Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Deal me some Westerns

My Uncle reads only paper books. I loaned him one of my readers a couple of years ago, and he got through one book, then stalled on the next one - said he didn't like it. He has had a couple of minor strokes, and doesn't learn things very well. He never has worked with a computer, and every time I've tried to teach him, it fails.

So, the standard thing I do is, log onto his account at the library, find books and put them on hold, and then tell him when they're ready to pick up. Seems to work ok. For the past few years, he's been reading cozy mysteries. So has my Mom, but she's been legally blind, so I've been finding audio books for her. However, I do know my Uncle likes westerns, which I know nothing about. (Well, I *have* heard of Zane Grey ....)

Please recommend some Western authors (and specific books, if it matters.) Bonus points if they are a western-flavor mystery, and double bonus points if they're in the paper collection of the King County Library (kcls.org) (washington state). Old is ok, since he likes to rewatch old movies.

Minus points: Uncle Guy doesn't like excessive violence (hence the cozy mysteries), and detailed forensics are also not wanted (He likes to watch Bones, but couldn't stand the books they are based on - too gruesome)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Roger
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Any Louis L'Amour book.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/l/louis-lamour/
The Broken Gun is a modern mystery western.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/l/l...broken-gun.htm
The Walking Drum is a historical fictional novel set in Europe and the Middle East .
Quote:
Warrior, lover, and scholar, Kerbouchard is a daring seeker of knowledge and fortune bound on a journey of enormous challenge, danger, and revenge. Across Europe, over the Russian steppes, and through the Byzantine wonders of Constantinople, Kerbouchard is thrust into the treacheries, passions, violence, and dazzling wonders of a magnificent time.
From castle to slave galley, from sword-racked battlefields to a princess’s secret chamber, and ultimately, to the impregnable fortress of the Valley of Assassins, The Walking Drum is a powerful adventure in an ancient world that you will find every bit as riveting as Louis L’Amour’s stories of the American West.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/l/l...lking-drum.htm
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 12-18-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Ones I've read that I can remember:

Shane, Jack Schaefer
Valdez is Coming, Elmore Leonard (and any other Elmore Leonard western)
Destry Rides Again, Max Brand (and other Max Brand westerns)
The Wonderful Country, Tom Lea (I remember this one because the hero had a horse caled Lagrimas ("Tears")
Oh yeah: The Virginian, by Owen Wister (1902): "When you call me that, smile..."
Wayne D Oversholser. I'm sure I read at least one by him back in the 60s.

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 12-18-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Typos caused by half a bottle of shiraz with my dinner...
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have no need for bonus [Karma] points.

You might take a look at the Peter Field [Brett Halliday] 'Powder Valley' series of Westerns written in the 1940s/1950s.

I read these as a teenager and loved them.

Here's a link to one of them, so you can check it out to see if the series fits your needs:

https://www.amazon.com/Sheriff-Spot-...alliday+kindle
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read and loved the Powder Valley Westerns too. Unfortunately, only 9 of the 64 seem to be available as eBooks.
Apache
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic

William Colt MacDonald and Luke Short were another two I loved.

Shoot Him On Sight was my favorite by William Colt MacDonald.
http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=20940
Unfortunately it and most of his books are not available as eBooks.
Powder Smoke, The Battle at Three Cross and The Red Raider are the only ones I know that are available as eBooks.
William Colt MacDonald

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/william-colt-macdonald/

Luke Short
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/luke-short/
Apache
Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I read and loved the Powder Valley Westerns too. Unfortunately, only 9 of the 64 seem to be available as eBooks.
Apache

I didn't realize there were that many!

Fortunately, every one I have - 10 titles - was acquired free, due to the 'SEEMINGLY EVERYTHING IS FREE SALE' from Open Road last year.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Of Louis 'Amour, I recommend Last Of The Breed. Not really a Western, but a story about an American Indian test pilot in the 1970's, captured by the Russians, and his escape and return to America. Not much violence, but a lot of man vs. nature. Arguable L'Amour's best written book.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Some newer(ish) recommendations would be Robert B. Parker's Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch series (I can't personally vouch for any of the later books written under his name, but I enjoyed the ones he penned before his death).

I also enjoy the works of James D. Best, as well.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the works of Charles Portis or Elmore Leonard, yet.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
William Colt MacDonald and Luke Short were another two I loved.

Shoot Him On Sight was my favorite by William Colt MacDonald.
http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=20940
Unfortunately it and most of his books are not available as eBooks.
Powder Smoke, The Battle at Three Cross and The Red Raider are the only ones I know that are available as eBooks.
William Colt MacDonald

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/william-colt-macdonald/

Luke Short
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/luke-short/
Apache
He said he needed paper books.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I was thinking Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I like to read westerns, but I like books that are more gritty and violent. I also don't like westerns that are just mysteries in disguise. Having said that:

I loved Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. I haven't read the three follow-ups yet, though I hear good things about them. But the first one is a modern classic.

Elmore Leonard's westerns have been mentioned.

Charles G. West and Jory Sherman wrote westerns that are good without being gruesome.

There's also an author, Ralph Compton who died a few years back, but continues to have westerns published. To the publisher's credit, at this point his name is a brand and the actual author gets credit on the cover. Authors writing under his banner that I've enjoyed are Marcus Galloway, Joseph West and David Robbins.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Max Brand's Westerns. It's a shame your uncle won't read e-books, as a lot of Brand's work is cheaply or freely available in digital form, but you'd probably be able to find a lot of titles in thrift stores if your library doesn't have them.

P.S. I glanced at your library system, and it looks like it has a significant number of Max Brand's books, including many in large print, if that's a factor.

Last edited by Catlady; 12-18-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: P.S.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Max Brand's Westerns. It's a shame your uncle won't read e-books, as a lot of Brand's work is cheaply or freely available in digital form, but you'd probably be able to find a lot of titles in thrift stores if your library doesn't have them.
Yeah, if e-books were an option, there's always free westerns popping up in the Deals/Freebies thread.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Check out James D. Best for a new writer. The Shopkeeper is the first in his "Steve Dancy Tales", which is up to four books now. I read the first book, and thought it was okay.

As mentioned, Larry McMurtry has a good "Lonesome Dove" series. Below is the chronological order with the published year in parenthesis. I enjoyed all four of these.

Dead Man's Walk (1995)
Comanche Moon (1997)
Lonesome Dove (1985)
Streets of Laredo (1993)

Also mentioned, Elmore Leonard. Check out The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard. I'm not big on short stories, but these were pretty good when I wanted something quick to read.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote