Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #31
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Ok.. Thanks... Its rebooting now.. Anxiety..... And its done... all looks well... checking screensavers...YEEEAAHHH!!!! They're back! I HATE those default screensavers! Thanks you guys are the best! Where do I send the check?
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #32
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by woaibolin View Post
jyavenard,the files on "http://www.avenard.org/kindle2" are something we are so appriciate.
would u take several minutes to make a user guide of all files?that would be helpful.
There are always in relation with something I posted here:
http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #33
reflog
reflog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Thumbs up

wanted to put another vote here: jyavenard package for unicode hack works perfectly on 2.3 firmware.

reflog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #34
floridabrits
floridabrits began at the beginning.

Update: I let the power drain and managed to get the Kindle 2 to boot... :-)

I am now up to fw 2.3 with screensaver hack installed (from http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/scree...ack-0.1.tar.gz) :-)

Thanks!

/g

First let me say thanks for all your hard work on this - I love having the custom screensavers and everything worked fine until just recently.

Now I am having major issues with the uninstall (I want to update to 2.3).

I copied the uninstall file for my Kindle 2 to the root directory and powered the Kindle off - and on - and now my Kindle just flashes between saying it is starting up and it is doing a software update; it just sits there and does nothing else and the progress bar does not move at all. Moving the power switch for 5, 10, 15 or 20 seconds does nothing at all - it just does not respond :-(

I seem to have turned it into a brick :-(

Any help is really appreciated....

Thank you....

Geoff
floridabrits

Last edited by floridabrits; 11-27-2009 at 06:28 PM.
floridabrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
jyavenard - is it possible to create a package for the last page screensaver hack?
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #36
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
awesome work! no more dead authors and book plates!
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #37
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabrits View Post
I copied the uninstall file for my Kindle 2 to the root directory and powered the Kindle off - and on -
And here is your problem...

If you install an update file then reboot; the kindle will enter an infinite loop. You *always* have to select "Update" in the Settings menu.

If you rebooted instead and your kindle entered an infinite loop, press and hold the HOME key ; the kindle will boot in recovery mode. From there plug it to your PC, remove the update file on the USB drive, and press the R key.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #38
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyvisions View Post
Is there any chance of getting Helvetica and/or Helvetica2 for the US K2? I don't really understand the new packages and what I need to do in order to make the font hack myself.
Hey, here's a link for all the new hacks

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...542#post672542
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #39
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

OpenSSL failure on Win32

Ok, so I'm finally getting around to migrating all my fonts over to firmware 2.3 but ran into a road block. I can't get things working under Windows. Python complains of missing OpenSSL.
So, I updated my Python install to 2.6.4 and did some Googling to find OpenSSL. Unfortunately, I've not found an .msi installer for OpenSSL on Windows. I've found some notes but nothing that gets me there and I'm feeling lazy right now.

Can somebody point me to an actual installer for OpenSSL on Windows so I can get back to the business at hand - converting all these darned fonts to three platforms!

Thanks
-Ted-san
ted-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #40
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted-san View Post
Ok, so I'm finally getting around to migrating all my fonts over to firmware 2.3 but ran into a road block. I can't get things working under Windows. Python complains of missing OpenSSL.
So, I updated my Python install to 2.6.4 and did some Googling to find OpenSSL. Unfortunately, I've not found an .msi installer for OpenSSL on Windows. I've found some notes but nothing that gets me there and I'm feeling lazy right now.

Can somebody point me to an actual installer for OpenSSL on Windows so I can get back to the business at hand - converting all these darned fonts to three platforms!
Google "OpenSSL Windows" ; first result lead you to

http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

OpenSSL is by default installed in C:\OpenSSL ; so make sure you add to your path:
c:\OpenSSL\bin

In a command prompt; you'd do: PATH=%PATH%;c:\OpenSSL\bin
Old 11-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #41
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

ok - all is well. the .sh files were missing.
doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Google "OpenSSL Windows" ; first result lead you to

http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

OpenSSL is by default installed in C:\OpenSSL ; so make sure you add to your path:
c:\OpenSSL\bin

In a command prompt; you'd do: PATH=%PATH%;c:\OpenSSL\bin
Ok, I've thrashed around with my environment for more time than I care to admit and I cannot yet get python to recognize openssl.

I've edited my path and restarted, so when I go into a DOS prompt, I see:
C:\KINDLE23>path
PATH=C:\OPENSSL;C:\OPENSSL\BIN;C:\PYTHON26;C:\PROG RA~1\WI8DE7~1\TOOLS\;C:\WINDOW
S\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM

I can type "python", and python launches find. I can type "openssl" and I get the openssl prompt. But when I run kindleupdatetool, it runs but always fails to load openssl. Instead, it gives this message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "kindle_update_tool.py", line 368, in <module>
make_bin("update_"+name, filelist, 2, kver, sign=sign, jailbreak=jailbreak)
File "kindle_update_tool.py", line 212, in make_bin
create_sig(keyfile, name, tar)
File "kindle_update_tool.py", line 155, in create_sig
raise ValueError("Openssl failed")
ValueError: Openssl failed

I'm at my wits end now. Any pointers would be appreciated.
-Ted

Last edited by ted-san; 11-30-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #42
ted-san

Ok, Success, almost...

I manually executed the kindle_update_tool to see if I could trace the problem. The first thing I found was that I had no .sh files in my new v23 dir, so for testing, I copied the .sh files I had that worked for the last hack. However, I'm guessing that I need new .sh files for the current hack?

So the good thing is that everything works now but I think I need new .sh files.

<edited>
ok so I went through and took your droid update, extracted the files, and got the install-droid.sh. Can I just replace the old install.sh with this one and rebuild the .bin?

I'd play around and test it myself but I don't want to risk bricking my K2 at this point.

<edited again!>
I bit the bullet and tried it on my K2. All is good. So now I'm making my batch files and rebuilding all my fonts for the three platforms.

I just want to confirm that I can use the same .sh file for the K2, K2i and DX. Don't want to screw anybody up by putting out install files that don't work on platforms that I can't test....

<edited 12:08est>
Not so simple. I was testing the fonts and found that they weren't updating. Examined the .sh file and found that it's just copying Droid.ttf to all font locations. This is different than Andrei's font hack that would use different sets of fonts for each use - reading, browser, monotype, sans-serif. My modified fonts depend on this so I'm working on making everything compatible with the way I did all my old fonts.
Time to download Andrei's updated font hack and look at his .sh file!

Thanks for your help.-ted

Last edited by ted-san; 11-30-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #43
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted-san View Post
Ok, Success, almost...

I manually executed the kindle_update_tool to see if I could trace the problem. The first thing I found was that I had no .sh files in my new v23 dir, so for testing, I copied the .sh files I had that worked for the last hack. However, I'm guessing that I need new .sh files for the current hack?
I don't see how that could explain why the OpenSSL call was failing ; what else did you do to get it to work?

Quote:
So the good thing is that everything works now but I think I need new .sh files.

<edited>
ok so I went through and took your droid update, extracted the files, and got the install-droid.sh. Can I just replace the old install.sh with this one and rebuild the .bin?

I'd play around and test it myself but I don't want to risk bricking my K2 at this point.

<edited again!>
I bit the bullet and tried it on my K2. All is good. So now I'm making my batch files and rebuilding all my fonts for the three platforms.

I just want to confirm that I can use the same .sh file for the K2, K2i and DX. Don't want to screw anybody up by putting out install files that don't work on platforms that I can't test....

Thanks for your help.-ted
The install file I got for Droid is the one I took from Blog Kindle site. Droid is probably not the best one to start with because it only has one font file and create links for all the others...

Looking at your original packages ; your original install file is good , there's no need to use another one. I would stick to yours..

Only thing maybe is change how the prettyversion.txt is modified with this line:
Code:
sed -i -e "s/)\( + UFH\(ack\)\? [0-9]\.[0-9]\)\?/) + UFH 0.2/" /etc/prettyversion.txt
That way your package will update all the other font packages found out there.

The install.sh found in the newer blog kindle version does thing that aren't necessary ; like deleting all .bin file found on the /mnt/us directory. The system already does that after running the install; it's just redundant.
(and IMHO, a script should never delete files he didn't put in the first place)
Old 11-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #44
jyavenard
Zealot

Ted; it would be quite easy for you to convert the old package to the new ones.

Nothing has changed really on how you need to install fonts.

Doing whatever you first did to create your package , but using the new python packager with the new options, is all you need to do.
No need to modify your install.sh (as long as it doesn't call reboot) nor your uninstall.

Could change the regex I put earlier so it will handle UFH x.x vs UFHack x.x.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #45
ted-san

Fonts posted!

Ok, I've converted all the fonts and made packages for all three Kindle versions. You can find them all here

https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...kindlev23fonts

I've tested the straight, K2 versions. But I don't have a K2i or DX, so I have no idea if those versions work.

Thanks for all the help!
-Ted