Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #31
Archibald Yates
Archibald Yates began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th. gen., Kindle Oasis 8th. gen., Kindle Touch
All my Kindles were cellular versions, and the two actively in use, the Voyage and the second Oasis, have almost lost this feature. Almost because here in Germany while 3G is shut down like in many other countries a slower cellular network is kept alive for the time being. Books are merely trickling down but it can be done.

I had purchased the cellular versions because I didn't have a smart phone only until last year. So now I personally don't mind very much if there won't be any cellular Kindles anymore. For everyone extensively travelling internationally cellular might still be important.

Did I use cellular on my Kindles? Yes indeed I did, almost daily. People tend to forget that although the devices are called e-book readers they are not restricted to read just books on them. What had dragged my to the Kindle platform in the first place was daily newspapers. There is no other e-ink device that handles newspapers as good as the Kindle with its .pobi format.

Sadly, Amazon does not seem to care about newspapers and I fear sooner or later they will phase them out.

Last edited by Archibald Yates; 12-15-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Archibald Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #32
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Didn't they move to LTE with the Oasis 2?

And if history is a judge, LTE's gonna be dropped maybe around 2030.

But since I have unlimited (5 mbps) hotspot, if I need a book on my kindle on the go, I'll just fire that up for a minute or two.

(And I actually cancelled my PW5 preorder since I barely use my Kindles anymore right now, maybe if I get a huge tax refund I'll get a PW5 Signature with the wireless charger bundle.
Even if you don't have unlimited it uses very little data getting a book. I have a tracfone with limited data but for some reason recently they stopped allowing me to use it as a hotspot. Doesn't make sense since I pay by the Gb anyway. Seems to happen after Verizon bought them as they now have a new plan that allows hotspot and more data.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert