Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 09-11-2023, 04:16 AM   #1
NickBel
NickBel began at the beginning.

Device: Mobile phone or desktop, laptop
Smile Highlights: Exporting options

Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure out how to open the file generated by exporting the highlights in "Calibre highlights" format. Which app should I use? Calibre viewer does not open such file.
I have exported in plain text, however, I was hoping that the exported highlight would keep some reference to the color it was used for the highlight itself. For example, if my color code for highlights assumes "blue" for definitions, I would want to see some reference to the "blue" color, in the exported, related, highlighted text/paragraph/sentence/word. Is this even possible? To provide an example, consider Kindle highlight export: they are grouped by color and the color is visible.

Thanks,
Nick
NickBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:16 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBel View Post
Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure out how to open the file generated by exporting the highlights in "Calibre highlights" format. Which app should I use? Calibre viewer does not open such file.
I have exported in plain text, however, I was hoping that the exported highlight would keep some reference to the color it was used for the highlight itself. For example, if my color code for highlights assumes "blue" for definitions, I would want to see some reference to the "blue" color, in the exported, related, highlighted text/paragraph/sentence/word. Is this even possible? To provide an example, consider Kindle highlight export: they are grouped by color and the color is visible.
You can open a calibre_highlights file in any text editor, here's one I created and then opened in BowPad:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-11 200836.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	203704

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:30 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I believe Notepad++ allows custom coloring rules to be made per extension,
(NP++ is a programmers text editor among other things)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:59 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Notepad++ is excellent. I even used it on WINE as well as Windows, though I now use KATE.
You can also create your "syntax" to be recognised as if it's a programming language.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:00 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I believe Notepad++ allows custom coloring rules to be made per extension,
(NP++ is a programmers text editor among other things)
Sure it does, if you configure it to recognise the extension. My NP++ didn't come with a style configuration for .calibre_highlight files.

I used /Bowpad because I had a dozen or more XHTML files open in NP++ and I didn't want to disturb that work. And I had no idea what was in a .calibre-highlight file nor if NP++ might barf on it

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:19 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It is just JSON which can be opened in any text editor.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:16 PM   #7
NickBel
NickBel began at the beginning.

Device: Mobile phone or desktop, laptop
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It is just JSON which can be opened in any text editor.
Thank you Kovid.

What would be the best, simpler way (I am not a programmer) to export my highlights from Calibre, in a way that resembles Kindle exports?

I would just want my highlights to be exported maintaining a visual appeal and structure (since I color code them) and ordered by chapter. In other words, as they appear in the highlights browser within the book, but in a exportable format that I can then swiftly paste into my notetaking app, for further refinement and contextual storage. xD

Hope somebody can help me figure this out, this is the one and only thing I miss from Calibre.

Thank you all!
NickBel is offline   Reply With Quote