Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
S3ZAi
S3ZAi began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket
convert pdf to epub problem

Hi, I have a pdf book which shows two pages next to each other, as if it is a scan or copy of a real book, but as far as I can see it's a real e-book, so not a scan. Anyway, I have a 5 inch sony reader, the prs 350, and it's impossible to read on my screen, even with a magnifying glass and changing the letter size doesn't work either.

So I tried to convert it to epub, but the end result is as if the left page and right page are continous, so the sentences of the left page are interleaved with the sentences of the right page, which is a total gibberish. So the question is: is there a way for me to tell calibre to first take the left side and make it into a page and then to take the right side and put it under the left page?

Also, I saw an option to delete automatically headers and footers within a text, this would be quite handy too, but I don't understand what I should do there to achieve this. Should I type the header or footer calibre should look for and delete? Any help is appreciated, also, if there is a faq or something, please point me in the right direction.
S3ZAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3ZAi View Post
So I tried to convert it to epub, but the end result is as if the left page and right page are continous, so the sentences of the left page are interleaved with the sentences of the right page, which is a total gibberish. So the question is: is there a way for me to tell calibre to first take the left side and make it into a page and then to take the right side and put it under the left page?
The current PDF conversion engine doesn't handle multi-column files well. Wait for the next version, which is due out when it's ready.
You could also use an external utility to split the pages into two pages, then convert the resulting file.

Quote:
Also, I saw an option to delete automatically headers and footers within a text, this would be quite handy too, but I don't understand what I should do there to achieve this. Should I type the header or footer calibre should look for and delete? Any help is appreciated, also, if there is a faq or something, please point me in the right direction.
The user manual has a tutorial that ought to help.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert