Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
... and make sure that the TEMP folder is on the SSD.

But that is a general performance tip. Nothing about your specific problem.
Assuming LadyKate has an SSD

My reason for giving calibre its own TEMP was so that it could be excluded from the AV. I would never normally recommend excluding the regular TEMP folder from an AV - TEMP folders be where evil lurks.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #32
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@DrChiper - maybe this will ring a bell ==>> Nirsoft's Search Filter View
Yes, I vaguely remembered it, but do not know whether I actually used it. Could also be using a similar program called IFilter Explorer.

BTW, the abandoned freeware desktop search program I used to use was Copernic, which was quite good until it became a paid version and I quit using it. Don't know whether the paid version is worth to try: they now charge about $11 per year.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Yes, I vaguely remembered it, but do not know whether I actually used it. Could also be using a similar program called IFilter Explorer.

BTW, the abandoned freeware desktop search program I used to use was Copernic, which was quite good until it became a paid version and I quit using it. Don't know whether the paid version is worth to try: they now charge about $11 per year.
I still have the Ifilter Explorer program. Sounds like thee and me have walked (in my case stumbled) along the same paths in the desktop search space.

Twenty years ago I thought Copernic was better than MS or Google but not as good as Yahoo. The Yahoo desktop search tool went on to become X1, which is why I like it.

BR
Old 07-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #34
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds like thee and me have walked (in my case stumbled) along the same paths in the desktop search space.
Well, "crawled" will fit the bill in my case Anyway, good to see that I was not the only lonely cowboy, a long way from home on a file discovery quest...

Just had a look to X1: can it "learn" to read inside epubs or other alien files for that matter?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #35
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Assuming LadyKate has an SSD

My reason for giving calibre its own TEMP was so that it could be excluded from the AV. I would never normally recommend excluding the regular TEMP folder from an AV - TEMP folders be where evil lurks.

BR
She has an SSD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
The library itself is on a normal hard drive. The program is running on an SSD.
On my PC, I don't use any AV at all.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
On my PC, I don't use any AV at all.
You are a braver being than I. Even behind my firewall, I use AV on all computers and do weekly scans with MalwareBytes on the Windows boxes. The honeypot in the DMZ gets so many hits that I've basically stopped counting. Apple, Microsoft and the multitude of Linux distributions have improved their security but the black hats have also improved their tools -- take a look at Pwn2Own and DefCon for more information. BTW, if you are in Las Vegas Aug. 9-12, 2018 and have a spare $280US burning a hole in your pocket, you can hit DefCon 26 at Caesars Palace and Flamingo hotels.

To quote one acquaintance of mine's favourite motto: "I know I’m paranoid—what I don't know if I'm paranoid enough?"
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #37
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
I'd get rid of Avast - or at least exclude all calibre related folders (install, libraries, configuration, and cache) from its grasp. I'd also give calibre a private TEMP folder and exclude that as well.

BR
I'm leaning that way. Could you recommend a good cheap or free antivirus that lets me exclude file extensions as well as paths? I've been using avast for ten or more years and it keeps getting worse.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #38
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Just had a look to X1: can it "learn" to read inside epubs or other alien files for that matter?
Not to my knowledge

I tricked into searching the XHTML in EPUBs, but all the search times became very slow (many seconds instead of sub one-second), it's Preview feature didn't work at all, and it kept rebuilding its index - i.e. much the same as Windows Search

The main reason I use X1 is because highlights the search hits in its Preview Panel. Very useful when you're looking for something you know you read but you can't remember where.

BR
Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I'm leaning that way. Could you recommend a good cheap or free antivirus that lets me exclude file extensions as well as paths? I've been using avast for ten or more years and it keeps getting worse.
Why do you need to exclude extensions?

I've been using MS Defender and MalwareBytes Pro since I migrated from XP and Vista in 2009. They don't tread on one another's toes, and they've each found things that the other didn't, and they are unobtrusive. I don't exclude anything from them and I don't see any impact on performance.

My average internet download speed is about 10Mbps and I use a dedicated download manager. So, I wouldn't notice an extra second or two to scan a new file that took several minutes to download.

BR
Old 07-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #40
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
I like to be able to exclude extensions for audio, book and video files. My max download speed is usually somewhere around 130 Mbps. It is more a case of when doing system scans I don't want to scan a TB or more of ebooks (my library, a backup or three) and music or video files. Having to exclude paths is a pain when a lot of my stuff is on external drives so the drive letter can change.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:03 AM   #41
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Defender can exclude File Types, Malwarebytes can't.

I don't recall the last time I did a full scan of all my data, probably last century. Like you I have a lot of data on removable drives, files are scanned when they're created or rewritten; I see no reason to scan them again.

I often wonder if all this excluding of files from malware scanners, indexers etc slows things down. I exclude nothing and suffer no performance penalties, but maybe that's because I'm not into instant gratification.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-28-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I like to be able to exclude extensions for audio, book and video files. My max download speed is usually somewhere around 130 Mbps. It is more a case of when doing system scans I don't want to scan a TB or more of ebooks (my library, a backup or three) and music or video files. Having to exclude paths is a pain when a lot of my stuff is on external drives so the drive letter can change.
Jumping in here because I use Avast.

Avast can be configured to where it only scans files that are being write to or executed. It won't scan files otherwise. You do this in exclusions. I have it configured this way. Avast is super fast this way. I love it. I also have Avast set to harden mode for extra protection. It's the lightest AV I've tested.

As you can see from the attached pic (not my settings) I got this from a security forum I frequent and did a screenshot. I use these settings with a few tweaks. You can set Avast up to be very light on the resources. There's no need for it to scan every file if your security config is tight only files that are created, modified or excuted can be scanned. I don't do schedule system scans as they are not necessary. I have three layers of protection. All very light on resources but very secure. Calibre runs beautifully on my Windows 10.

Sent from my XT1528
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180728-062950.png
Views:	100
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	165262  

Last edited by Blossom; 07-28-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #43
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Everything lags in windows 10. The OS is so heavily active with keep the system clean, and virus free, along with organizing the disk that it has no time for what we computer users need to do.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #44
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Everything lags in windows 10. The OS is so heavily active with keep the system clean, and virus free, along with organizing the disk that it has no time for what we computer users need to do.
Moderator Notice
Any further discussion on the pro's and con's of different Operating Systems should take place here ==>> The Technology Vent and Rant Thread

BR
Old 07-30-2018, 02:25 AM   #45
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
I tricked into searching the XHTML in EPUBs, but all the search times became very slow (many seconds instead of sub one-second), it's Preview feature didn't work at all, and it kept rebuilding its index - i.e. much the same as Windows Search
Hmmm. So, my quest for a reasonable working file & file contents indexer is still open.