Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
ntamas
Connoisseur
ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3 + Kindle keyboard
Question Restoring your Kindle content won't restore everything

Hi! I've just recently resetted my Kindle and then restored my content saved by ImageUSB by Passmark.

The process was the following:

1. After resetting I typed my wifi password in order to "register" the device with my account.

2. I was waiting for a while and let it resync my content + I also used the menu option for this.

3. I restored the whole content with ImageUSB.

But several data hadn't been restored. Although I restored "everything", it forgot the contents of my collections. It showed my collections with their names but none of them had any items in it. So I manually had to add the contents to my collections. (annoying)

It also forgot the browser bookmarks, the correct time and default dictionary. (and I guess all the other settings in Settings)

So my question is: Where are all these data stored? I'm totally sure: at least not on its main partition.

But I think this would be the situation with other Kindles as well. (I mean: some information can't be backed up by simply imaging the content of Kindle's main partition) Why can't you restore everything as it was? (or at least the collections)
ntamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
The Kindle's flash storage is actually divided into multiple partitions. The only partition visible via USB is a FAT32 partition mounted to /mnt/us/.

Collections data for sideloaded books are stored in /var/local/cc.db (iirc) which is inaccessible to us unless the device is jailbroken or have serial port/hardware access.

Two options if you want to be able to restore collections:
  • Send/email books to Kindle so you can make use of Amazon cloud syncing
  • Jailbreak and use Calibre + Kindle Collections plugin + LibrarianSync (JB may not be possible depending on model and firmware version)
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
ntamas
Connoisseur
ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ntamas once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that those books were bought from Kindle Store, so they are not sideloaded.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntamas View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that those books were bought from Kindle Store, so they are not sideloaded.
Are the collections downloaded to device (starred)? If yes, just leave it plugged in and give it time to sync. Process isn't exactly instantaneous and there are occasional glitches (sometimes server related). The glitches have always resolved themselves eventually for me. Patience is the key (unfortunately).

Note, I don't think the Kindles like collections with more than 999 books. To be safe, I try to keep them well below 990.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-12-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
ntamas
Connoisseur

Quote:
Are the collections downloaded to device (starred)? If yes,
Yes, but as far as I know there is no full support for collections on Kindle Keyboard.

It's weird because it recognized my collections directly from the cloud, but wasn't able to assign the books/items to the right collections.

Downloading took just a few minutes, but collections remained with 0 counters. So it was like: collection1 (0), collection2 (0), collection3 (0) ; item1, item2, item3 etc...
Not like this: collection1 (inside: 3: item1, item2, item3), collection2 (inside: 4: item4, item5, item6, item7) etc...

Quote:
collections with more than 999 books
LOL I have only 8 collections. But yeah there must be a limitation for the number of collections too.

Last edited by ntamas; 05-13-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 01:28 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Does the Kindle Keyboard even support Cloud Collections? On the upside, I believe there are various tools available for managing collections on that and given firmware hasn't been updated in ages, likely guaranteed jailbreakable.

What you're describing is normal (at least on PW3 with cloud collections). It's kinda like covers - takes a while to populate. Not much you can do except wait. That is unless you want to go through the effort of manually adding the books to the collection again on the Kindle.

Note, the 999 is books inside a collection.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
ntamas
Connoisseur

Quote:
Note, the 999 is books inside a collection
Yes I got it. That's why I wrote: "too". implying that there is also a limit for the number of books inside a collection.

Quote:
Does the Kindle Keyboard even support Cloud Collections?
I'm not sure now.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Does the Kindle Keyboard even support Cloud Collections?
No it doesn't. you can copy from another old Kindle but it knows nothing of the cloud collections on my Fires.
Little.Egret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntamas View Post
Err, if you load from the Kindle Store using USB (which is allowed) that's sideloading.
Little.Egret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Where did the "sideloading" expression come from?

Camera, phone, tablet, ereaders, certain game gadgets, PMP etc all can or do use mass storage USB. You can either drag and drop using a filemanager or open a library program. There have always been stupid exceptions like the Sony Minidisk and Apple imposing their nasty programs to manage file transfer.

A lot of makers Apps for gadgets are barely better than spyware. I don't use Adobe, Sony, Amazon or Kobo apps to "talk" to my ereaders.

I never even read the term "Sideloading" before visiting this forum. You have to charge stuff anyway, so I've never found it a chore to plug in via USB and use file transfer.

Before USB we did the same thing with RS232 serial. Simply a fatter connector, slower and having to use a compatible file transfer program.

Some stuff (inc iPods long ago) uses Firewire. It was killed by its royalty costs.

There is also Serial via USB, Picture mode USB, Video streaming USB, USB HID and networking via USB. But for file transfer, like MP3, JPG, Mobi, epub, mp4 etc the Mass Storage USB is best.

I can sort of imagine why it's called "sideloading", but it's daft and suggests that something is being bypassed. The Cloud isn't reliable. Gadgets are not reliable. The ONLY sensible way to buy digital downloads is to download to a laptop/tablet/PC, make backups and use USB transfer to put stuff on the gadget/ereader.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #11
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Where did the "sideloading" expression come from?
Upload and download refer to transfers between a local and a remote device. Sideloading is a transfer between two local devices. See Wikipedia.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #12
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Upload and download refer to transfers between a local and a remote device. Sideloading is a transfer between two local devices. See Wikipedia.
Wikipedia is
A: Very USA biased.
C: Often inaccurate.

"Upload and download refer to transfers between a local and a remote device."

True. It's ALSO transfer between a local host and client. LAN or USB. USB is inherently Master/Slave aka Host and Client.

This Wikipedia sentence contradicts the usage of the term 'Sideloading' here:
"Sideloading typically refers to media file transfer to a mobile device via USB, Bluetooth, WiFi "
That's a nonsense article.

Sideloading is just a pointless USA neologism as far as I can see for USB transfer to an ereader. Stuff also gets copied OFF and ereader by the USB Mass Storage protocol, like annotations or making a backup. To me the term obfuscates the process and sort of implies that WiFi or 3G is somehow better or more official. USB Mass Storage protocol and file copies is the best way to manage books on an eReader. Also enhances battery life compared to WiFi or Mobile connections.

Last edited by FrustratedReader; 05-15-2019 at 05:37 AM.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Wikipedia is
A: Very USA biased.
C: Often inaccurate.

"Upload and download refer to transfers between a local and a remote device."

True. It's ALSO transfer between a local host and client. LAN or USB. USB is inherently Master/Slave aka Host and Client.

This Wikipedia sentence contradicts the usage of the term 'Sideloading' here:
"Sideloading typically refers to media file transfer to a mobile device via USB, Bluetooth, WiFi "
That's a nonsense article.

Sideloading is just a pointless USA neologism as far as I can see for USB transfer to an ereader. Stuff also gets copied OFF and ereader by the USB Mass Storage protocol, like annotations or making a backup. To me the term obfuscates the process and sort of implies that WiFi or 3G is somehow better or more official. USB Mass Storage protocol and file copies is the best way to manage books on an eReader. Also enhances battery life compared to WiFi or Mobile connections.
Hmmm...A lot of people from other countries around the world use the term, which leads me to believe that it's not "just a pointless USA neologism"

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote