Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #676
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I don't link a lot of Christian fiction, but this one sounds interesting.

Free, No Less Days by Amanda G Stevens.

Kobo
B&N
Amazon

Quote:
How many lifetimes can God expect one man to live? Over a century old, David Galloway isolates himself from the mortal humans who die or desert him by making a quiet life as a used bookstore owner in Northern Michigan. But then he spots a news article about a man who, like him, should be dead.

Daredevil celebrity Zachary Wilson walked away unscathed from what should have been a deadly fall. David tracks the man down, needing answers. Soon David discovers a close-knit group of individuals as old as he is who offer the sort of kinship and community he hasn’t experienced for decades—but at what cost?

David finds himself keeping secrets other than his own. . .protecting more than himself alone. He’ll have to decide what’s worth the most to him—security or community. When crimes come to light that are older than any mortal, he fears the pressure is more than he can stand. What does God require of him, and is David strong enough to see it through?
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #677
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I don't link a lot of Christian fiction, but this one sounds interesting.

Free, No Less Days by Amanda G Stevens.

Kobo
B&N
Amazon
I started that book yesterday...it's interesting so far.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #678
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Addicted to buying ebooks? Thinking that it's not _you_ who has a problem, it's really _everyone_ else? Thinking that you can stop anytime that you want but, strangely, thinking of frequenting the Ebook Addicts' Support Thread, for some reason?

Here's something to make your condition worse:
https://www.christianbook.com/page/ebooks/free-ebooks.

There's actually a lot of good, free ebooks there. Probably all ePub's.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 08-04-2018 at 05:46 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #679
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Addicted to buying ebooks? Thinking that it's not _you_ who has a problem, it's really _everyone_ else? Thinking that you can stop anytime that you want but, strangely, thinking of frequenting the Ebook Addicts' Support Thread, for some reason?

Here's something to make your condition worse:
https://www.christianbook.com/page/ebooks/free-ebooks.

There's actually a lot of good, free ebooks there. Probably all ePub's.
Unfortunately, Christianbook doesn't let you download the books unless you pay something for them. Free books can only be read in the CBD app or a browser.

The various books usually are free at other stores (Kobo, Amazon, whatever) that do allow downloads. Many of the other stores have been making it harder to search just for free books, though, so I still use the Christianbook free page to find books and then "buy" them somewhere else. I usually copy the ISBN from the description and search on that in another store's search box.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #680
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Unfortunately, Christianbook doesn't let you download the books unless you pay something for them. Free books can only be read in the CBD app or a browser.

The various books usually are free at other stores (Kobo, Amazon, whatever) that do allow downloads. Many of the other stores have been making it harder to search just for free books, though, so I still use the Christianbook free page to find books and then "buy" them somewhere else. I usually copy the ISBN from the description and search on that in another store's search box.
That is not true. It instantly goes to your CBD app automatically but you can view your account and then show all of the eBooks you have purchased (even the free ones will be shown) and then you can download them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #681
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That is not true. It instantly goes to your CBD app automatically but you can view your account and then show all of the eBooks you have purchased (even the free ones will be shown) and then you can download them.

Dale

When's the last time you checked? The first book is free and can't be downloaded. The second one was paid for and can be.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #682
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Hmm, strange for me it showed I could do both on what I bought on this free sale but as I looked further back into my list of 19 books, most of which are free ones, I did find some that did not have download as an option. Sorry, I doubted, but it does not seem to be related to all free books but perhaps it depends on the deal with the author of the book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:56 PM   #683
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

_From the Maccabees to the Mishnah_, by Shaye J.D. Cohen, now in its 3rd edition, is only _$2.99_.

The ratings are exceptional.

The "print" edition is $35.00 (psst! Hey, Amazon: all books that you read are "print" books, Braille being a major exception. The difference is in _how_ they are printed). So, that amounts to a sweet 91% off. If there is a regular price for the Kindle edition stated, I didn't see it.

The history of the Maccabees is never mentioned in the Old Testament, except, in my view, in prophecy (in the sense of prediction) in the book of Daniel. Their exploits and rule were during the "Silent" 400 years from the end of the Old Testament to the appearance of John the Baptizer and Jesus. Someone may have to correct me here, but the Jews of Jesus' day had the Talmud, which was a commentary on the Law of Moses. The Mishnah was a commentary upon the Commentary. If memory serves me correctly, the Mishnah did not achieve its full development until well after Jesus' advent. I find it all very interesting (but don't let that keep you from buying it anyway).

https://www.amazon.com/Maccabees-Mis...accabees+cohen

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 08-16-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:38 AM   #684
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Shaye JD Cohen is a professor at Harvard. A couple of courses are available as open courseware on video.

This article provides links to the two courses on iTunes.

Here's a link to one of the two courses which is available on http://courses.biblicalarchaeology.org/hebrewbible/#
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #685
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=aa_sbox_sort?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck %3A"eerdmans"&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords="eerdmans"&ie=UTF8&qid=1534995135.

The place to go to find some new (new in price reduction) Eerdmans titles. There are about a dozen at the 99-cent price point, and about another 12 at the $2.99 price point. I requested Kindle books, sorted by price, but it didn't come out perfectly--some higher-priced books snuck in among the ones that belonged in the results.

Note: most of these books are difficult reading for the non-scholarly/non-academic types, of which present company is _included_.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 08-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #686
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post

The history of the Maccabees is never mentioned in the Old Testament, ....
Unless you have a bible with the Deuterocanical/Apocrypha books. As a youngling the Maccabees (1&2) were some of my favorite books of the (Catholic) Bible.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #687
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Unless you have a bible with the Deuterocanical/Apocrypha books. As a youngling the Maccabees (1&2) were some of my favorite books of the (Catholic) Bible.
Thanks. I had forgotten about them. And if I had said "canonical books," people would want to know whose canon that I was talking about.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 08-23-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #688
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

The Nag Hammadi Scriptures edited by Marvin W. Meyer is $1.99. This is a collection of mostly gnostic works found sealed in jars in Nag Hammadi, Egypt in 1945. Since all translations were necessarily done after 1923, none are in the US public domain and, as far as I know, this HarperCollins edition is the only English translation available.

B&N
Kobo
Amazon

While I'm here, the NIV Fast Facts Bible is $.99. If you're looking for an NIV ebook, this is the cheapest it ever gets. If you already have an NIV, this one is full of "fascinating trivia".

Quote:
This Bible is designed to creatively engage Bible readers who have a passion for finding out interesting facts about the Bible. It features unique Bible book introductions that point to fascinating details that can be found in each of the Bible’s 66 books. At the end of each book is a full page of intriguing questions that will drive readers back into the text to discover the answers for themselves.
B&N
Kobo
Christianbook
Amazon
Old 08-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #689
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Richard Elliott Friedman's The Hidden Book in the Bible is $1.99.

Friedman is a scholar that believes that the Biblical "J" source can be unwound from the rest of the text into a continuous narrative that is, in his words, "the earliest lengthy prose composition known to us". The Hidden Book in the Bible is Friedman's own translation of this narrative with an appendix explaining some of the evidence leading him to his conclusions.

Quote:
The Appendix has four sections. The first is a collection of evidence for the work’s unity. The second contains evidence for its antiquity. The third is a response to and criticism of recent scholarship that asserts a late date of composition of these texts. And the fourth is a chart showing the distribution of terminology that characterizes this work.
One of the reasons for buying this particular book is that Friedman believes the J story extends past the Pentateuch and into the Deuteronomistic history, up to the first two chapters of 1 Kings. Both Who Wrote the Bible and The Bible with Sources Revealed end with Deuteronomy, but this book includes the entirety of what Friedman identifies as the J source along with his textual notes.

B&N
Kobo
Amazon
Old 09-01-2018, 01:24 AM   #690
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

https://www.amazon.com/Diatessaron-T..._1535775051331.

Modern, reader-friendly translation of Tatian's Diatessaron. Only _99 cents_.

Amazon has just about quit giving previews, but here's one better, or as good, as they provide: https://books.google.com/books?id=U06WBgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inaut hor:"Tatian+the+Assyrian"&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjB sNv1gJndAhWiyoMKHV3yA6cQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q&f=fal se.

My laptop is still bricked, and this smartphone has become so buggy that I can hardly use it. Fixing one or both is not my idea of a fun Labor Day weekend . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-01-2018 at 01:44 AM.