Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
jcb1981
jcb1981 began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Exclamation Cannot Download Metadata Anymore

Hi,

I keep getting the following error message when trying to refine the metadata on my books, which are not uncommon books at all. They are all listed on Amazon and bn.com. I have tried deleting all the metadata and just using the ISBN but nothing seems to help. The title of the book is perfect, the author matches completely, but still I fail book after book.

I'm running macOS Sierra version 10.12.3 and have the latest version of Calibre available. There are no issues with my wifi and this is just a recent problem since the new update. Can anyone help me with this?

This is what the error message tells me to copy:

calibre, version 2.80.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details

Juan
jcb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
And what is in the details?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
And what is in the details?
A failed download could be the site was down or the query is now malformed due to site changes.

DETAILS are very important.
How many sites do you allow in your metadata searches?
Do you have any additional (user) metadata source plugins installed?
{authors} {title} {identifiers} of the book in Calibre

All these (and more) affect a metadata fetch
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #4
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
I met similar issue with Cal V2.73 and win 7 x64.
I used to open "Metadata Modify" window and press the bottom button "Metadata Download".
Metadata Search ran like Swiss cuckoo clock for years.
I did not change any params. And one day this search hangs Calibre. No error message. I have to kill the freezed process.
Strangely, Book cover download was ok.

I update to 2.79 and the issue was still there.

Right now I found a way to bypass the issue.
Ctrl + D
and I click first left button "Download only Metadata".
It works fine. You can manually choose which field to update.

Best regards
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinsley View Post
I met similar issue with Cal V2.73 and win 7 x64.
I used to open "Metadata Modify" window and press the bottom button "Metadata Download".
Metadata Search ran like Swiss cuckoo clock for years.
I did not change any params. And one day this search hangs Calibre. No error message. I have to kill the freezed process.
Strangely, Book cover download was ok.

I update to 2.79 and the issue was still there.

Right now I found a way to bypass the issue.
Ctrl + D
and I click first left button "Download only Metadata".
It works fine. You can manually choose which field to update.

Best regards
Since both methods use the same settings, this suggests something is wrong with one of the configured (user vs builtin) COVER Plugins
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
I'm having trouble, too. OSX, Calibre 2.80.0. Metadata source is Amazon.

Title: Deep Navigation
Author: Alastair Reynolds

In the details:
calibre, version 2.80.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'identifiers': {}, u'authors': [u'Alastair Reynolds'], u'title': u'Deep Navigation', u'timeout': 30}
Using plugins: Amazon.com
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Amazon.com ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', u'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.103 Safari/537.36')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 0.521581888199
Plugin Amazon.com failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/identify.py", line 48, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/amazon.py", line 1169, in identify
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/amazon.py", line 1079, in parse_results_page
CaptchaError: Amazon returned a CAPTCHA page, probably because you downloaded too many books. Wait for some time and try again.

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 0.65 seconds
The longest time (0.521582) was taken by: Amazon.com
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

I did try a large # at once, earlier...
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Hmmm..... I changed my VPN, thinking Amazon would not see me as the person making too many requests, but that did not work.

Last edited by tlc; 02-25-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
tlc
Zealot

I see now that there's a thread about Amazon metadata...
Old 02-27-2017, 05:40 AM   #9
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Since both methods use the same settings, this suggests something is wrong with one of the configured (user vs builtin) COVER Plugins
Good idea. Thank you.

I unactivate Metadata source extension, one by one. Close Cal. Open Cal. Test 5 times.

The issue is still there.

At the beginning of my tests, 5 plugins were activated and 5 were unactivated.
I did not add any cover plugin. So I guess they are built-in plugins.

Best regards
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:33 AM   #10
drdancm
Enthusiast
drdancm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Same Metadata download problem again. This issue looked like it was solved, but here it is again for a bunch of books. I'm posting the data for only one of them:

(Windows 7 64 bit)

calibre, version 2.80.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

{u'authors': [u'A. A. Attanasio'], u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'The Last Legends of Earth - A RADIX Tetrad Novel', u'identifiers': {u'mobi-asin': u'B001RCUNWK'}}
Using plugins: Google, Amazon.com

****************************** Google ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', u'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.103 Safari/537.36')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Google took 2.1859998703

************************************************** ******************************

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', u'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.103 Safari/537.36')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 1.63199996948
Plugin Amazon.com failed
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify. py", line 48, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 1169, in identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 1079, in parse_results_page
CaptchaError: Amazon returned a CAPTCHA page, probably because you downloaded too many books. Wait for some time and try again.

The identify phase took 2.32 seconds
The longest time (2.186000) was taken by: Google
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service

EDITED LATER
I've added another book:

calibre, version 2.80.0

{u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'The Blood Red Indian Summer: A Berger and Mitry Mystery', u'identifiers': {u'mobi-asin': u'B06WGNJCV7'}, u'authors': [u'David Handler']}
Using plugins: Google, Amazon.com

****************************** Google ******************************
Found 0 results
Downloading from Google took 1.52199983597

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', u'Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.103 Safari/537.36')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 1.35500001907
Plugin Amazon.com failed
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify. py", line 48, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 1169, in identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 1079, in parse_results_page

The identify phase took 1.69 seconds
The longest time (1.522000) was taken by: Google

Last edited by drdancm; 02-28-2017 at 02:40 AM.
drdancm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:16 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Delete the part after the colon in the title and the download will work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:27 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And this commit should take care of trying the title without the colon automatically: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...9b8d6829986fab
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
drdancm
Enthusiast

Thanks for the "delete stuff after the colon in the title". That worked for me, but I would like to keep these subtitles.

Sounds like the "commit" will do this automatically, however I don't know how to apply these lines of programming to calibre. Or are you simply saying that the next build will incorporate these changes ?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 03-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dan, the post by Kovid is his way of saying it will be fixed in the next release.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
drdancm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Dan, the post by Kovid is his way of saying it will be fixed in the next release.
Thanks,

Dan

Tags
calibre, download, ebook, error, metadata