Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
dos007
dos007 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Stop amazon from sniffing my files

I use koreader and I use epub and pdfs and it's nice. But then I thought: Does amazon know which book pdfs and epubs I'm reading? You never know how one got them. Can Amazon be stopped at sniffing around?
dos007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Of course. Simply turn WiFi off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Or take a look at this
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't like the idea of Amazon looking at your Kindle, why did you buy a Kindle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Amazon doesn't care what you put on your device. They don't care about what you personally sent to the cloud via email. It makes them no money, so why should they care? They only care what you PURCHASE from THEM because it helps them code their ads towards your possible preferences so that you will buy more. They may even care that you send stuff to your kindle email to load on your reader in that it is a feature that is widely used - otherwise, they would quit the feature as it costs money.

I leave my wifi off except for actual historical books where the wikipedia may give me more information while I'm reading. Saves me power.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-19-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
^^^ Written by someone without any retail operation experience.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
dos007
dos007 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Ah ok, so the only way is a firewall. But that would mean that I would cut my whole connection to amazon, because i would need to turn it off for shoping on amazon and so on.

But couldn't it also be that I bought a book on an shop website in .epub and just converted it myself by calibre for my kindle?
dos007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos007 View Post
Ah ok, so the only way is a firewall. But that would mean that I would cut my whole connection to amazon, because i would need to turn it off for shoping on amazon and so on.

But couldn't it also be that I bought a book on an shop website in .epub and just converted it myself by calibre for my kindle?
Do you buy Kindle books? If not then HarryT's suggestion of airplane mode/disabling wifi on the Kindle works without affecting any of your other devices. Heck, even if you buy Kindle books, you can always use the Download & transfer via USB method instead of connecting the Kindle to wifi.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you don't like the idea of Amazon looking at your Kindle, why did you buy a Kindle?
Decent hardware at a good price, readily available.

One of my Paperwhites is only used for side loaded ebooks (fanfic). It's never been connected to the internet nor registered with my Amazon account. My only gripe used to be lack of collection support for unregistered Kindles but that's solved now with jailbreak + LibrarianSync.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
You are monitored by everybody. Amazon, Google, Facebook, ... I'm sure if you were flexible enough to look up your own backside, you'd find a good dozen or so probes up there phoning home on your activities.

There's a big roar around here recently about people's data being harvested from Facebook. Helllloooo! Are you Facebook users so naive to think that hasn't being done from day one? The whole purpose of Facebook (and others) is to harvest every tidbit of information they can glean about you for their own profit. Do you think they wanted to give you this wonderful application to waste all your time for free, just for grins?

Amazon is the same. So is Google. So is Microsoft. Every time you find a way to block them, they wiggle in somewhere else. And there are probably a few dozens other ways they're already wiggled in that you don't even know about, let alone attempted to block.

Cutting off your internet connection is about the only way. But to sway you from doing that, companies make a lot of features dependent on an internet connection. So you're screwed if you want those features AND you want no snooping. And for things like cellphones, just turning off your internet is insufficient. Even powering down is not enough for some things. You have to physically remove the battery.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos007 View Post
Of course. Every single book on my Kindle is sideloaded using Calibre. Many were bought from Amazon, many from Baen, Delphi Classics, and other bookstores. Amazon don’t care where you bought the books that you load onto your Kindle. Why do you think they do?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #12
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon don’t care where you bought the books that you load onto your Kindle. Why do you think they do?
Because if they can determine what kind of books you like, they can hit you with targeted advertising to try and sell you those kind of books.

Just like the guy who offhandedly mentioned on Facebook that he was thinking about getting a cat. Then he was suddenly spammed with all kinds of ads for cat food. Never had any of those before. Does Facebook "care" that he owns a cat (funny that he didn't, but was just thinking about getting one)? No, they don't care. What they care about is getting money from advertisers who want to sell him cat food.

That's why Amazon wants to know what kind of books you like, whether you bought them from Amazon, side loaded them, checked them out of the library, or whatever. Think about it, why in the world would Overdrive be sending you to Amazon to check out your library books? No doubt Amazon pays Overdrive for the privilege of being allowed to harvest your data. Overdrive loves it, Amazon loves it, and YOU are the product that they are selling back and forth.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
And Windows 10 spying is even worse. One of the reasons I'm staying with Windows 7 as long as poss.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #14
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I don't know which EU merchant entity spies - the books in the inkBOOK store are in Polish, Lord knows what the browser is even though the system is Android, the appstore is Mediapolis - no Google. I usually keep the wifi off. You can get Dropbox.

It seems that inkBOOK has stuck with Android 4.2 - 4.4.

I've had phones which allow you to root them without killing the warranty. You can put an OS on without Google. I also had a Chinese tablet that didn't use Google.

From what I could read online - Pocketbook also doesn't use Google. I agree about W7. I

I usually convert Amazon books, but I had to dig out an old Kindle for Mission (Galileo) to Jupiter. The book was published by Springer and it was in some weird PDF DRM conversion. Since I can't convert it and the old Kindle isn't lit, I bought a used paperwhite and will just keep the junk on there and the wifi off.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:16 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Think about it, why in the world would Overdrive be sending you to Amazon to check out your library books?
I'm not sure what you're referring to. They don't. I can't borrow library books on my Kindle.