Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Texfire
Texfire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Bookdesigner and line spacing question

I've been using BookDesigner, great program by the way, to make BBeB files for my Reader. It's working great on most file types, .lit files are the most consistently successful, but I'm running into formatting errors with more conventional files like .doc, .txt, and some .rtf files. The main annoyance is the loss of a line break between paragraphs, which increase the readability to my eyes. I'm also having to go in and assign sections, but that's a fairly trivial task that is mostly automated.

Examples:
Quote:
(Format without line break)
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
John was disturbed by this and jumped on his horse.
Quote:
(Format with line break)
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

John was disturbed by this and jumped on his horse.
The only solution I've found so far is to manually select every other block of text and click the "insert line breaks before and after selection", however this means that I'm going to have to go through the entire book to fix it.

Is there a setting that I'm missing that will allow me to automatically insert a line break after each paragraph? Or some kind of workaround? Or at least a way of assigning that function to a hotkey if I'm going to have to do that on troublesome documents?

Tex
Texfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is an automatic solution to your product because I have implemented it. I am not at home at the moment and when I return (if someone else does not post it first) I will post the method. I just can't remember the configuration setting at the moment.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texfire
Is there a setting that I'm missing that will allow me to automatically insert a line break after each paragraph?
When you reach the "Make Sony Reader File" screen, select the "Options" tab. On that, there's a "Paragraph" section with a "Separate" check box. Check that option and voila!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. What I posted above works, but it has disadvantages in that it separates everything that ends in a hard line break so that, for example, if you have something like poetry, all the lines of that become double spaced.

If think it might perhaps be better to double space your paragraphs in "Word", say, before loading the file into BD. I'll do some experiments with this and see how it works out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Texfire
Texfire began at the beginning.

Thanks for the help folks. I'll have to give these a try tomorrow. It's the files that are formatted without spaces that are giving me trouble.

Tex
Texfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert