Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Alexa coming to Kindle e-readers?

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...ndle-e-readers

Makes sense from an Amazon marketing point of view. Also Kindle will be 10 years old in November. Hmmm...
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...ndle-e-readers

Makes sense from an Amazon marketing point of view. Also Kindle will be 10 years old in November. Hmmm...
What does product age have to do with it?
The Edison light bulb has been on the market since 1879, and none of them talk to you (or listen in on what is being said).

And that would require they include audio i/o on the Kindles, something they discontinued on all models after the KT.
That was done to distinguish the e-ink readers from the tablet readers.
Are you claiming there is no longer any need for the marketing distinction?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I read the article that Goodereader used as the source for their speculation and to me it sounds more like a denial of any plans for Alexa coming to Kindle.

Quote:
“I wouldn’t say never,” Limp says, carefully. “If we were to do it, we would have to have her in a way that was not distracting to customers, in a non-intrusive way.”
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
You really have to take GoodEReader's posts with about a pound of salt. They'll twist a quote or massage a financial report to mean just about anything. It's difficult to feed that beast every day!

Anyone else remember their "source" that told them the Voyage was getting an update in late 2015?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
[QUOTE=knc1;3572786]What does product age have to do with it?

Doesn't Apple keep re inventing the the telephone? Marketing says we need a more attractive product, so come up with something.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mother's Day is their go to day for Reader releases.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I read the article that Goodereader used as the source for their speculation and to me it sounds more like a denial of any plans for Alexa coming to Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
You really have to take GoodEReader's posts with about a pound of salt. They'll twist a quote or massage a financial report to mean just about anything. It's difficult to feed that beast every day!

Anyone else remember their "source" that told them the Voyage was getting an update in late 2015?
Now I can go along with those points just fine.

The Goodereader article sounded to me as if they had run out of news to report so they tried making some up to report.

= = = =

Maybe we should do them a favor and tip them off to some good conspiracy theories.
I bet they could get any number of articles out of that.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When it's a slow newsday for BadEReader, come here to steal ideas.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What does product age have to do with it?
The Edison light bulb has been on the market since 1879, and none of them talk to you (or listen in on what is being said).
So far as we know!

Quote:
And that would require they include audio i/o on the Kindles, something they discontinued on all models after the KT.
That was done to distinguish the e-ink readers from the tablet readers.
Are you claiming there is no longer any need for the marketing distinction?
I don't like the idea of ONE more thing listening in on my conversations. I know we lost the war on privacy years ago, but even so . . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I don't like the idea of ONE more thing listening in on my conversations.
I know we lost the war on privacy years ago, but even so . . .
I think that is a generation thing.
I recall when public telephones (remember those?) where in a small, closet like, enclosure.
Where a person could presumably enjoy some privacy.

Now, privacy seems to be of very little concern.
Of the people packed in against you in a crowd, at least 1/2 of them will be talking on a cell 'phone.
Listen in on a 'private' conversation?
How can you help it when the person is almost shouting into your ear.

So electronic devices that sit around your (private) house with open microphones, hoping to hear you say: "Purchase Soap" are not that big of an intrusion on something that is of no importance to anyone anymore.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:08 AM   #11
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post

Yes, I remember that. I still miss not being able to have that device.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #12
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Yes, I remember that. I still miss not being able to have that device.

On the substantive issue, for me an e-ink Kindle is about reading not listening. I think they should continue to focus on the device doing the one thing and doing it really well.

John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:14 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
On the substantive issue, for me an e-ink Kindle is about reading not listening. I think they should continue to focus on the device doing the one thing and doing it really well.

As to the really well part, Amazon could do a lot better. And I mean by giving people more choices in how they want to see the eBooks presented. More margin choices, more line hight choices, more font choices, and more font size choices.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As to the really well part, Amazon could do a lot better. And I mean by giving people more choices in how they want to see the eBooks presented. More margin choices, more line hight choices, more font choices, and more font size choices.
And keeping in mind that the above was written by a non-owner of Kindles.
So you need to factor in the lack of practical experience on the part of that poster.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And keeping in mind that the above was written by a non-owner of Kindles.
So you need to factor in the lack of practical experience on the part of that poster.
You don't know my experience. I do have experience with a Kindle Touch & PW3. I have a lot less experience with a a Kindle NT.

Also, I've read of others wanting more control over font sizes, line height, margins, and the ability to add fonts.

You keep saying I have no idea what I am talking about. But I do. You just don't know I do.