Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Changing default margins on Kindle Paperwhite

Is there a way to hack the device to have an option of zero (or close to zero) margins? i.e. to have margins smaller than the current minimum margins option.

Currently I own a Nook simple touch and to do that I edit each epub in advance to have -5pt margins in the stylesheet, thus tricking the device to show the text with almost no side margins, utilizing much more of its narrow screen.

(I'm hoping any answer would also apply to the new Paperwhite... but I guess we can't know that.)
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Sure! You must install JB Patch:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512

It features a patch to modify margins in both pdf and not pdf view:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPa...Reader_Margins

I've reduced them too, even if 0 margin would be too small in my opinion.

But pay attention: this patch requires the first version of Kindle Paperwhite (the now-selling new one is NOT supported!) and firmware 5.3.4! So you could have to downgrade/upgrade it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_01T02_45_16+0200.png
Views:	1374
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	112417  

Last edited by Aeris; 09-30-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo121 View Post
Snip.

(I'm hoping any answer would also apply to the new Paperwhite... but I guess we can't know that.)
Negatory.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Downgrading OS?

Thanks for your reply. Your'e saying it's possible to downgrade a device's OS? A brand new Kindle bought with 5.3.8 or whatever can be downgraded to 5.3.4? How can I know that a device manufactured for 5.3.8 and upwards might even work with an older OS?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Your'e saying it's possible to downgrade a device's OS? A brand new Kindle bought with 5.3.8 or whatever can be downgraded to 5.3.4? How can I know that a device manufactured for 5.3.8 and upwards might even work with an older OS?
You "downgrade" an ** Original Kindle Paperwhite ** by installing an earlier Amazon image.

You can either trust Amazon's model matching in the install *.bin
OR
You can trust us because we say so.

(PS: If you don't trust us - what are you doing here?)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are we talking about a PW2 or a PW?
Is this a theoretical discussion? or do you have one?

"Device = nook" is all I see so I can't really guess.

They don't really change a great deal in the 5.3.x series up to .7
not having fiddled with a .8 (AFAIK) it would be pure speculation.

based on previous experiences I would go with what knc1 said but assumedly they will be releasing the sources so... as and when.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Aeris
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've downgraded it and I'm so happy with version 5.3.4
It's an easy process, just download the firmware file.bin from the official website and update the system. The important thing is that you find a way to buy an old kindle, if you need these hacks. We don't know if the new one will be ever cracked and how much support will get...
Old 09-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Indigo121
Enthusiast

Not a theoretical discussion, I'm asking specifically about the _upcoming_ new Kindle Paperwhite (KP2?). I'm thinking of buying it but only if margins are editable on the device itself. Changing each file's stylesheet is a bit tedious. (Unlike Kobos which seem to have more flexible options)

I understand it's a bit speculative since the device is not yet out.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Indigo121
Enthusiast

What do you mean that we don't know if it will be "cracked"? You need to crack a device to reinstall its firmware?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not a theoretical discussion, I'm asking specifically about the _upcoming_ new Kindle Paperwhite
- - -
Not a "bit speculative" - impossible to know.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Aeris

Crack or hack, as you like to call it... until it is not hacked you can't install all the beatiful stuff that you find around in this forum section. And even if and when it will be hacked, you won't be able to install this stuff because it won't be compatible with that specific model so it should to be rewritten etc... don't know how many people will apply in these efforts. By now, the only solution you have is to buy the old paperwhite and crack it NOW or a completely different device. On the new paperwhite you won't be able to set margins, if amazon itself doesn't modify the firmware for allowing this

Last edited by Aeris; 09-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
What do you mean that we don't know if it will be "cracked"? You need to crack a device to reinstall its firmware?
You do not need to do anything other than follow Amazon's directions to install an Amazon firmware image.
Now or Later.

If your asking about the new model of the Kindle Paperwhite and installing after-market modifications to the firmware -
we can not answer your question.

But read "crack" as in: "cracking the puzzle"

Nor can we tell if it will be possible to install an earlier firmware version for the original model on the newer model.

If your asking about the initial model of the Kindle Paperwhite - you have the answer on this forum:
* Install a version of the Amazon Kpw firmware for which the device jailbreak is available;
* Continue from there onward.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
twobob

Quote:
Not a theoretical discussion, I'm asking specifically about the _upcoming_ new Kindle Paperwhite (KP2?). I'm thinking of buying it but only if margins are editable on the device itself. Changing each file's stylesheet is a bit tedious. (Unlike Kobos which seem to have more flexible options)

Well. in that case.

I have no idea.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Welcome to the defective by design world.*

Quote:
It's not only a bit speculative - it's asking questions which are impossible to answer right now. Nobody here has ever seen that device or the software running on it yet. We could only speculate that something might be found one day or another (and the chances are getting smaller).

So: if you want to be reasonably sure to get a device that you can modify, get an "old" PW. Don't expect the "new" PW to be modifiable in the near future. (I'm not ruling out the possibility - but don't expect it).

(*) That's mostly targeted at DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), but also at Closed Source and Closed Platforms.

Oh, and just for the record: I do think that the Kindles are top-notch e-reader devices, both in terms of hardware and software. I just don't understand why Amazon is so violently opposed to opportunities to make it even better or to listen to their customers.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
snip.

Oh, and just for the record: I do think that the Kindles are top-notch e-reader devices, both in terms of hardware and software. I just don't understand why Amazon is so violently opposed to opportunities to make it even better or to listen to their customers.
This. just why???