Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
ntrantham
ntrantham began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
calibre-server error on fresh install (headless)

Fresh install of Debian 6 minimal.

Killed apache2.

Followed most of this tutorial:
http://forme.emibre.com/2011/01/cali...ubuntu-server/

but could not get their script to work for starting\stopping the service. I kept getting an error about unable to connect to an X server.

I have a cron job running every 5 minutes that runs my own script that just greps the running processes and looking for calibre, if running it does nothing, if not it starts it using:
Code:
/opt/calibre/calibre-server --auto-reload --with-library /home/calibre --pidfile /var/run/calibre-server.pid --port 80 --max-cover 600x800 --username calibre --password eB00k$ --daemonize
The problem I have is that when viewing the site, on occassion it just dies, then I have to wait until the next 5 minute round for cron to restart the service.

I ran the service the same way with --develop and left off the --daemonize. Waited, and here is the error:

Code:
libgomp: Thread creation failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
Google that, and I come across a few sites suggesting that it is an error with ImageMagik generating the thumbnails. Found that this $wgMaxShellMemory setting in localsettings.php needs to be increased from default of 100MB to something.

I can not find this localsettings.php anywhere though. Where is this setting changed at?
ntrantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
ntrantham

I rebuilt the server to Debian 6 Squeeze.

Upgraded to Wheezy.

Then ran through the list of pre-reqs listed on the Calibre Download page here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Found out the list of pre-req's is (if not completely wrong) seriously lacking in help.

Almost all packages listed require either the Python version of the package, and\or the DEV versions of the packages; not the standard normal packages.

Even then I had issues. I finally found a post here:
(7th post down by lulu)
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,3260,5419

This process works, with the following tweaks. The two packages lulu mentions to download, make, make install have been updated and are no longer available under those versions.

The correct SIP package is:
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/...ip-4.13.tar.gz

and the correct PyQt is:
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/...l-4.8.6.tar.gz

These directions will allow the Calibre install to finish on a Wheezy Debian install. I have not kicked off the server yet as I just finished the install and will now need to upload my library. I will let you know once it is up and running.

Last edited by ntrantham; 12-07-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: -problem still not fixed.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
ntrantham

and after ftp'ing my database file up I tried to start the server and got the following error:
/usr/bin/env: python2: No such file or directory

So, I did this:
ln -s /usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/bin/python2

and now Calibre server is working.

I had just ftp'd my database file up, not all of my library folders have finished uploading, but the site comes up, and looks good.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
ntrantham

Ok. I am still getting the error. It seems like I can browse the site all day long from my Windows PC, or my Kindle, but as soon as my wife hits it from her iPhone or iPad I get this error:

libgomp: Thread creation failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

and it crashes.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
ntrantham

Ok... figured something out... I can finally replicate it everytime.

When I hit the mobile version of the site it does it.

I had even recompiled imagemagick with --disable-openmp to try and prevent multi threading, still no luck, can anyone help?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
ntrantham

ok, so --disable-openmp was not the correct option, looking here:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/ad...stallation.php

I should have used --without-threads.

So, I tried that... same problem.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I do believe this is the wrong forum to post your query. You might have been better served by the Calibre General or Calibre Development forums.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I do believe this is the wrong forum to post your query. You might have been better served by the Calibre General or Calibre Development forums.
No this is the correct place ( I lost the battle on this a while back It is specified in the forum synopsis).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No this is the correct place ( I lost the battle on this a while back It is specified in the forum synopsis).
Interesting. Would you happen to have a link to either the thread discussion or the forum synopsis? If someone were asking about help on compiling calibre, the Devices subforum certainly wouldn't be the first place I'd look.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Interesting. Would you happen to have a link to either the thread discussion or the forum synopsis? If someone were asking about help on compiling calibre, the Devices subforum certainly wouldn't be the first place I'd look.
The synopsis is at the top of each forum.

The discussion is in the Moderators private area and not available to regular users.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The development forum is not the right place to go, because compiling calibre for personal use is not calibre development. As for whether it goes into devices, library management, or the general forum, I have (today at least) no opinion.

For the "rules" for the development forum, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122042.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
ntrantham

I posted it here, because the descriptions of the "Devices" forums is:
"Troubleshoot installation and connection issues specific to your device or OS, and learn how to make the most of calibre's device integration features"

And I am trying to troubleshoot the install on an OS.

which BTW...

My server is a VPS that I pay for simply for the fact of running calibre (it's only $7 a month) I have multiple choices of OS to install on it:

CentOS 5
CentOS 6
Debian 5
Debian 6
Fedora 15
Funtoo
Slackware 13.37
Suse 11.3
Suse 11.4
Ubuntu 10.04
Ubuntu 10.10
Ubuntu 11.04
Ubuntu 9.10

Has anyone successfully installed a headless calibre-server on any of these distro's?
I have given up on trying to get Debian to work, and have just rebuilt it with Ubuntu 11.04.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
ntrantham

Ok... Ubuntu 11.04 same issue...

Only seems to happen on the mobile version of the site...
Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
ntrantham

Just for the heck of it, I tried Fedora 15. Then just used the Fedora respository version of Calibre (which I know is an older version.) Same error, as soon as my wife's iphone hits the site it dies with the same exact error.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
ntrantham

Tried Ubuntu 11.04 repo version.
same error.

Only when iPhone hits the mobile site. I am able to hit the site from my phone, my kindle, my PC both IE and Firefox. I am able to browse all versions of the site, no problems. As soon as my wife's iPad or iPhone hit the site it brings it down.