
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #15
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post

i agree to you
but in my opinion
in a fight
hercule poirot wins sherlock holmes
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote