Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog_smith View Post
Hi. I was wondering if Alkido can display Adobe-DRM protected material downloaded from public libraries that use Overdrive?
Nope, it can't.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
CarolynA
CarolynA began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko
I am very frustrated that I can't import my epub books to my Droid. Aldiko says to copy books to the SD card in the eBooks/import folder, but there is no such folder. I have Astro file manager, and the folders are not there. I actually created such a folder and put books in it, but Aldiko says no books are present on the SD card. Has anyone had this problem? I am getting ready to uninstall.
CarolynA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I don't know why it doesn't work for you...

I have exactly the same directory path on my SD card and Aldiko finds it just fine when importing epubs. I did have to create it myself though. Perhaps you could plug your droid into your PC and look at it there, to make sure the directories are correct?

Last edited by cbarnett; 06-23-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Hit the wrong silly button...
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #19
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I was just browsing the iReader website, and it says the paid version ($1.99) supports Mobipocket and ePub DRM. It's the first Android reader that I've found that does so.

I haven't tried it yet but ...
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I was just browsing the iReader website, and it says the paid version ($1.99) supports Mobipocket and ePub DRM. It's the first Android reader that I've found that does so.

I haven't tried it yet but ...
It does Mobi and eReader DRM, don't know about ePub. I don't see anything on the site about that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Here is a short review of iReader (paid version).

I downloaded it from the market, and played with it a little. It has obviously been written by a geek (nothing wrong with that, I’m a geek, and most of my friends are too). The trouble with geeks is that we relate better with gadgets than we do with people. This app needs a people person to work out the interface. Things are a little clumsy, and sometimes not real obvious.

I loaded up a Mobipocket DRM file, entered my PID (yes it supports putting your own multiple PIDs in), and opened the file. Yup it worked! After a few seconds the book was open. I adjusted the font size for my ancient eyeballs, and began reading. The first thing I noticed was that it supports multi touch zooming, and if my eyes get a little tired all I have to do is pinch out and wallah! Bigger text. Pretty cool!

Now the stuff that needs work:

1. No support for background/text color. I like black text on a beige/tan (parchment) background. This is black and white.
2. No choice of fonts, you get san; that’s it.
3. Doesn’t open the last book when you open the app. You have to open it each time. While it tries to remember your page, it misses a little and opens a page or two later.
4. Page turn is either by volume buttons or sliding (scrolling) the page up or down with your finger. FBReader uses finger flicks and turns a whole page. I’m not sure if I like that better or not. Time will tell.
5. As I said in the first paragraph, the interface is a bit rough. This should clean up as revisions are released.

I’m used to de-DRMing books and converting them in Calibre, I’m not sure if the convenience of native DRM support is worth the inconvenience of using less than mature software. I’ll run it for a while and see. One advantage I can see is that I can download DRMed books directly to my EVO without having to go home and convert them. Again, time will tell.

edit. Whoops, tried that and I can't download from Books on Board, it says "Can't determine the file size." Bummer!

As AnemicOak said, eReader, not EPub. As most of my stuff is de-DRMed and converted from Mobi, I still have all of those Mobi files, so it works for me

Last edited by wodin; 06-26-2010 at 03:37 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I find Aldiko is the best overall reader for my Droid - I dropped FBreader because it didn't offer anything I wasn't getting from Aldiko, and I saw no reason for two apps that did exactly the same thing. I have the Kindle and eReader apps too, but I only bother with those for DRM-laden books from their stores.

I'd love to see DRM epub support, but for the moment I'm happy with what I've got.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #23
setherd
Sleep Tech
setherd began at the beginning.

Device: andorid, nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynA View Post
I am very frustrated that I can't import my epub books to my Droid. Aldiko says to copy books to the SD card in the eBooks/import folder, but there is no such folder. I have Astro file manager, and the folders are not there. I actually created such a folder and put books in it, but Aldiko says no books are present on the SD card. Has anyone had this problem? I am getting ready to uninstall.

make sure the case is correct. android (based on linux) is case sensitive.

aldiko is my favorite by far on my mytouch 3G 1.2

I did find out that if you split files into large chunks it really slows it down. I set my epubs to 100kb and it does great on this device.
setherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #24
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynA View Post
Happened to me the first time I tried it, and creating the folders myself didn't work for me either. I think that in my case, part of the problem was that I had no SD card in there when I first installed Aldiko. Reinstalling Aldiko created the folder and things worked fine after that, for the most part. Sometimes I run into books that don't seem visible if I copy them directly to the import folder, but running them through Calibre (add to Calibre, convert epub -> epub, install via Calibre or Bluetooth) generally works.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote