Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #151
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
When I was in York there was a great tearoom called Taylors (of Harrogate); part of the chain that still makes Yorkshire Tea today. It did great teas (I remember Oolong as a favourite), coffees, sandwiches, cakes and cinnamon toast. Then Taylor's merged with Bettys, and Taylors became Little Bettys...
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #152
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I remember Betty's in York. It has memorable tea-cakes and a pleasant Earl Grey.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #153
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I once saw someone drink Earl Grey with milk in it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:49 AM   #154
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Actually, us barbarians up here in the north of Europe quite often take milk in tea, no matter what kind it is
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 AM   #155
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
It is awful, I know, but my partner drinks it like that.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #156
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
It is awful, I know, but my partner drinks it like that.
don't they prosecute for that in england ? six months of hard labour, or something ? oh wait, you're in wales... different laws ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #157
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm thinking I shouldn't say this here... but I drink Earl Grey with milk too (on the very odd occasion I drink it). I also make it far stronger than it should be, which might explain the milk. Far prefer Assam though
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #158
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i like chai with milk sometimes. but i rarely put milk in any of my tea.

worse than milk in earl grey : i once saw someone put SUGAR in LAPSANG SOUCHONG !!!! my eyes nearly fell out of my head.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #159
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I was with my bosses recently on a business trip. At the hotel breakfast buffet, my American boss wanted black tea. I happen to always carry tea with me on trips, so offered some up. My British (English) boss asked for a packet, so I obliged. They both then proceeded to pour milk into their tea, and stopped at the look on my face.

Howard, the non-Brit, explained how the habit started when he was in Ireland and the hostess asked if he wanted milk with this tea. "No".

Are you sure?

Oh, yes.

Cream, then?

No, thank you.

It's cream or milk, dear. Otherwise it just isn't civilized.

Uh... milk.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 11-12-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #160
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I grew up in a house where tea was made by the quart with liberal doses of sugar (aka heaping spoonfuls) and served with lemon and ice in a tall glass. The only time we had hot tea was if Mom was late brewing a pot and the ice melted before it had time to cool the tea.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #161
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
don't they prosecute for that in england ? six months of hard labour, or something ? oh wait, you're in wales... different laws ?

English law is remarkably lax about tea abuse (although coffee abuse can give rise to grounds for divorce ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #162
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
English law is remarkably lax about tea abuse (although coffee abuse can give rise to grounds for divorce ).
As far as coffee is concerned, I though it was absence of grounds that was a cause for divorce? (Here speaks a Gaggia snob )
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #163
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
As far as coffee is concerned, I though it was absence of grounds that was a cause for divorce? (Here speaks a Gaggia snob )

(i'd be more inclined to treat the absence of grounds severely as well)
Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #164
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I was with my bosses recently on a business trip. At the hotel breakfast buffet, my American boss wanted black tea. I happen to always carry tea with me on trips, so offered some up. My British (English) boss asked for a packet, so I obliged. They both then proceeded to pour milk into their tea, and stopped at the look on my face.

Howard, the non-Brit, explained how the habit started when he was in Ireland and the hostess asked if he wanted milk with this tea. "No".

Are you sure?

Oh, yes.

Cream, then?

No, thank you.

It's cream or milk, dear. Otherwise it just isn't civilized.

Uh... milk.
Speaking of uncivilized... where were you that the breakfast buffet didn't offer tea?!?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #165
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The Magnificent Mile DoubleTree. Horrible. The room was ok, but no bar, and the restaurant, dreadful. Some outrageous two-digit price for the "buffet", consisting of runny eggs and carbonized bacon, brick-hard biscuits, and the like. I've had far better hotel breakfasts at far "worse" hotels. Shameful.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness, zelda