Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Why I love ebooks:
  • They never get brown pages.
  • The covers stay pristine.
  • They never carry germs or get dusty.
  • No spine creases!
  • They take up no physical space.
  • I can change the font size or even the font.
  • I can highlight, make notes and not damage the book.
  • I can search through a book by word or phrases.
  • I can use a popup dictionary for word definitions.
  • It's easier to hold as it weighs the weight of an eReader.
  • Instant Gratification. (I want, I buy, I download and read.)
  • Privacy: No one knows what racey book I am reading.
  • Free books and free library books to check out right from home.
  • The pages can't be torn out or go missing because my cat can't eat it.

Ebooks are addicting! There are so much free books out there. I've read more now in two years thank I ever did in paperback.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Pretty much everything everyone has already said. The biggest pluses for me:

1) Saves space! (I hate clutter)

2) You can easily prop the reader it in any position. I can read on my side in bed and have no problem holding it open and turning pages.

3) You can carry your entire library with you. Great for trips.

4) No more gross "who knows what that is" stuck to the pages when reading library and used books.

5) Automatically saves your place in the book.

6) Highlighting doesn't cause permanent marks. (I highlight a lot so this is a big one for me)

6) Built in dictionary.

7) No more cracked spines and losing pages from old books.

8) Tons of free books available.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can haz ebok?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Laziness! I hadn't read much in a long time. Then I got a chance to see a relative's ereader, and realized I could have new books without having to actually go to the store or library. I bought an ereader and now I read every day - mostly library books, which I can check out while sitting at my computer at home

Last edited by 4691mls; 10-13-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: fix typo
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I bought a Nook on a whim about a month ago.. I thought if I don't like it I will return or give to my daughter.. I always loved the smell, feel etc of a actual old fashioned book.. not anymore.. you could not pry my Nook away from me now.. It's like.. where have I been.. ? I have since bought Nook Color, and have Kindle Paperwhite on order.. oh, I bought a Nexus 7 a couple of days ago as well.. I'm addicted..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 10-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
All my reasons have already been stated by others.
For your project, you may want to use all these answers and create poll.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I got an ereader because I can adjust the font size to something that is comfortable for me to read. I don't clutter my apartment with books, I can carry my entire library with me everywhere I go.
This pretty much covers it for me.

Originally, the font size thing wasn't critical to me. I first started buying eBooks in 2003 to read on my PDA - mostly to avoid bringing any more paper books into my very small, packed-to-the-gills apartment. Plus, I loved that I could load up an SD card and have hundreds of books with me...I never had to know in the morning what I wanted to read on my lunch break. Don't like the book I started? I had tons to spare.

Back then, eBooks were almost universally less expensive that new print (no longer true, and often the opposite now), even though I ended up spending more on eBooks because 1) it was easier to impulse buy and 2) I bought fewer used books and more new eBooks.

In the last 2-3 years, though, my vision has really been affected by that "over-40" nearsightedness (which is darned confusing, given that I've always been farsighted!) Being able to change the font-size at will makes my reading life much simpler!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I just love the smell of burnt copper in the morning. Paper books just don't have that.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #24
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
1. Easier to carry around (multiple books)
2. Easier to store
3. Easier to catalogue/organise
4. Easier to decide which book to read next (100s to chose from on one device)
5. Can alter font size, style, line spacing etc
6. Can annotate and keep track of annotations within and across books
7. Easy to search across library/within books
8. Can have immediate access to a book (don't have to go to store, wait to come in the post)
9. Easier to keep your place in the book, particularly useful if you are reading a few books at a time, or start a book and would like to come back to it in the future

Those are the main points
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
chantelbrenna
chantelbrenna began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
All my reasons have already been stated by others.
For your project, you may want to use all these answers and create poll.
Thanks, I think I will do that. I honestly was not expecting this much feedback!

Thanks everyone.
chantelbrenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #26
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantelbrenna View Post
I honestly was not expecting this much feedback!
Ha! I've seen threads go on for pages and pages covering the same ground (is copyright evil? is piracy ever justified?) that have been covered time and again in a zillion other threads... much heat, very little new stuff ever brought up.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
1. no clutter. I have an issue with clutter from hardcopy books I bought years ago.
2. instant gratification--can go from a purchase/lend to reading in seconds.
3. can carry thousands of books on one device--great for travel, convenience, and reading what I want when I want.
4. customizable display
5. easier to get promotional (free/very cheap) books and free public domain books.
6. keeps your place for you without dogearing.
7. searchability (this is minor compared to 1-6 though. Paging through ebooks is more difficult on a device if you don't know the string you're searching for)
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #28
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Many reasons for me. One is that I have trouble with losing strength and having pain in my hands, so an ereader is a much lighter, trouble free way to read without straining my hands further, books can be heavy and awkward.

I love the convenience in many ways. No clutter/dust collecting in my house. As I'm a bit OCD it's thrilling to me that my books can be easily and quickly organized how I like and that I'm able to carry all of them with me. I also like to think of all the paper/energy it saves is good for the environment. I thoroughly enjoy the ability of shopping in the comfort of my home. I think it also must save time having whole libraries of books that you can sort quickly through search engines, preview, etc versus going to a book store and doing the same thing.

That's just off the top of my head, hope that helps!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #29
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I got my Sony three years ago mainly to be able to read all the free stuff I had collected over the years (the free Hugo and Nebula stories which are posted every year, books from the Baen free library) as well as to be able to read fan fiction without printing it out (I never liked reading longer texts off a computer screen and it is becoming more difficult the older I get).

The ability to increase the font size has become more and more important over the course of those three years.

I have to admit that I only started buying books when I got my Kindle 18 months ago (before that, I think I had bought three or four books from Baen because they were DRM-free and easy to handle). Now I have to control my book buying very much in the same way I had to control it when I still bought paper books.

Do I have to mention that my small apartment is crowded with books? I still buy paper books from time to time though, but mainly nice hardcovers. My TBR is higher than ever now, but I don't bother to count any more.
Marrella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Three main reasons for me:
1. I can make the fonts as big as I can for my bad eyes!
2. Lightweight so it doesn't hurt my hand/wrist.
3. I can carry bunches and bunches of books with me!
Same reasons here
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote