Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #31
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Have you plugged it into a wall to charge AC? Do that not via the computer. Plug it in an leave it there for several hours.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #32
acicretu
acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.

Device: PRS-T1 (frozen), PRS-T2 Sony, Kobo Glo
yes Peter and yes Shopaholic thanks for your replies.

I did plug it in the wall charger, that's how I usually charge it...
Regarding Sony support, they sent me a link https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...2C66/kw/frozen
which was not helpful unfortunately, then I called and also chat with them... they said to send it for service. OK, I said, what is an estimate for repair? They said it is 99 cad + tax for replacing with a refurbished one actually. I said I paid 95 cad for my new one about 1.5 years ago...then they replied with a link to their store for PRS T2 at 99 cad +tax.

But I bought today the PRS T2 from Future Shop at 79 cad +tax , also I ordered today a Kobo Glo at 129 cad+ tax and includes a sleep cover (from Costco Canada).

Regarding my PRS T1, is still unchanged, frozen, and I had enough for now...maybe I'll try later on when I have time or maybe I'll just try to take it apart and make it back...we'll see
acicretu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #33
bbriggs
bbriggs began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1, kindle fire HD
I had a similar problem but much earlier in its life....so sony replaced a defective board for me while it was under warranty.....while the updated reader never lost power...I've had several issues of not being able to connect with the PC using Vista. such has now been cleared with the latest firmware upgrade to the PRS-T1. good luck with your unit.
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
When you pressed the reset button on the T1, how long did you hold it down for? I don't remember exactly how long I had to do that once but maybe less than 10 seconds. The screen went blank and the light on the bottom flashed. I pressed the power button and waited. It came back on fine.

*IF* it eventually does come back to life for you, maybe get rid of the books on it and add them one at a time. You could have a corrupt file on it that's mucking up your reader.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #35
acicretu
acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.

to Bbrigs: I use Windows 7, the computer won't see the reader at all, I got no chance to update the firmware

to Shopaholic: I tried both, pressing short and other times long... Yes, if I manage to get in somehow I'll erase everything as I suspect same thing, a corrupted file might be the cause of the pain
Thanks
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
Analoggab
Analoggab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
FYI, I was never able to correct the problem.
Apparrently the problem may be caused by a buggy book. Every time it tries to boot the reader, it tries to open the last book read which might be buggy or corrupted. So it jams every time on "opening book".

If there was a way to bypass this and tell the Reader to go to the Home screen instead that might solve the issue but the P1 isn't made like that.
Analoggab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #37
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analoggab View Post
FYI, I was never able to correct the problem.
Apparrently the problem may be caused by a buggy book. Every time it tries to boot the reader, it tries to open the last book read which might be buggy or corrupted. So it jams every time on "opening book".

If there was a way to bypass this and tell the Reader to go to the Home screen instead that might solve the issue but the P1 isn't made like that.
If it is on opening book it should go to the home screen instead of to the last book read. This is what mine does.

I would keep trying. I have had apparently dead Sony readers come back to life, just by repeatedly trying.

First I would keep turning it on till you are sure the battery is drained which it may be already

I would also hold the home button while doing this or push it right after. Eventually if it is trying to open a book it will stop doing that.

Sometimes I have to push the reset 5 or 6 times before it sees it.

I would also try hard reset again.

Not saying you should devote a lot of time to it, but have been in this position, once it took me a week of sporadic attempts, but I am kind of stubborn

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #38
acicretu

Mine is not working yet, still on the "opening book" page. I tried quite a few times many various procedures, I would say I wasted more than one week on this. I'll still try when I'll get bored (I will probably try to take it apart), but in the meantime I got a PRS T2 and a Kobo Glo as mentioned in a previous post.
There is no audio option on PRS T2, and I like Kobo Glo's light, which I bought it with a sleep cover; I like also the top button to enable/disable the light. So far I think Sony is better if you have PDFs but I use my tablet for PDFs rather than the ereader.
I would not buy any other reader without this light in it. I still have the SONY cover with LED light on PRS T2 but it is waaaaay beyond backlit display.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Well if it is not fixed by October I would be willing to take a whack at it I don't live too far from you but am in the Yukon working right now.

I'm not too crazy about the Aura backlight, but I might grow to like it when I am home reading on my balcony at night. I used the lighted cover last year, because my balcony is second story glassed in and the only glassed in balcony for blocks. Looks like a department store window if I have a light on but I agree the lighted cover is cumbersome.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #40
acicretu

I took my PRS T1 apart, and I disconnected the battery then connected back. Nothing changed.

I looked at Aura HD yesterday and I was willing to buy it until i got it in my hands. But I have already the Kobo GLO and that was quite a value at 129 + tax, including a 40 cad sleepcover (Costco deal), plus Costco warranty (extended one year because of purchasing with their card).

The Aura HD is nice and a bit bigger, I tested a few pdf files and I didn't like how it handles pdf... then I decided it is not worth it at 169 + tax, for this amount I got a Blackberry Playbook and it does so much more more; it is better for me to read the pdf files on Playbook.
But this is just my opinion, if the Aura will drop around 100 then I'll buy it, but again, for all other files than pdf.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #41
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Has anyone of you with a frozen PRS-T1 tried to boot rupors sd rescue image? This way you will gain direct access to the internal flash device via USB and also may login via serial console: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191604
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #42
acicretu

I tried the rescue packages from http://translate.googleusercontent.c...bSooLKsbJ-5soA
, but it still cannot be seen by computer.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #43
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

These are different. They are meant to automatically restore the internal flash memory to factory state - without any user invention, despite keeping home+menu pressed uppon boot.

The one I meant will boot the reader into recovery mode such that you gain access to a linux root shell on the reader as well as direct device access to the internal flash memory.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #44
acicretu

thanks Uboot,
I have no clue yet how to do that, I'll read again the post you have indicated and I'll try to figure it out.
Or there is a step by step procedure somewhere?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #45
uboot
Evangelist

It's not that easy, I am afraid.... Do you have any Linux knowledge? Do you know about tools like mount, dd, mkfs, fdisk, etc.?

I would try something like a manual factory reset on your reader first. That is formating the reader and the data partition as described here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...#Factory_Reset

It can be done via recovery shell or via usb access to the flash memory.

Last edited by uboot; 08-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.