Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I read pdfs, comics and non-fiction books on my Samsung Chromebook Plus, usually flipped round in tablet mode. The bright 1920 x 1080 12.3" screen makes this a real pleasure.

It runs Android apps very well indeed.

It's a bit heavy to hold up for long so I have to have it propped up, either on my knees, a cushion, or in 'tent' mode on a table, but this is rarely a problem.

(I read fiction on my eInk Kobo H2O.)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I read on a G Pad X™ LG VK815 8.3" - perfect for me - unfortunately it is having problems with the touch screen - I have to press harder than I like to get it to perform. Android 6. I've been looking for a new one, but haven't found any I like. I don't want to upgrade from Android 6, so that is a problem. As I understand it (and I could be wrong) above Android 6, ebooks are duplicated from Calibre Companion to whatever ebook reader one is using (its an Android thing, not a CC problem).
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
aduffbrew
Enthusiast
aduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Nova 2 & iPad Mini 5
I’m not much for movies or television so I do a lot of reading, especially in the evenings. For years I used an iPad Mini. I found the 7.9” size nearly ideal for reading both sitting in a chair or lounging in bed. As I’ve gotten older, eye strain and insomnia became a problem. I reluctantly switched to an e-ink Carta HD device. It took some adjustment. By comparison they are ugly and slow but I’m glad I did. The difference in my health is profound.

I chose the Boyue Likebook Plus because I wanted a more all-in-one reading experience. I’ve added a few news apps, several bookstore apps, and finally cloudLibrary and Overdrive/Libby for library access. With the included reader for all my own ePub files and it’s a great solution for me.
aduffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've used a plenty of tablets, for reading and for other purposes. My max comfortable size is 8" for reading and the screen needs to have a high DPI.

I've used a HTC Flyer, a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and now have an Asus ZenPad S8.0. My Surface Pro 2 I never use for reading. Neither do I use my phone (even if my Yotaphone has an e-ink screen). But I still prefer my Kobo Aura One.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #20
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
When I travel I bring along my Samsung Tab-A 8". I like it just fine. It gets the job done.

Last edited by cfrizz; 08-29-2018 at 10:03 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrae View Post
What kind of device do you use to do your reading? Do you care which device you do it on? What size do you like?

I have never done actual reading on Tablets. I wonder what you guys have to share.
I use my ipad for audiobooks. I like to read and listen at the same time otherwise I use my Oasis or paperwhite or kobo
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #22
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've used a plenty of tablets, for reading and for other purposes. My max comfortable size is 8" for reading and the screen needs to have a high DPI.

I've used a HTC Flyer, a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and now have an Asus ZenPad S8.0. My Surface Pro 2 I never use for reading. Neither do I use my phone (even if my Yotaphone has an e-ink screen). But I still prefer my Kobo Aura One.
I have a zenpad 8 as well. They have amazingly good screen quality
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #23
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
With me, it depends on what I'm reading. I use my Kobo Aura H2O for novels and certain reference works. (The FreeBSD Handbook is available in epub, for example, and so are several O'Reilly works.)

I read PDFs on tablets, mostly gaming books. My Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F is great for that. If I'm on the go, I use my Blackberry Playbook. It's only 7", but I find the screen perfectly readable in landscape mode.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
anything up to 10 inch works for me.
experimenting by closing one eye, then the other, suggests that anything bigger would be too big to"see" the whole screen, without moving my eyes/my head, at my normal reading distance.
( propped up in bed, using ladndcape,m is how I mostly read)
I have used 6, 7, 8, 8.9 & 10 inch devices, and found that I prefer the larger ones. I don't much care for white backgrounds, which is what you get on an e-ink device. I prefer a tablet where I can set page colours and blue filters etc to suit .
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Incidentally, despite doing a lot of reading on 10" class tablets, I find it too big in portrait for reading prose fiction and generally read in 2-column landscape mode. Even on the 8" iPad mini, I prefer 2-column landscape.

I guess I prefer my books on the smallish side. I prefer MMPB over HC or TPB, too.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #26
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Incidentally, despite doing a lot of reading on 10" class tablets, I find it too big in portrait for reading prose fiction and generally read in 2-column landscape mode. Even on the 8" iPad mini, I prefer 2-column landscape.

i agree, with the 8.9, 10.1 inch tablets I use only in landscape 2 column, which is not dissimilar, size-wise, to reading an actual paper book. It also gives me a lot of words per screen so less frequent page turns, which is more relaxing.
I do also have a 6 inch paperwhite , but I don't read on it at home , I just have it for occasional portability.

The way I read is propped up against a bed rest, so I can balance the larger tablets, in landscape, on my body, by using the tablet cover as a stand.
I don't have to support the weight at all with my hands. just lift a finger to tap for next page..... same position with same tablets works well for Netflix, Plex, Amazon video also, which is an added bonus. and would work for audiobook playback except that audiobooks just send me to sleep....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
The way I read is propped up against a bed rest, so I can balance the larger tablets, in landscape, on my body, by using the tablet cover as a stand.
I don't have to support the weight at all with my hands. just lift a finger to tap for next page..... same position with same tablets works well for Netflix, Plex, Amazon video also, which is an added bonus. and would work for audiobook playback except that audiobooks just send me to sleep....
Lol, I use pillows. But yep, like you, I don't actually carry the full tablet (+Smart Case-clone) weight. I'm a side sleeper so the tablet's usually sitting directly on the bed being propped up by pillows.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #28
azerggc
azerggc began at the beginning.

Device: android
I personally use my samsung galaxy note 8, easy and pleasant to read on it
azerggc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #29
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Although I own an iPad and a Kindle Fire, I hardly use them for reading ebooks, because reading on an LCD screen can give me eye strain. I recently got a Likebook Mars, an e-ink device that runs Android, and I have been reading books with the Kindle and Kobo apps. At 7.8 inches, it is a good size for reading. The page size is close to that of a small trade paperback, which is bigger than the mass market paperback size of a 6 inch ereader.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tablet android reading