Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #46
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post

besides, putting out CREATIVE content is not easy, and i do think they are entitled to be able to claim the benefits of their own work. ideas are not easy to come by.
Ideas are not protected by copyright.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #47
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I may not agree with what you have to say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
And I thought that the youth of today was anti-military. I'm glad that you'll be signing up.

Quote:

LIBRARIANS SHOULD KNOW BETTER,

yes that is a paraphrased quote from the LOTR movie, which instilled deep knowledge into me.

Class, the word for today is callow. It is not a derogatory term, but simply means "Lacking adult maturity or experience".

It's purported that Abraham Lincoln said - "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt". I'll take that advice and leave now, before I say worse.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #48
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
i meant the physical production of ideas such as books o: copyright protects intellectual property, yes?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #49
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Where do Ideas begin? In the mind perhaps? Where does the mind begin??

That question might be beyond the scope of this forum, BUT, can we not think of our minds as part of a larger mind? Every decision made, every thought held, is simply a reaction to other thoughts made by other minds, all the way back to before the beginning of the universe?

Thought of in this way, copyright seems a bit trivial doesn't it? Not to mention the impedance it has caused human progress over the years.

I don't buy into the idea of people not wanting to get out of bed in the morning and create simply because there isn't a law on the books that will protect their creations monetarily. I don't give a damn about copyright and I never will and I try my best to create as much as I can and I know many others do as well.

Share everything you are capable of everywhere you can.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #50
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Why shouldn't writers get their fair share? They shouldn't get paid just so that freeloaders like you have more money in their pockets? Sorry, but why should people sign up for nonsense like that?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #51
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
No, they get those because they lobby and pay politicians to make it happen
And nobody offers a coherent argument against hit. Only childish, whiney, "I don't WANNA pay for anything ever!" crap.

You do more to guarantee perpetual copyright than all Disney's lawyers combined.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #52
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here we go,

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/dpla/Main_Page

Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You haven't answered the question. What do YOU do for a living?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #54
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You haven't answered the question. What do YOU do for a living?
A little of this and a little of that, I like making pizza mostly. Why do you ask? What do you do for a living?

Here's some funny people talking about copyright, webcast 77:10 in and 106:00

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deschutesandpizza2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	66975  

Last edited by Giggleton; 02-20-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #55
Michael McLovin
Enthusiast
Michael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with others

Device: Desktop PC when i'm in the office pretending to work, kindle3
Quote:

Share everything you are capable of everywhere you can.

don't want to.

i'm not a humanitarian.
i'm not a philanthropist.
i'm not better than everyone else that i can treat the world as a charity case.
most of us in the publishing industry wants to be able to feed our families.

also in case you haven't noticed most advances in knowledge (be it in art, science or any other fields) happened because the people behind it were paid.
Michael McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
A little of this and a little of that, I like making pizza mostly. Why do you ask? What do you do for a living?
Do you work for free?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #57
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
If somebody wants to publish their legally owned work for free and without copyright, they can do that today. But nobody has the right to expect that everybody does this.
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #58
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
This is on a pro-piracy website, and is written by someone from the Pirate Party in Sweden, so obviously it's a bit biased but if you read between the lines there is some interesting facts in there.

http://torrentfreak.com/nothing-new-...ed-sun-110218/
There are some interesting facts, but taken together the article is incoherent.

It is true, for example, that kings and the church (and after the reformation, churches) feared that the printing press could be used to spread seditious or heretical material, respectively. And it's also true that printers were required to be licensed so that the king could have control over what they published.

But there's really no connection between these practices and copyright law, which came hundreds of years later and did none of those things. From the beginning, copyright has been about protecting the author from unauthorized printings. You can disagree that this is a good idea, of course...but it's purpose is to cause *more* books to be published, not fewer. It's not *at all* about the King suppressing seditious works.

Nor are people who download the latest Black-Eyed Peas or Avatar or Nora Roberts because they don't want to pay for them revolutionaries in the mold of Thomas Paine.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #59
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i meant the physical production of ideas such as books o: copyright protects intellectual property, yes?
It protects the way the ideas are expressed (e.g., the language used), not the ideas themselves.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #60
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post

Nor are people who download the latest Black-Eyed Peas or Avatar or Nora Roberts because they don't want to pay for them revolutionaries in the mold of Thomas Paine.
I don't think price or saving money is the main motivation for most people, though it certainly will be for some. Convenience and (a lack of) visibility of the legal product will be the main driver. That and pirate sites having a 10 year headstart over legal digital content.

Avatar doesn't seem to have suffered financially from being downloaded though ...
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote