Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Video of HP's e-book reader prototype

We can't deny that we wish it was our hands wrapped tightly around the HP prototype e-book reader gorgeously pictured here. Showcased at the HP Lab University event in Lisbon, Portugal, last month, it's the same device we had already talked about back in May. Only this time the cool guys from the Spanish blog Gizmologia got the chance to shoot a video for us.

Supposedly at a later stage, it is going to have a touch screen and WiFi connectivity. Well, we'll keep our eyes (and ears) open for updates on this one.

PS: I really like how the HP reader implements the "over-forty button"
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That page turning animation could get seriously annoying after a while .

It's great that there are so many exciting new devices "in the pipeline". I think that eBooks have a bright future!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'm starting to hate prototypes!

Two drawbacks to me on this one. LCD and a two handed operation.

When are they going to make a reader that can be used one handed in every position.?

What about availability and price? Let me answer. 2500$ in 2010! Or maybe never because it's not eink!

Sorry about the rant...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
dougcar
dougcar began at the beginning.

I am using a samsung q1 with 2meg of memory and running vista witha five hour battery. The new microsoft reader format running in portrait mode is very good and because the page turning virtual button is on the side rathe than at the bottom of the text, it is an easy one handed read and operation. The HP looks to me too heavy for one hand because of the catilevered weight if held only in say the left hand.
dougcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I love the fact that it is LCD. This form factor is a lot like my current device, the DT375, which is my favorite reading device to date.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Why is the design so bad? I saw two major problems. There needs to be a button in all four corners. You can see how the user struggles to hold the device with his left and hitting the button with his right.
The page turn animation is not only annoying, but a classic user interface goof. Emulating a non-computer UI on he computer is as silly as it can get. The User Interface Hall of Shame shows this for a VOIP program which gives a classic phone as UI on the screen. This is no different.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
It looks nice, but I wish, especially as an Europian, that there were less prototypes and more readers really existing and for sale.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #8
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

I'm with Robert on this one. The design is horrible IMHO. I don't see many applications for seeing both pages at once, and having a page turning animation is gimmicky. I think it would be a big improvement if more companies were to focus on a single use for their device and consider usability a little more seriously.
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Logically I think some page turn controls should be underneath a reader. They always put them on top so you can see them but once one knows where they are does one always look to find them? Those buttons are the ones used the most.

The reason for my wishing them underneath is that one has 4 fingers resting there, as for the top you only have the thumb. When one uses a button placed on top, depending on reader position, as soon as the thumbs is moved gripping is compromised with danger of dropping. Now if a button underneath is used, one finger can be moved without interfering with the holding grip as the 3 others continue. This bottom button could be software locked on demand. This way reading can be a one handed affair in any position as long as the device is not too heavy.

Navigating buttons have to remain on top for clarity.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
Why is the design so bad? I saw two major problems. There needs to be a button in all four corners. You can see how the user struggles to hold the device with his left and hitting the button with his right.
The page turn animation is not only annoying, but a classic user interface goof. Emulating a non-computer UI on he computer is as silly as it can get. The User Interface Hall of Shame shows this for a VOIP program which gives a classic phone as UI on the screen. This is no different.
I agree, the whole thing is a stupid crap (sorry).

Since I have a tablet PC (slate) I don't need anything else. I can use the built in joystick to turn pages or the stylus. I can look up a word in the oxford concise dictionary in just 3 seconds by moving the slider with the stylus.

It works well so there is no need to invent GUIs.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Logically I think some page turn controls should be underneath a reader. They always put them on top so you can see them but once one knows where they are does one always look to find them? Those buttons are the ones used the most.
On the original CyBook the page turn buttons are on the side - that works very well. Although the new eInk readers are so thin, it might not be feasible to do that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Where there's a reason there's a way. It could be tactile. The clip spot on the Sony is HUGE. I say that because I broke mine off while doing an experiment.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
I do like the page turn strips of the HP. There are definitely enough of them also. Imitating paper page turns is a goof, but the control strip itself is not responsible. It seems to be a touch pad and therefore can be used for useful interactions.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
The strips just make the HP larger unnecessarily. Why not have a touchscreen rather? The frame is just too wide around the screen and the focus is on the controls and the user interface rather than on the reading experience.
They can not beat the touchscreen concept there is nothing more natural than that, the strips are too much ado for nothing.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
The strips just make the HP larger unnecessarily. Why not have a touchscreen rather? The frame is just too wide around the screen and the focus is on the controls and the user interface rather than on the reading experience.
They can not beat the touchscreen concept there is nothing more natural than that, the strips are too much ado for nothing.
Touch screens are appealing for navigation but I'm not certain I'd want one on a reader.

When one reads a paper book every page is fresh, unless it's been previously read by a careless person. With a reader I find myself obsessed with dust particles on the screen and constantly brushing off the surface. Eink readers having such a low contrast ratio the screen has to be kept clean because dust comes off clearer than text. I would just hate having a fingerprint smeared reading surface. And since readers need less navigation than other devices, I'd trade a touchscreen for a lower reader price.

I agree totally with the strips oversizing the device. And who says oversize says overweight!... and cumbersome.