Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Dickens' 10 Greatest Novels according to Time Magazine

10: Oliver Twist
9: Dombey and Son
8: Hard Times
7: The Pickwick Papers
6: A Tale of Two Cities
5: Our Mutual Friend
4: David Copperfield
3: Little Dorrit
2: Great Expectations
1: Bleak House

What's going to be number one? The Old Curiosity Shop? (Edit: NOPE!!)

Also here is their list of 100 best novels since 1923. I haven't read many of these... could turn it into a 2013 reading challenge!

Last edited by banjobama; 02-07-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: finishing
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
What's going to be number one? The Old Curiosity Shop?
I doubt that would be many people's number 1 choice.

For me it would be a toss-up between "Great Expectations" and "Bleak House". Probably "Expectations" by a whisker.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True but I don't know if it's people voting or just Time's arbitrary choices. If it's just them choosing who knows what they'll say.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that Dickens only wrote 14 novels, a "top 10" list is going to include the majority of them. I find it more interesting to speculate on which ones WON'T make the list. I'd speculate that it's going to be:

Martin Chuzzlewit
Our Mutual Friend
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Barnaby Rudge
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
The list so far:

10: Oliver Twist
9: Dombey and Son
8: Hard Times
7: The Pickwick Papers

What's going to be number one? The Old Curiosity Shop?

Also here is their list of 100 best novels since 1923. I haven't read many of these... could turn it into a 2013 reading challenge!
I would have placed The Pickwick Papers higher. It's hilarious. My number one would be David Copperfield. If I am guessing number one I would say Great Expectations or a Tale of Two Cities.

Quote:
Given that Dickens only wrote 14 novels, a "top 10" list is going to include the majority of them. I find it more interesting to speculate on which ones WON'T make the list. I'd speculate that it's going to be:

Martin Chuzzlewit
Our Mutual Friend
Barnaby Rudge

Just my opinion, but if it was up to me The Old Curiosity Shop shop would replace Barnaby Rudge on that list. Cloying tearjerker.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

For me it would be a toss-up between "Great Expectations" and "Bleak House". Probably "Expectations" by a whisker.

I know of only one person who thinks "The Old Curiosity Shop" is number 1.

(Unfortunately, this person has severe mental problems and volunteers at some kind of esoteric website that - get this! - spends endless reams of argumentative verbiage discussing if science fiction should be spelled 'SF,' 'Sci-Fic,' or 'Science Fiction'; and also, exactly what year did dementia strike Harlan Ellison.)

Dr. 'Dickens' Drib
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Tale of Two Cities would be my choice.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So it would seem that my guess that Tale of Two Cities might be number one was way off. That and the selection of Our Mutual Friend as number five leaves me wondering what better novel will take its place on the lower than ten list?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Wow. Tale of Two Cities at #6. Given that, I'll say David Copperfield at #1, with Great Expectations a damn-close second. (Ah, the thrill of a great horse race!)
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by straygator View Post
Wow. Tale of Two Cities at #6. Given that, I'll say David Copperfield at #1, with Great Expectations a damn-close second. (Ah, the thrill of a great horse race!)
+ 1, with "Bleak House" coming in at third.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I wonder if A Christmas Carol will be in the top 4? Nicholas Nickleby? David Copperfield is one of my personal favorites. It surely has to be on that list.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
jim2012
jim2012 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile RE:

Yeah, these are Dickens' all time famous books. Hats off!!!!!!!!
jim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Is there a viewable version of that list, because flipping through a 100 page slide show strikes me as time consuming.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Is there a viewable version of that list, because flipping through a 100 page slide show strikes me as time consuming.
I agree. It drives me crazy. It's quite prevalent with other Top X type thingies too.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

Martin Chuzzlewit
Our Mutual Friend
Barnaby Rudge
Little Dorrit has to be an also-ran. I picked Great Expectations as the masterpiece in the last Dickens thread. Sticking with it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote