Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Rocketmagnet
Rocketmagnet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Weather display without server

Hi all,

I saw the Kindle Weather Display project, and I'd really like to do my own, but I'd like to make it better.

My main problem with the original project was that it needed an additional server to download the weather data, and generate the image. Then the Kindle would fetch the image and display it.

Is the additional server really necessary? Is there any good reason why the Kindle can't download the weather data itself, generate the image and display it, all by itself?

I am using a Kindle (non touch) for this project.

Many thanks
Hugo
Rocketmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
  • No one wrote the code for it.
  • The Kindle does more stuff = more battery used.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
If you don't want to host the server stuff, maybe get space on a free server somewhere...
Personally I have a free account at http://www.heliohost.org/ (there are TONS of sites with space like this) so maybe use them to host your code and fetch what you want? Seems like an easier solution rather than reinventing the wheel, use someone elses
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather