Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2023, 09:46 AM   #46
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Grimdark magazine also posted a statement on AI.

They say that this is going to impact their open submissions window. For now, they have paused open submissions and are going on a "solicitation-only basis." They also realize this sucks because they are looking for new writers in all parts of the world.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:24 PM   #47
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Grimdark magazine also posted a statement on AI.

They say that this is going to impact their open submissions window. For now, they have paused open submissions and are going on a "solicitation-only basis." They also realize this sucks because they are looking for new writers in all parts of the world.
Thanks for that. So publishers are treating it seriously, which says something about either about the quality of the AI generated art, or about the quality of the approval and authentication processes. Not sure which, or maybe it's both.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2023, 10:37 AM   #48
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think that this publisher is taking it seriously because it takes time to check over a submission, see that it's A.I. generated junk (or possibly less junky A.I. plagiarism) and toss it out. And even with better auto-detect we would still need humans for the 'Does this plot make any sense' check.

Open submission simply can not work if the junk to readable ratio is too high. Particularly when the junk uses proper grammar and spelling and makes some sort of sense on the paragraph level.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:56 AM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Publisher and printer, in some countries, can be sued for plagiarism or libel. The LLM system combines content scraped from the internet from many sources, so is technically all plagiarism (though from combined sources) and could easily have libel.
The makers of these systems can't afford to human curate the input so that it's all PD and the users invoking the output are not usually qualified to spot plagiarism or libel.

So it's not just about reading it to spot if it's junk. The better it is and less like junk, the more likely it's going to infringe rights of existing people, or have real named people and apply plausible "junk" (i.e. lies) about them.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:33 PM   #50
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I think that this publisher is taking it seriously because it takes time to check over a submission, see that it's A.I. generated junk (or possibly less junky A.I. plagiarism) and toss it out. And even with better auto-detect we would still need humans for the 'Does this plot make any sense' check.

Open submission simply can not work if the junk to readable ratio is too high. Particularly when the junk uses proper grammar and spelling and makes some sort of sense on the paragraph level.
First, what's the point of a publisher if they're not going to check over submissions? These days one of their self-proclaimed reasons for being is to act as a gate-keeper and filter.

Second, I don't think that a 'Does this plot make any sense' check helps you separate AI from human - seems to me I've come across plenty of (assumed) human texts with nonsense plots.

Third, take a look at the the earlier critique of the ChatGPT example and tell me you've never seen the same criticisms of human text. Indeed that post also critiqued another post too, on not dissimilar lines, and yet I give Quoth the benefit of the doubt as regards being human.

Panic may be inappropriate, but there is certainly enough going on in this space to make it interesting to watch.
Advert
Old 02-28-2023, 06:33 PM   #51
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post

The graph included in the Neil Clarke blog post is an eye-opener. Some people said the A.I. submissions could be considered a denial of service attack because of the sheer number of submissions.

And of course, this takes away from the time they can spend on submissions from human writers. Clarkesworld is renowned for how efficiently they handle their submissions. Where other magazines can take weeks, Clarkesworld has been known to send a rejection (even a personalized one) in a day or two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plag3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	200040

Last edited by issybird; 03-01-2023 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Oversize image attached as thumbnail. Please read the guidelines for limits on image size.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:34 PM   #52
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I give Quoth the benefit of the doubt as regards being human.
I do the same for another member with well over 60,000 posts, but sometimes it's difficult.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:39 PM   #53
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
The graph included in the Neil Clarke blog post is an eye-opener. Some people said the A.I. submissions could be considered a denial of service attack because of the sheer number of submissions.[...]
Oh, now that's interesting. I imagine the peak will drop back somewhat after the novelty of the latest generations of AI has worn off and falls out of the newsfeeds, but it's not going to go away.

I was particularly taken by the following comment:
Quote:
I think it’s one thing getting machine written text to give you some suggestions for outlines to get you over that “blank page” problem that most people struggle with, but to ask it to write the entire story that they obviously can’t even be bothered to read is just crazy and insulting to the person you’re sending it to.
So, according to this person, it's okay to use AI as one of the tools in your writing kit. But just how many "blank page" problems am I allowed to fix this way?

Writers had tools to help them fix their spelling and grammar (while theoretically redundant because your publisher should fix this stuff, but actually not redundant because you had to give a good enough a show to get seen by the publisher). Then there were various editing tools to how you pick up more interesting problems. Plus there are name (and even whole resumé) generators to supplement the old baby-name books ... and now we're apparently talking about using AIs to get us past writer's block?

So publishers like Clarkesworld are not just facing the pure AI deluge, they're also facing texts that are a varying mix of human and AI, human and plagiarism and AI.

Maybe it is time for at least some to panic.

P.S. Some hours later I looked over this and found various mistakes ... but opted to leave them in as offering verisimilitude toward my being human ... although, for all I know, some AIs may now be making deliberate mistakes in order to appear more human.

Last edited by gmw; 03-01-2023 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:57 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I do the same for another member with well over 60,000 posts, but sometimes it's difficult.
What do you have against the Grand Mouser aka PDurrant?

Last edited by DNSB; 02-28-2023 at 08:01 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:01 PM   #55
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What do you have against Paul Durrant?
Nothing, and none of his posts look to be bot generated.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:56 AM   #56
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

While not directly about AI generated books, I thought this article was interesting, published today on ABC News Australia: Replika users fell in love with their AI chatbot companions. Then they lost them

I'm not taking this as necessarily strong evidence that AI bots can be convincingly human (I can't really guess at that, having never tried an "AI chatbot companion"), but I do suggest it is evidence of the adaptability of humans. We can, given the right incentives, overlook many flaws in order to get what we (think we) need from a relationship.

And to bring it back to this thread topic, I think this suggests that AIs could well produce books that at least some readers will find acceptable, not because they're great stories by literary standards, nor because they are producing original material, but actually because they are reproducing patterns we find pleasing. I can easily see this happening, if not now, then before long. So while we may have various publishers scrambling to assure readers all their content is produced by humans, it may not be that far off to find some publishers deliberately and openly publishing AI text*.

* And that might be of particular interest because it is starting to look like AI text may not be copyrightable in at least some jurisdictions, and so we may get a live experiment of how no-copyright competes with copyright.

Last edited by gmw; 03-01-2023 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:16 AM   #57
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
While not directly about AI generated books, I thought this article was interesting, published today on ABC News Australia: Replika users fell in love with their AI chatbot companions. Then they lost them

I'm not taking this as necessarily strong evidence that AI bots can be convincingly human (I can't really guess at that, having never tried an "AI chatbot companion"), but I do suggest it is evidence of the adaptability of humans. We can, given the right incentives, overlook many flaws in order to get what we (think we) need from a relationship.

And to bring it back to this thread topic, I think this suggests that AIs could well produce books that at least some readers will find acceptable, not because they're great stories by literary standards, nor because they are producing original material, but actually because they are reproducing patterns we find pleasing. I can easily see this happening, if not now, then before long. So while we may have various publishers scrambling to assure readers all their content is produced by humans, it may not be that far off to find some publishers deliberately and openly publishing AI text*.

* And that might be of particular interest because it is starting to look like AI text may not be copyrightable in at least some jurisdictions, and so we may get a live experiment of how no-copyright competes with copyright.
I suspect a lot of 'genre' fiction will be able to be churned out by AI fairly soon. Cozy mysteries, romance, even my own beloved SF probably. Anything that as you say tends to follow a pattern that readers like consuming again and again in slightly altered forms.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 05:40 AM   #58
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I suspect a lot of 'genre' fiction will be able to be churned out by AI fairly soon. Cozy mysteries, romance, even my own beloved SF probably. Anything that as you say tends to follow a pattern that readers like consuming again and again in slightly altered forms.

Andrew
And your forgot probably the easiest target: erotica.

I can't help thinking of the whole million-monkeys-at-a-million-typewriters producing Shakespeare thing. Generators/publishers of AI material will create a lot of drek, but the Internet already does. However, we already have an the online population providing a free global filtering service, so all the publishers need do is put it up there and wait for the readers to "like" stuff stuff or not, just as happens now. The publishers with the best generators will get the most visitors to the most liked books and so the most revenue from advertising. The "more like this" links will have a whole new relevance because the AI will know exactly what "this" was generated from and be able to generate more using some variation of that base.

And not just the text. The covers would be a no-brainer assigned to AIs getting too old to earn their keep.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:10 AM   #59
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Andrew
But it will be plagiarised from multiple human written sources. That's how the LLM works.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #60
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
It also creates the possibility of generating unique stories for each user, targeted to that particular person's personality and interests. It could churn out an endless steam of books you love with characters you connect with.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote