Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
www.archive.org is where I got just about all of my old time radio shows for free. I use my MP3 player exclusively for that. Can't ever remember playing any music off of it yet.
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One book that is useful for OTR programs is "On the Air" by John Dunning. I found a copy of the hard copy book some yrs back on Amazon, but it's also out in Kindle format now. On The Air. It isn't cheap, but still less expensive than the hard copy version is.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I just checked. BBC iplayer gives me "not available outside the UK" for everything. However, maybe it works on a PC?
I don't use radio on the PC,just my ipad and phone.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
I just checked. BBC iplayer gives me "not available outside the UK" for everything. However, maybe it works on a PC?
I don't use radio on the PC,just my ipad and phone.
You can use WunderRadio in your iPad and iPhone to listen to BBC radio.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Thanks, JSwolf. I just use Tunnelbear.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I use TuneIn Radio to access BBC Radio on my iPod touch. On my Android devices, I use either TuneIn Radio Pro or BBC Radio (third party app).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Electronic ink and instant access to thousands of hours of radio drama.
Damn, the future is awesome!
For nerds anyway.

You guys already posted the best sites, heres a webpage that has links to just about everything else.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have the original Star Wars trilogy radio plays that were broadcast on NPR during the early 80's.

Having listened to them on Australia's ABC FM national radio at that time, as soon as the CD's were released I snapped them up.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I have the original Star Wars trilogy radio plays that were broadcast on NPR during the early 80's.
Same here. In fact, I rushed home from work to hear the serial episodes on my not-so-local station.

And the 1988 NPR 50th anniversary remake of the War of the Worlds radio play. Which I also listened to when it was broadcast. (Highly recommended, if you run across it.)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #25
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Thanks for the inspiration, all. I was trying to figure out what to take to listen to on my upcoming road trip. I'm thinking Gunsmoke and Have Gun, Will Travel are just the thing, with some Pinto Pete mixed in.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #26
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I'm listening to old episodes of Phillip Marlowe currently.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #27
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I consider it one blessing of my life that I was born just soon enough to enjoy listening to the old radio shows every week before they went off the air.

I listened to Gunsmoke and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar every Sunday evening during the 1960-61 school year.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #28
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I consider it one blessing of my life that I was born just soon enough to enjoy listening to the old radio shows every week before they went off the air.

I listened to Gunsmoke and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar every Sunday evening during the 1960-61 school year.
We didn't often listen to radio dramas when I was growing up, except on long drives. This was in the 70's, and my dad would listen to WCCO AM. I don't remember the program, but at the end of it, the narrator would say "pleasant... dreams?"

Edit: I just looked it up, it was CBS Radio Mystery Theater

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 04-17-2013 at 12:22 AM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I'm listening to old episodes of Phillip Marlowe currently.
I never realized there were so many private eye shows on back then. Right now, I'm listening to Barrie Craig, Confidential Investigator on 20th Century Radio. He's no mere PI, he's a CI. I guess that's a higher rank. LOL
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #30
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I never realized there were so many private eye shows on back then. Right now, I'm listening to Barrie Craig, Confidential Investigator on 20th Century Radio. He's no mere PI, he's a CI. I guess that's a higher rank. LOL
SHHHHH!!!!

Back in the mid-90s one of the public radio stations in New York City concentrated on children's programming during the day. It was a 30 minute drive to my daughter's pre-school (she was 4 that year) and I timed it so I'd be picking her up as a story program (usually one of the Rabbit Ears productions) was starting. The story would just be finishing up when we got to the driveway.

I had two reasons. First, I believed (and still do) that having her listen to a story was a good use of her time, good for developing focus and logic, etc. Second, when she was 4 years old she was a "talker." Having her listen to stories was good for my concentration while I drove!

Other favorite audio story series included the Kinetic City Super Crew (a science series), Growler Radio, and stories by Jim Weiss.

The radio station changed its format a couple of years later, but those were the golden years!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobook, hobbit, lotr, radio dramas, tolkien