Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does Kindle Oasis have inherent loose connector problems?

I am wondering if Kindle Oasis has inherent loose connector problem. Usually, if the kindle and the cover is connected, the kindle will be used first until the battery charge drops to about 80% and then the cover will take over and the kindle will be charged to about 95% and then the cycle will start over.

However, sometimes my kindle is continuing to deplete until it dies even though there is plenty of charge left with the cover. It is clear that the cover is not charging the kindle under this circumstances but as soon as I separate the kindle from the cover and snap it back in, the cover starts charging the kindle again.

At first, I thought this is an isolated incident caused by my kindle slipping out of my hand but I have had this problem even when my kindle was held firmly with my hand or with a book stand.

Is this a problem inherent with Kindle Oasis or do I get a defective unit? Have you ever had this problem before? Does the replacement unit have the same problem?

I will clean the metal connectors and see if it would make any difference but the thing is I have this problem so irregularly it is hard to quickly test if any given solution solves it.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
A few of us are having this issue, yes:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...-case-battery/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
It's happened to me a couple of times that I've noticed -- the Oasis battery had gotten down to sixty or seventy percent even though the cover was close to 100%. Taking it out of the cover and putting it back would fix it.

Once I even got an error message that said I'd connected the Oasis to an unauthorized cover (it was in its own cover). I think I read somewhere that Amazon had said they might considering licensing the technology to one or more third parties that wanted to make covers. I guess they've put in something to prevent anyone from trying to make a charging cover without permission.

One thing I'd like them to make is some sort of mini dock for the cover so I could charge it on its own.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Once I even got an error message that said I'd connected the Oasis to an unauthorized cover (it was in its own cover). I think I read somewhere that Amazon had said they might considering licensing the technology to one or more third parties that wanted to make covers. I guess they've put in something to prevent anyone from trying to make a charging cover without permission.
The cover is DRMed? Oh wonderful. Because nothing should be premium unless all the replacement parts cost an absolute sodding arm and leg, I suppose...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A number of people have posted the same issues with their Oasis.

Amazon US Customer Review
"Also, clearly the magnetized connection between the device and the case is not perfect, because I constantly, at least several times a day, will get error messages saying that the device cannot connect to the case battery. This has resulted several times in my device just dying because it is out of power."

ERROR IN MY OASIS
I assume this will be swapped out when I get time to work through customer service, but there is a problem with my Oasis. It regularly flashes a warning that it has lost connection with its charging cover. Sometimes this happens when the Oasis is just sitting on the table (ie, its not being carried/moved around).

I have also experienced problems with this Kindle losing connection with the battery. The work around I have come up with is to remove the battery then restart the Kindle then reinstall the battery. This happens three or four times a day.

I would have given 5 stars but for fact cover not connecting properly. At least that was the error message (even though cover was charging correctly). Contacted tech support who did complete re-post. That seemed to solve problem, but after week or so got same old error message. Have requested new cover.

Mine isn't charging from the charging cover (I'm returning it).

I would get a sporadic error message

Charging Cover Error
The cover you have connected to your Kindle is not supported. Please connect a supported cover.

which obviously disrupted my reading experience. I paid too much money for this to up with that kind of a dumb error.

When I first got my Oasis, I used it the same way I’ve always used my Voyage – cover on, flipped to the backside of the Kindle while reading. This turned out not to be ideal, because the Oasis would randomly pop up a message stating the charging cover wasn’t properly connected.

Amazon UK Customer Review
I constantly get charge cover errors and have to remove and replace the cover 2-3 times.

Amazon UK Customer Review
The Kindle Oasis would have received five stars from me had it not been for the cover/battery losing its connection with the Kindle. This happens intermittently and is an annoyance.

KBoards Thread
I've had a couple occasions where, when putting the cover on, the percentages don't show which I assume means that the cover isn't seated perfectly. Re-seating it has resolved that. A couple of times, I actually got a warning from the device that the cover wasn't seated perfectly.

KBoards Thread

I am getting the error message frequently, about the battery case not being connected.

KBoards Thread

It wouldn't stay connected to the cover and kept popping up an error message saying it was an unauthorized cover.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 07-21-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I haven't had any charging problems <knock wood>, so I'm hoping this isn't an inherent problem. Has there been any sort of official response from Amazon? Are they replacing covers/devices with this problem?

That said, I do wonder how sensitive the connections are to dirt and oil since the way I hold my Oasis frequently puts my fingers right over the little gold dots. What's the best way to clean the dots? I'm guessing anything liquid is a bad idea.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
It's happened to me a couple of times that I've noticed -- the Oasis battery had gotten down to sixty or seventy percent even though the cover was close to 100%. Taking it out of the cover and putting it back would fix it.

The only upside I can see is that at least it will prevent less scrupulous manufacturers from selling dodgy battery covers - you know the kind of stuff that doesn't respect safety standards and has a tendency to go BBQ. Still, that's not a great attitude from Amazon...
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
webjunk
Enthusiast
webjunk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The cover is DRMed? Oh wonderful. Because nothing should be premium unless all the replacement parts cost an absolute sodding arm and leg, I suppose...
And a good job too. Eliminates nasty cheap clones setting fire to your house or exploding.
webjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
Julius Caesar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I will clean the metal connectors and see if it would make any difference but the thing is I have this problem so irregularly it is hard to quickly test if any given solution solves it.
OK, I cleaned it with a microfiber cloth dabbed with Monster lens cleaner and I still notice the same problem. I read the Oasis on its own and when the battery reached 65%, I snapped it with the cover but the Oasis battery kept depleting until I separated it and snapped it back.

Either the problem is mechanic or a software bug. Either way I will return mine to Amazon. This one is going back.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
Julius Caesar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post

The only upside I can see is that at least it will prevent less scrupulous manufacturers from selling dodgy battery covers - you know the kind of stuff that doesn't respect safety standards and has a tendency to go BBQ. Still, that's not a great attitude from Amazon...
Yep like this one
Amazon bans crappy USB Type-C cables: Hopefully, that prevents people from unwittingly frying their gadgets.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:44 AM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I haven't had any charging problems <knock wood>, so I'm hoping this isn't an inherent problem. Has there been any sort of official response from Amazon? Are they replacing covers/devices with this problem?
It may well be. Mine is working fine, but I've noticed that the connectors on the battery have got looser since I've bought it. I wonder if the torque from the magnetic attachment eventually pulls them loose? (Note: I have no evidence that this has ever happened to anyone ever.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote