Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 04:38 PM   #31
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Then you should not read Last Exit to Brooklyn.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #32
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
I couldn't resist an update of my dissing of The Road by Cormac McCarthy - a superb review on Goodreads as to why this is such a bad book. It's by J. G. Keely, posted in April 2008. Although old, it's the first review to appear, apparently reflecting its popularity.
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #33
TeresaCr
TeresaCr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Whereas you look at, say, Robert B Parker, he could have omitted any dialogue tags and you'd STILL have known whether it was Spenser or Hawk (or the ubiquitous and vexing Susan, who I always wished would get run over by a runaway bean truck).

Hitch
I agree about adding frequent-enough attributions. And I love Robert B Parker. But in every book of his, I find myself wondering why he felt the need to include every possible attribution. I guess it became a kind of trademark after a while. Probably the trouble with being so famous.

Teressa
TeresaCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaCr View Post
I agree about adding frequent-enough attributions. And I love Robert B Parker. But in every book of his, I find myself wondering why he felt the need to include every possible attribution. I guess it became a kind of trademark after a while. Probably the trouble with being so famous.

Teressa
Probably early interference by some CW teacher, somewhere, saying that longer-running conversations became hard to follow. Dunno. He was sure the king of "said," though. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #35
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On the other side of the coin there are a lot of young adult books on Project Gutenberg where there are two people talking to each other they start their sentences like, "Well, Bob, ...?" and Bob answers, "Yes, John, ..."
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
On the other side of the coin there are a lot of young adult books on Project Gutenberg where there are two people talking to each other they start their sentences like, "Well, Bob, ...?" and Bob answers, "Yes, John, ..."
MWAHAHAHA, that's right up there with AYKB...

"As you know, Bob..."

The second I see that in a ms, or hear it on the TV, that's it for me. I'm outta there.

Hitch
Old 10-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If there are bunch of people chit-chating, then you might address a particular person. It's weird if there are only two people chatting. Unless it gets to shouting and rage and then in some cultures the other person's name might shouted.
"Bob, will you shut up!" Jack screamed.
"Jack, what are you doing?" exclaimed Bob.

Maybe.

"As you know" can be stupid. Especially at a badly done info dump.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If there are bunch of people chit-chating, then you might address a particular person. It's weird if there are only two people chatting. Unless it gets to shouting and rage and then in some cultures the other person's name might shouted.
"Bob, will you shut up!" Jack screamed.
"Jack, what are you doing?" exclaimed Bob.

Maybe.

"As you know" can be stupid. Especially at a badly done info dump.
"As you know Bob" is always stupid. It's impossible to do it well unless you construct some potboiler plotline where the hearer has lost their memory or some absurd contrivance like that. That's why you get hangers-on; so that MCs can explain things that "everybody knows" to the hanger-on/third party and by virtue thereof, the audience.

Hitch
Old 10-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
"As you know Bob" is always stupid. It's impossible to do it well unless you construct some potboiler plotline where the hearer has lost their memory or some absurd contrivance like that.
Probably true. I used to be very dogmatic. I'm trying to be more nuanced and sometimes fail one way or another.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #40
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
MWAHAHAHA, that's right up there with AYKB...

"As you know, Bob..."

The second I see that in a ms, or hear it on the TV, that's it for me. I'm outta there.

Hitch
I always figured TV shows did that kind of thing so in case anyone new to the series tuned in they would learn the characters' names. It's not something I want to see in a book, though. All I want in a book is an occasional "Bob said" so I can keep track. It doesn't need to be after every single sentence.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote