Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
How to clean up junk indentifier types?

I've been ignoring all the junk identifier types that have appeared in the identifiers field long enough -- so now I want to get rid of a few hundred of them (mostly ISBNs but other cruft too).

I don't see any easy way to do it though.

I was thinking the most likely would be to use the Bulk Edit Search & Replace function to back up the few I want to keep in spare columns, then just blank the whole identifiers field.

But the only way I see to blank the whole field is one book at a time via Edit Metadata.

Alternatively, removing the identifier types one at a time via Search and Replace is too tedious to contemplate.

Is there another way I've overlooked?

(Am I really the only person with this problem? The cruft comes from mainstream retail epubs, so I find that hard to believe.)
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@capnm - yeah I do the same thing for the same reasons, and yeah they are a pain to remove. It has you cursing the teeny tiny identifiers textbox in the Edit Metadata dialog when you edit them one by one and try to find the right place in the very long line to chop them out of

I tend to use the tag browser, click on them one at a time to bring up the matching set of books for that identifier and then do the edit as you say.

I know there is limited space on that dialog, but they are the sort of data that you want in a list to easily click on an X to delete etc, dunno how it would fit in though without making it a popup.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I submitted code changes to permit arbitrary changes to the identifiers field in bulk search/replace. If the source field is not "identifiers" and the destination field is "identifiers" and the destination identifier is "*", then the result of the search/replace is used to replace the entire identifiers field. To empty the field, use "{template}" as the source field, ".*" as the search for string, "identifiers" as the destination field, and "*" as the destination identifier.

Note that you can construct any set of identifiers you wish in the search/replace operation, making it possible to remove all but some identifiers.

Note also that the string used to generate the resulting identifiers field must be a (possibly null) comma-separated set of colon-separated pairs of strings.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
That's slick, thanks!

So to keep just isbn & goodreads, is this correct?

Search field: {template}
Template: {isbn:|isbn:|, }{identifiers:select(goodreads)|goodreads:|}
Search for: empty
Replace with: empty
Destination field: identifiers
Identifier type:*
Mode: Replace field
Split Result: Unchecked

Do I care about this possibly creating an extraneous trailing comma?
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
That's slick, thanks!

So to keep just isbn & goodreads, is this correct?

Template: {isbn:|isbn:|, }{identifiers:select(goodreads)|goodreads:|}
Search for: empty
Split Result: Unchecked
Yes, except you should leave Split Result checked so that each comma-separated item is treated as a separate identifier. If you uncheck the box then SR tries to treat the string as 1 identifier and will complain that it finds too many colons.
Quote:
Do I care about this possibly creating an extraneous trailing comma?
No, as long as there aren't any non-blank characters following it. Null items are ignored, which means that ",,,,,,,,isbn:12345,,,,,goodreads:81267,,,,,," is also OK.
Advert
Old 05-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Many thanks for this. I did discover two minor changes to the formula above that are required for Calibre 1.39. I wanted to keep the ASIN so here's what worked for me:

Template: {isbn:|isbn:|, }{identifiers:select(amazon)|amazon:|}
Search for: {template}
Split Result: checked
With values separated by:, (i.e., a comma followed by a space)
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Tatjana
Coffee Girl
Tatjana began at the beginning.

Device: no money for such things
It is possible at this time, using latest Version of Calibre for Windows (1.39) get rid of Identifiers that do not have a identifier prefix?

example: isbn:9780310231202, 0310231205:0310231205

Is it possiible to get rid of all identifiers that do not have a prefix like "isbn:", "amazon:" etc?
Please note the example above has a "junk prefix "0310231205:"

If it is not possible to this on Calibre right now, is there any free sqlite database editor what would allow me to do this?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
Tatjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just edit it normally. There is no way for calibre to know what is a "junk identifier".

Copying it into a text editor or Word should help you see what you are dealing with a little better than scrolling through the tiny edit box.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatjana View Post
It is possible at this time, using latest Version of Calibre for Windows (1.39) get rid of Identifiers that do not have a identifier prefix?

example: isbn:9780310231202, 0310231205:0310231205

Is it possiible to get rid of all identifiers that do not have a prefix like "isbn:", "amazon:" etc?
Please note the example above has a "junk prefix "0310231205:"

If it is not possible to this on Calibre right now, is there any free sqlite database editor what would allow me to do this?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
Probably the best you can do in calibre, and also I suspect in an SQL db utility, is to keep identifiers if they are in a good identifiers list. However, if you can figure out a regexp (or something) that is guaranteed to match a junk identifier but not a good one then you could do that.

The "good list" technique would use the template approach above to select out the ones you wish to keep.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
Tatjana
Coffee Girl
Tatjana began at the beginning.

Device: no money for such things
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Probably the best you can do in calibre, and also I suspect in an SQL db utility, is to keep identifiers if they are in a good identifiers list. However, if you can figure out a regexp (or something) that is guaranteed to match a junk identifier but not a good one then you could do that.

The "good list" technique would use the template approach above to select out the ones you wish to keep.
Excellent post (all your posts on this thread actually.)

You have helped me a whole lot!

a BIG! Thank you!
Tatjana is offline   Reply With Quote