Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Probably as much a question of space as weight, I should think.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks NatCh, your comments and photos confirmed what I saw when I visited a Sony Store and brought my own PRS-500. I did bring a memory stick with the same MR LRF downloaded book for evaluation.

The ergonomics and menus are superior to both the 500 and the 505.

As you so rightfully said, it is an alternative, not a replacement, for the 505. Both are excellent choices.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Thanks for the review! I'm not so in love with the loss of contrast, given my 505 feels just adequate.

5xx units get slammed? Only by Kindle owners, in my experience!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #19
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
If I might be as bold as to comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The first three photos were taken in as close to identical lighting and angle conditions as I could manage (as I explained in the fifth paragraph)
Personally I do not own a reader device nor have I held one in my hands (they do not sell them in Argentina) but I am an avid reader of this forum for I intend getting one before March (by means yet to be given disclosure :P).

Keeping that in mind, there is one thing that I will say and that is that I believe I understand what seems to be the problem here. From what I've read the 700 screen has glare and requires a more.. let's say "conscious" approach on the user's part to avoid being affected by it; if we don't forget about that "fact" (and I use the word loosely as I have no first person experience with the device) I think it's safe to say that we can't expect there to exist " identical lighting and angle conditions", for the reading angle of one will greatly differ from the other.

I'm not saying the 700 screen is as crisp as the 5xxs one but I believe it is an important item to bear in mind when taking pictures. After all, if one requires the user to have it tilted at -insert angle here- and the other uses a different one, clearly a comparison keeping "angling" constant won't be as faithful to the real deal as it otherwise might.

Just my two cents... good review btw
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
When readers get to be like solar calculators energy wise, I'll trade my 500. But for now the 700 is a pretty good offering.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
From what I've read the 700 screen has glare and requires a more.. let's say "conscious" approach on the user's part to avoid being affected by it; if we don't forget about that "fact" (and I use the word loosely as I have no first person experience with the device) I think it's safe to say that we can't expect there to exist " identical lighting and angle conditions", for the reading angle of one will greatly differ from the other.
That's an excellent point, el.astrologo, and very well put besides. I'd kinda thought about what you've summed up so well, but I hadn't put it in nearly as clear a terms.

I wish I could say that was what I was thinking at the time that I took the photos, but I can't. However, I can say that I took the photo of the 700 in each set first, and then swapped it for the 500 -- I didn't think it out, I just happened to do it that way.

But in effect, I took the best pic I could manage of the 700 and then replicated the positioning, lighting, angle, and such for the 500 pic.

Something I should have touched on specifically in the review is that while I did notice that the 700 wasn't as clear and contrasty as the 500 when I first started using it, I really stopped noticing it after a couple of days. I also stopped noticing the extra consciousness (to use your word) that it required to deal with the glare. By the end of the two weeks, all that had faded firmly into the background, but I was impressed anew by the clarity of the 500's screen when I switched back.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #22
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Related to the light, it does seem to have an impact on the battery life. You should understand that I'm hopelessly spoiled by the approximately three weeks per charge I still get from my two-year-old PRS500, and that the unit I reviewed was a passed-around (and perhaps mildly abused) one, but it gave me about four days of use per charge. That's with about two hours of front light usage per day, and several hours of non-lit use besides. That's a fair step back from the earlier models, but still a fair amount of time per charge, particularly compared to non-e-ink devices.

I did try to refrain from using the light for a time to see what effect that would have, but circumstances conspired to interfere, and I found myself using it at night, so I don't really feel I got a good enough measure of non-lighted battery life to offer a meaningful comment on that. I can point out that Sony specifies eight hours of usage with the light turned on, so my approximately two hours of light usage per day for four days, plus some hours of usage each day without the light is actually a good deal better than the official specification.

On my cybook, if I tried to read 5 hours a day (2 lighted plus several unlighted), I'd run out of power in two days or less. (I definately used up the battery in two days of waiting (for a relative) at a hospital, including talking to lots of doctors.) I think I use up the total number of page turns available, although I also think I'm getting fairly poor performance out of the unit. I actually get about the same reading time (at roughly the same page rate and screen size) on my Rocket with the backlight set at minimum. I've fairly often run completely out of power (unit freezes in the middle of the book), and easily run battery down to 40%. I don't think I read as fast as Derek, but I'm clicking thru pages fairly fast. At least the Rocket warned me when power got low.

My normal pattern is to add a bunch of books to the SD card, and then read 5 or 6 or maybe more before going back and finding others to add. Probably about half and half new books and re-reads, and I keep 15-30 books on the card. I end up charging about three times before I connect to the computer to add and delete books again. The annoying thing is I don't have a convenient plug to my bed, so I can't put it on the charger when I'm finished reading in bed.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #23
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks for a great review .
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #24
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
yeah i keep trying to push my girlfriend into wanting a reader, that way i can buy a Second Device to play with
Hehe, I do the same thing.
And it would seem that it's been successful, at last.
I was hesitating between a 505 and a 700, and I'm leaning more and more towards the 700.

Thanks for the review, Natch !
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Hehe, I do the same thing.
And it would seem that it's been successful, at last.
I was hesitating between a 505 and a 700, and I'm leaning more and more towards the 700.

Thanks for the review, Natch !
you can see one in person (and probably two) at the next paris apéro.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #26
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you can see one in person (and probably two) at the next paris apéro.
Yeah, that's what I thought.
In this case, you are a Bad Queen ! You haven't updated your profile

We'll see if she can wait until then. She has a birthday party planned in the middle of the month.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #27
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought.
In this case, you are a Bad Queen ! You haven't updated your profile

We'll see if she can wait until then. She has a birthday party planned in the middle of the month.
wow, that is a brilliant birthday present !!! i say don't wait, in that case ! (lucky girl !)

(so then there might be three at the apéro !)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #28
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
The two most important features are clarity and contrast. Is anyone in doubt about this? And prepared to sacrifice these two for the sake of some bells and whistles? I want clear-looking black text on a white background. Forget these other diversions.
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbinder View Post
The two most important features are clarity and contrast. Is anyone in doubt about this?
I'd think that while those two factors are most important to some, the other functionality may be just as important to others: it depends on what the individual user has in mind to do with the device.

There really is not a "right" answer on this sort of thing, it comes down to individual needs and preferences, which are going to vary from individual to individual. The best we're going to get is whether or not it's right for you.

You and I both may be in the "not the best fit" category for the 700's feature set, but that doesn't mean that it's not the best fit for someone else.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #30
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I for one, I can never Not Read my PRS 700, in any lighting condition from complete Dark to daylight.

that is a 505 users way of thinking Bookbinder.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 700, prs-700, prs700, review