Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
sadhu44
sadhu44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
need e-reader without aq touchscreen

I have a Kindle paperwhite. At first I liked the touchscreen, but often I use the device when reading aloud or singing, in which case I need to follow the text with my finger. Of course this fouls things up on a touchscreen.

As far as plain reading is concerned, the button is just as easy to use as a touchscreen. So I'd like to get an kindle 4 or 5 or any (inexpensive) ebook reader that has buttons rather than a touchscreen.

On first online search I can't seem to find any. I'll just use the touchscreen paperwhite for downloaded kindle books, and the other machine for lyrics and such. Trouble is I'm afraid of getting stolen (unusable) stuff from ebay, and I can't find any Amazon sellers who will ship to me in S. Asia. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Sadhu
sadhu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Kindle Voyage?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Kindle Oasis 2017 model has an option to turn off the touch screen and only use the page turn buttons.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Kindle Voyage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Kindle Oasis 2017 model has an option to turn off the touch screen and only use the page turn buttons.
The Voyage must be jailbroken to turn off the touch screen.

As Deskisamess wrote, the Kindle Oasis 2017 model can do so out of the box, although turning the touch screen back on is much less awkward with the jail broken Voyage.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As Deskisamess wrote, the Kindle Oasis 2017 model can do so out of the box, although turning the touch screen back on is much less awkward with the jail broken Voyage.
Putting the device to sleep and waking it back up is all you need to do. There is nothing awkward about it.
Advert
Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
sadhu44

I think I found a more inexpensive solution

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I just don't want to shell out the bucks for a newer kindle. You know somebody who wants to sell their Kindle 4 5 or 6 with scroll buttons?

For the price of a kindle I can get a cheap smartphone which i can use with ebook reader and/or kindle app, which means I will only have one device to carry.

-Sadhu
Old 08-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard

Here are two used Kindles on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...920065&sr=8-13
Old 08-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Putting the device to sleep and waking it back up is all you need to do. There is nothing awkward about it.
It is awkward for me, other's experience may vary.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
sadhu44

how do I mark this thread "Solved"?

Quote:
neither one ships to Sri Lanka
Old 08-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #10
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
I have Kindle 4 in black and I would sell it and ship it you, but I guess the shipping costs from Germany to Sri Lanka would be very high, so it would be an expensive old device!
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote