Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
GUI Batch

I'm planning on dusting off my GUI code and developing a new program which will allow batch processing of files. The functionality will be pretty much identical to the existing GUI, just with a Batch oriented front end.

Since its early days, I thought I would solicit any improvement or features requests before I got to far into the programming.

Thanks in advance.

Jad
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It is very easy to edit the meta data with Mobi Reader. It will end up in the *.mbp file and not in the book.

Perhaps it will be a nice touch when he program will be able to pick up the information that is available in the *.mbp file.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
It is very easy to edit the meta data with Mobi Reader. It will end up in the *.mbp file and not in the book.
Which is problematic for users of the Cybook, which ignores the information specified in the .mbp files and only uses that stored in the book itself.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Perhaps it will be a nice touch when he program will be able to pick up the information that is available in the *.mbp file.
Note that mobi2mobi already has the --mbpfile switch to do this on a single file, and this should definitely be made available for batch processing of multiple files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently getting up to speed with DataSets in Visual C# to tackle the storage of imported book data and to allow modifications.

Should the -mbpfile switch be included in the normal GUI as well then as an option? Would people find that useful?
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently getting up to speed with DataSets in Visual C# to tackle the storage of imported book data and to allow modifications.
Why do you want to store it in a database? How will you synchronize the stored information with the information in the file of somenody runs mobi2mobi manually?

Batch processing is for me just applying nearly the same operation to a lot of files.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Jad
Groupie

The way I envisage the way it will work is that you select a range of books you wish to modify. The system pulls out the existing information as per the existing GUI for each book but in a table like view. You can then modify the various fields for each book and then do the mass conversion. I suppose I'm aiming for something a little more full featured than just a straight batch builder.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Should the -mbpfile switch be included in the normal GUI as well then as an option? Would people find that useful?

Perhaps you can implement it like this in the normal gui:

If there is a mbp file with the same name a the book you selected in the working directory it probably is part of the book. Simply extract the information and use it as the default data for all the fields. I would like that.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
I'm planning on dusting off my GUI code and developing a new program which will allow batch processing of files. The functionality will be pretty much identical to the existing GUI, just with a Batch oriented front end.

Since its early days, I thought I would solicit any improvement or features requests before I got to far into the programming.

Thanks in advance.

Jad
From my very first e-book, I always have dreamed of a MP3Tag clone specific for e-books.
It doesn't use databases, just metadata, but it's complete.

OTOH, I wonder: wouldn't be easier to write a mobipocket export module for Calibre?
It has some of the features we need (including ISBN.com metadata synchronization), and they're being expanded over time.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote