Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2021, 09:25 PM   #31
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Then again, I have put a 6 inch e-reader into a pants pocket.
But was it comfortable? Was it convenient?

I, too, have been able to do the same because I tend to wear rather baggy clothes. However, even then, there are times when it can be a bit of a stretch, making it awkward to retrieve or put away the reader. In such instances, a smaller device is both more convenient and comfortable.

When I know that I'll be needing a device with more screen real estate, I usually carry around a shoulder bag or knapsack. And if I'm going to do that, then chances are I'll want to carry around something even larger than 6 inches in size.

But I'm not everyone, and I suppose there must be a market for such sized devices. I just hope that they don't forget that there is also a market for smaller sized devices as well.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:43 AM   #32
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by epaper View Post
I know. I was so excited for the a7cc because of the global release rumor.
thanks for the link. Looking at the specs (A5 vs A5pro vs A7) I think the A5 pro would be the best. its an upgraded version of the A5 without a huge price increase. 6gb ram with 128gb storage, plus android 10- this would make it relevant for at least 510 years if you dont mind the b/w screen. for me personally i really want the a7cc- mainly because the screen looks to be clearer than the a5cc
I am curious to know, what do you need all that storage for?
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:43 AM   #33
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
The storage can become scarce, for example, with Kiwix Wikipedia (40 GB) and several Comix (cbr, cbz), each of mine has an average of 200 MB
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:27 AM   #34
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
I intend to use it as my main phone, so music, podcasts, offline wiktionary, etc. My current phone has 64GB, which is too little. The more, the better, really. I don't know whether reading comics would be feasible at all on such a small screen, but they also take up quite a bit of space.

Why wouldn't you want more space?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #35
layt
layt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 8th Gen (5.13.3 jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Exactly so.

Checking a few paperbacks and hardbacks I have to hand, the text blocks inside the books are:

15cm x 8.5cm = 15.9:9
17cm x 9.8cm = 15.6:9
16.5cm x 9.6cm = 15.5:9
15.7 x 8.8cm = 16:9

So a 16:9 screen seems t match the text block aspect ratio of traditionally published books much more than the 4:3 of most ebook readers.
However, 'text block' size/format ratio is not the same as 'page' size/format ratio because you are discounting the left and right margins.

I believe the white space of the margins has an effect on the reading experience, making the process of moving the eyes' focus from one line to the next (or scanning through a paragraph or page while searching for a particular word or phrase) easier, as there is more 'space' for the eyes to roam and get their bearings without the distraction of the vertical (most often dark) border created by the screen bezel being jammed in right up against the edge of the text.

This would not necessarily be a conscious distraction, but there nevertheless.

The (deep-) reading experience involves a complex but much-studied and now quite well understood eye-brain process which is demonstrably sensitive to, and affected by changes in the delivery of the text - e.g. screen (transmitted light) vs paper (reflected light) or the absence/presence of serifs.

The easier it is for the eye-brain to 'see' the text, the greater the ease of reading and also the greater the comprehension of the subject matter. This has been proven time and time again in controlled studies of how much readers retain, and how well they understand what they have just read after reading from a screen vs reading from a book or printed page. The presence of serifs is also proven to ease and therefore aid the process of deep reading.

I have not seen any studies on reading from e-readers (e-ink) but I suspect the ease of deep reading and effect on ability to concentrate etc. lies somewhere between screen and traditional paper. E-ink is certainly less tiring on the eyes - I think that much is generally agreed upon here.
layt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #36
armanleftarm
armanleftarm began at the beginning.

Device: KPW1
It's been two weeks and I'm loving my A7 CC tbh, but wish I could get notifications from native and cloned apps. I don't get any from either. The only certain way to reach me now is by phone, and I'm being shown some SMS's don't come through.

Last edited by armanleftarm; 04-08-2021 at 03:04 PM.
armanleftarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #37
armanleftarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanleftarm View Post
It's been two weeks and I'm loving my A7 CC tbh, but wish I could get notifications from native and cloned apps. I don't get any from either. The only certain way to reach me now is by phone, and I'm being shown some SMS's don't come through.
This fixes the SMS problem I was having: https://old.reddit.com/r/eink/commen...g_sms/gskhdj6/
Old 04-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #38
armanleftarm

Desparately need notification services working on this phone. Anybody?
Old 04-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #39
armanleftarm

My A7 CC has started acting really weird starting an hour ago:

- Started not recognizing my SIM card intermittently for a few minutes
- Powercycling on its own, turning on to the spinning VISION logo (which seems like a recovery mode, it doesn't come up on normal reboots)

Now it just doesn't recognize my SIM at all (or a friends), and it reboots on its own (once every few minutes).

Has this happened to anybody else!!? I'm scared, I just received this two weeks ago and love this phone, now I can't even use it!!

Edit: I kept the phone turned off for a half hour and when I turned it on it started acting normally again. No water damage on the phone, no extreme heat. Really concerning behaviour, was panicked, really love this phone, push notification problems notwithstanding..

Last edited by armanleftarm; 04-16-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #40
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I would be interested to have Lineage OS on it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote