Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Hopkins
Enthusiast
Hopkins began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 3G
Vertical Text

I've been playing around with vertical RTL text and can't seem to be able to have it display properly in Book View. The text lines are vertical, but the characters are all rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Before I dig into this further, can anyone confirm Book View supports vertical text?

Note:
  • The epub3 text displays properly in Readium and on a Paperwhite 3G (after conversion via KindleGen)
  • The display issue is seen on both Windows (0.9.6) and Linux (0.9.5) Sigil versions
  • The book passes the epub3 and CSS3 checks
  • Calibre reader also has the same issue

I've attached the epub3 file (Creative Commons) which I got from http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...fixed-and.html. The only changes I made were to correct the country code and add some ruby text.

I also attached Windows 10 screen shots from Sigil, Readium, and a rather blurry image from my Paperwhite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SigilVerticalText.png
Views:	305
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	150843   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadiumVerticalText.png
Views:	292
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	150844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paperwhite3GVerticalText.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	150845  
Attached Files
File Type: epub jp24bis6-ruby.epub (4.49 MB, 179 views)
Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This is actually a well known Qt bug (I found it once when searching their bug database), and so nothing we can do to fix it directly. That said .... I will test your epub with Qt 5.6.1 to see if their bug has been fixed yet. Perhaps someone on Arch Linux could test and report back if this bug still exists in Qt 5.7.0.

If the bug itself is in QtWebkit (which is where I think it is), then this bug will most likely not be fixed in any future release of Qt as they have dropped support for QtWebkit and you will have to wait for a QWebEngine (Chrome's version of WebKit) based version of Preview in order to get things to work.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 08-11-2016 at 08:41 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

No luck in Qt 5.6.1. The Qt bug report was opened in 2009 and still in progress.

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-529

Sorry,

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Hopkins
Enthusiast
Hopkins began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 3G
No worries, I can use Readium for any verification.
Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote