Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
jkdickin
jkdickin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Travelling with a Vox

I just got a Vox and am planning to travel internationally. I had heard that getting the following apps would be a good idea but those I've managed to find won't run on my Vox (don't know why) but I am looking for good suggestions for travel.

GateGuru - airport navigation for gates, restaurants, etc. - can't find it outside android market
Google Translate app - Haven't found a non-android market source for this yet
Google Maps app - Tried GM-Lite from getjar and it always tanks

Pointers as to where to get these and any other suggestions would be welcome.
John
jkdickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
The Google apps you might not be able to get working without the Google framework and getting that working is something that Kobo hackers like myself are still working on.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
jkdickin
jkdickin began at the beginning.

Jeff, That was something I didn't know about the device. Why is the GM-Lite on the getjar page then? I thought that was filtered for Kobo Vox devices.

I will look for alternatives and am open to suggestions.
Thanks
John
jkdickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
If you're going to be in the airplane for long you might want to consider a rechargable USB battery pack to greatly extend the 8 hours the Vox will run. They will recharge any device which uses the USB to charge.

Later: As discussed below this very likely won't work. So if you do purchase such a device test it first before counting on it.

Last edited by TonyToews; 11-12-2011 at 06:01 PM.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
If you're going to be in the airplane for long you might want to consider a rechargable USB battery pack to greatly extend the 8 hours the Vox will run. They will recharge any device which uses the USB to charge.
Make sure it's a 2amp charger or it won't work.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jeff, good point. I'd forgotten about that minor detail.

That said we've read postings from a Kobo employee which state that the device will charge from a regular 0.5 amp It's just that the indicator light won't go on and, obviously, it'll take eight hours to charge instead of two. Which basically means that if it's plugged in while you are using it it will only keep the battery roughly at the level it current is at.

BTW I keep meaning to test charging of the Vox from a laptop port. I'll do my best to remember to do that today.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Merc_Nut
Merc_Nut began at the beginning.

According to their site, the Vox cannot be charged through USB connection. They also indicate that only the supplied charger can be used. I wish that charging cord was a lot longer!

Quote:
You asked: "How do I charge my Kobo Vox".
We matched that to:
How do I charge my Kobo Vox?

Charging your Kobo Vox

While you can activate your Kobo Vox right out of the box, we recommend that you charge it for two hours before starting. It takes about five hours to charge your Kobo Vox completely.

To charge your Kobo Vox, connect it to the included wall charger and then plug the charger into a wall socket.

Note: You can only use the wall charger supplied by Kobo to charge your Kobo Vox. Do not use a third party charger. Check out the Kobo online Store to purchase accessories such as chargers.

Note: You cannot charge your Kobo Vox over USB.
Merc_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
That said we've read postings from a Kobo employee which state that the device will charge from a regular 0.5 amp It's just that the indicator light won't go on and, obviously, it'll take eight hours to charge instead of two. Which basically means that if it's plugged in while you are using it it will only keep the battery roughly at the level it current is at.

BTW I keep meaning to test charging of the Vox from a laptop port. I'll do my best to remember to do that today.
I just tried it using the Kobo Touch micro USB connector over night. Not only did the Vox not charge it dropped from 40% charge to 20% over night even though it was in sleep mode.

Later: This was on my laptop USB port.

Last edited by TonyToews; 11-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_Nut View Post
According to their site, the Vox cannot be charged through USB connection. They also indicate that only the supplied charger can be used.
However the screen that comes up when you plug in the Vox to a computer USB port states "NOTE: USB ports on your computer cannot properly charge your Kobo eReader." So that's not the same as what you quoted.

That said I find this surprising. I would've thought the Vox would at least accept a lower charge. I can see myself forgetting my Vox charger at home when I travel. I doubt very much you could buy the appropriate charger while on the road. At least for under $40 or $50 which I would find highly irritating.

Quote:
I wish that charging cord was a lot longer!
Agreed. Another foot or two would've been nice.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Check out the Kobo online Store to purchase accessories such as chargers.
I can't see where you can buy a charger on their website.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Tony; what was the Vox plugged into? Your PC or an external device?

Remember that a PC USB port is limited to 500 mA so very VERY limited power wise.

Many of the external wall-wart type chargers are more like 2A
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
TonyToews
Evangelist

Anyone think the following charger might work? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/XENTRIS-2AMP-...-/160675815150
Old 11-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Tony; what was the Vox plugged into? Your PC or an external device?

Remember that a PC USB port is limited to 500 mA so very VERY limited power wise.
My PC. Yes, I do understand the 500 mA limitations. But to me that means the Vox would charge in 8 hours instead of 2 hours. Which would be just fine by me as I'd just leave it plugged into the laptop over night.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
jefftheworld
Groupie

Any 2Amp USB charger should work. I've used several and they've done the job.

If you're traveling or need a replacement, chargers of this type are pretty cheap. I even have a dollar store near my house which sells them (though I'm not sure how much I trust the build quality at that price.

Realistically, you're looking at the $10-15 range, not $40-50.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Any 2Amp USB charger should work. I've used several and they've done the job.
<snip>
Realistically, you're looking at the $10-15 range, not $40-50.
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Tags
apps, travel, vox