Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: Win 10 PC, Android Smartphone & Tablet, Considering my first e-ink
Best Family Sharing - Calibre Server (self hosted) or Cloud Based?

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how best to setup my ebooks to share with my family. I want to be able to access then online via any of our computers or reading devices. I currently use Calibre for all my ebook organizing but haven't yet taken it further. We basically only use Windows and Android devices at this point.

My understanding is that the two basic ways of accomplishing this is either to use Calibre to run a server from a local computer (self hosted) or to use something like Box.com (which I have a 50gb free account with). I already have a computer that stays on all the time as a local server at home for things like printing. So, this wouldn't be a change in use for me. I suppose I could somehow use my synced Box.com folder to hold all my ebooks in my Calibre Library so in effect I'd be using Box to also self hold my own server.

What I'd like to know is which one you think has the most advantages or disafvantages and why. If I'm going to set this up, I want to choose the right way the first time. I know I may need some third party apps, which is fine. But if there are advantages to my simply running a local server, I'd really love to hear it. Not having used either one, I just don't know the benefits and drawbacks of each method.

If there is another way I should be considering, please let me know that as well. Thanks so much!! I'm looking forward to learning from you knowledge and experiences.
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote