Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
Setting it to 10 seconds does seem to work. I think I made a mistake earlier when directing the output from the compiler.
Wow, then that's a good news!
It seems that you did a nice job!
Couldn't you upload the patch or so here for other users?
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #17
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Setting the timeout from 5 to 10 seconds will probably 'solve' the problem for a certain group of documents, but it will also double the time that the CPU is running full-speed, which could take 20-30% from your battery duration.
So be carefull what you ask for.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #18
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Setting the timeout from 5 to 10 seconds will probably 'solve' the problem for a certain group of documents, but it will also double the time that the CPU is running full-speed, which could take 20-30% from your battery duration.
So be carefull what you ask for.
Thank you for your reply, Mackx.
But I'd like my device to pre-fetch as much as possible for the comfort, regardless of the battery life.
I even didn't know that there is a 'timeout' that DR1000S goes into 'idle mode' automatically, to stop pre-fetching.
Then, can't we turn off the 'idle mode' manually? It seems that there was an option about it in the settings menu in the old version firmware, wasn't there?

Last edited by bokjeid; 04-19-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #19
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I'll see if I can make an (experimental) user configurable setting for this. I'm a beginning programmer/Linux user, so it could take some time.

Also, to be of any practical use it would have to be incorporated into the Mackx patch, so I would have to ask Mackx to add it to his patch.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
I'll see if I can make an (experimental) user configurable setting for this. I'm a beginning programmer/Linux user, so it could take some time.

Also, to be of any practical use it would have to be incorporated into the Mackx patch, so I would have to ask Mackx to add it to his patch.
Thanks very much for your attention, rvs.
Just like the current auto power-off time setting option, the idle mode timeout setting option in DR1000S would be a very convenient option for users, I assume..
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #21
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
There is a bug in rc3 which may cause the device to go into idle/sleep mode before rendering is done. The workaround above will help in most cases, but indeed affects battery life.

As for power settings; there is a (hidden) option to the settings application (--power) which let the user configure the idle and auto power off modes. This could be extended to adjust the idle time too.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
There is a bug in rc3 which may cause the device to go into idle/sleep mode before rendering is done. The workaround above will help in most cases, but indeed affects battery life.
Hi Gertjan,

Thanks for responding. Is there another way to solve this completely (outside of the uds-code)? Or can you tell a little bit more about the bug (i.e. is it sysd that is not handling the bg/fg_busy correctly or is it uds sending reset_bg/fg_busy too soon, or ...)?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #23
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks Gertjan, that clears things up a bit.

(I can't find this (hidden) setting for the idle mode in the source code though (power.c))

Edit: Skip that last remark, I found it.

Last edited by rvs; 04-19-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #24
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post

As for power settings; there is a (hidden) option to the settings application (--power) which let the user configure the idle and auto power off modes. This could be extended to adjust the idle time too.
Hello Gertjan,
Thank you very much for your precious key information!!
It'll help a number of users of DR1000S..

I'd really like to see that hidden option on my DR1000S directly..! It sounds fantastic..!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
rvs
Groupie

I think you activate the hidden option by adding the following to your dr.ini (on the root of your SD-card):

/apps/er/sys/power/idle_mode=false

Then restart your device and it shouldn't go into idle mode anymore. It will increase your battery drain, though I don't know by how much (I'd guess at least 20%, but maybe much more).
Old 04-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #26
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
I'd really like to see that hidden option on my DR1000S directly..! It sounds fantastic..!
I'm afraid replied a bit too hasty. The Power Management settings dialog I referred to is hidden on DR800 only; on DR1000 it is part of the normal Settings screens. Moreover, the Idle mode is not in this dialog any more. Of course you could add checkbox to toggle the "idle_mode" key, or introduce a new key to set the idle timeout in SYSD, but as a user one should not have to bother about it.

The bug is in the Adobe plugin which does not properly signal UDS that it busy prerendering. Unfortunately this plugin code is closed for licensing reasons.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #27
Mackx
Guru

Thanks for the info.
rvs has been busy modifying the code of the latest dr1000-hackx, adding an extra item in the power-settings-dialog to select different idle-timeout settings.
I am hoping to integrate this in the dr1000-hackx archive and release it as soon as possible.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #28
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
I think you activate the hidden option by adding the following to your dr.ini (on the root of your SD-card):

/apps/er/sys/power/idle_mode=false

Then restart your device and it shouldn't go into idle mode anymore. It will increase your battery drain, though I don't know by how much (I'd guess at least 20%, but maybe much more).
Thanks for your help, rvs!
Now I'm trying it...
But I can't know the difference yet..
I'll test it tomorrow again and post the result here.

---
(added)
I tried it on my DR1000S.
Then the problem I posted in this thread was solved.
But maybe the battery runs out about twice faster.
I'll try the idle mode setting of the lastest Mackx's patch..

Last edited by bokjeid; 04-23-2011 at 04:26 AM.