Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #1111
Zeya
Zeya began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The interference of the top bar -
I think I recall that being mentioned here before, and it may be fixed already.

You don't mention what version of KOreader your running or where you got it, so I can't say if using NiLuJe's most recent build would act the same.

Whatever the KOreader situation is, it isn't worth changing firmware versions to avoid.
Since it either is already fixed or will be fixed.

There isn't any technical reason that I can think of not to stay with the current Amazon release (there might be personal preference issues over the feature sets, but not technical ones).

Note: 5.7.4.1 on the PW-3 is the only combination on which Amazon currently supports voiceview.
I installed the latest nightly build and that seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for the info, good to know I can stick with 5.7.4.1.

Last edited by Zeya; 06-08-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Zeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #1112
Katanaqui
Katanaqui began at the beginning.

Device: KT2 (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd just double-check that things are working as they should before the official update, but, yep, that's basically it .
Hi again. It took me a while to find an evening to sit down and do this properly, but I wanted to let you know that I've done the JB & hotfix for my KT2 fw5.6.5 (I think anyway - the hotfix 'software update' seemed to work, but the .bin file deleted itself from my kindle's root directory before I could, which seems contrary to the installation instructions), as well as KUAL, KUAL+, Helper, GAWK, and MRPI, and they all seem to have installed without a hitch Also very straightforward-ly as well, kudos to the authors!

I also added the python & screensavers extensions. They installed fine, and I got the 'congrats you've successfully installed screensavers' image when I put my kindle to sleep. (I am now having an issue I think was caused by an incompatible image file, but I shall save that for the screensavers thread itself - *nevermind, a restart fixed it). Got Leafpad, Skipstone, and Minesweeper (gtkMines) going too ^^

Haven't let it update to a newer fw yet, still having a play around.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Katanaqui; 06-11-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Katanaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #1113
Katanaqui

Next potentially simple question: is there any reason why I shouldn't rename my kindle in my computer from E:Kindle to E:Whatever?
Old 06-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #1114
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katanaqui View Post
Next potentially simple question: is there any reason why I shouldn't rename my kindle in my computer from E:Kindle to E:Whatever?
Since we have no idea of how your computer is setup or even what OS it runs - I can only give a general answer:

It does not mean anything to the Kindle at the Kindle end of the USB cable (which I suppose is what you meant, you didn't say).

What it means to the computer system at the other end of the cable, where the renaming is done - impossible to say with the lack of specific context.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #1115
Katanaqui

Thank you, yes, I did mean would it affect the Kindle

For the record, Windows 7. I know it won't affect anything computer side, just the Kindle I'm interested in learning about ^^
Advert
Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #1116
Zeya
Zeya began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
nevermind.

Last edited by Zeya; 06-15-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Zeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #1117
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Okay, here is an answer from a literal point of view:

No problem, other than that you cannot supply a question mark in a drive volume label. "Whatever" is fine though. Beware that the Kindle USB mass storage drivers only provide the DOS-compatible 8-character uppercase-only version of the drive volume label, so it will be seen as "WHATEVER". In which case the extra question mark character in the ninth character position of your example drive volume label would not be seen anyway.

When the USB mass storage drivers are loaded (which export the Kindle user storage partition as a drive letter on windows), the script checks to see if the vfat partition contains a volume label (the name you set in "Drive Properties" in windows). If not, it substitutes the drive volume label "Kindle" (mixed case, just to be inconsistent), which is what you normally see in windows for a "factory reset" Kindle device. Otherwise, no problem.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2016 at 10:48 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:08 AM   #1118
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Finally found out how to execute debug commands from the shell. Could have skipped the whole prompt the user to run fc-cache step. doh
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #1119
matula
matula began at the beginning.

Device: kt3
of course it worked

Just saying thank you, to all of you. it surprised me halfway with an unsuccessful update, and freezed, I did a hard reset, tried the hotfix update again, and it just works. had me sweating for a moment, though.

I'm not even sure why I applied this jailbreak yet, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

edit: new paperwhite 3, manual update from 5.6.1.1 to 5.6.5, applied jailbreak, applied jailbreak hotfix

Last edited by matula; 06-16-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: specifics.
matula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #1120
Katanaqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Okay, here is an answer from a literal point of view:

No problem, other than that you cannot supply a question mark in a drive volume label. "Whatever" is fine though. Beware that the Kindle USB mass storage drivers only provide the DOS-compatible 8-character uppercase-only version of the drive volume label, so it will be seen as "WHATEVER". In which case the extra question mark character in the ninth character position of your example drive volume label would not be seen anyway.

When the USB mass storage drivers are loaded (which export the Kindle user storage partition as a drive letter on windows), the script checks to see if the vfat partition contains a volume label (the name you set in "Drive Properties" in windows). If not, it substitutes the drive volume label "Kindle" (mixed case, just to be inconsistent), which is what you normally see in windows for a "factory reset" Kindle device. Otherwise, no problem.
Thanks for the info, very literal info ;p I've already got a naming system sorted for my various gadgets and drives, just wanted to double check from the Kindle end
Old 06-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #1121
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, very literal info ;p I've already got a naming system sorted for my various gadgets and drives, just wanted to double check from the Kindle end
Yeah, it always sucks when you format the wrong USB device. I have done that more than once, sad to say... Doing a 'dd' the wrong way also sucks...
Old 06-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #1122
DropDeadAlex
DropDeadAlex began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, PW3
Hi bro.

I has the JB working well in the firmware. 5.7.x. So I made a factory reset and now a can not do the JB process. What can I do?
DropDeadAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:19 AM   #1123
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
you have to do this
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #1124
geekmaster

Factory reset removes the jailbreak, as have been posted here many times, accompanied in some cases with a big bold red warning to not do a factory reset. If you had the rescue pack (and perhaps coward's rescue pack) installed, you can reinstall the jailbreak without opening your kindle.

So before continuing, did you install the rescue pack? Did you install the coward's rescue pack?

If the answer to these question is "no", please follow the link above, which will get you started with the serial port jailbreak method. But get your tools together and brush up on required skills before trying to open your kindle to access its serial port.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #1125
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
OTA 5.8.1

KV. OTA 5.81. Installed JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix and then the USBNetwork Hack from snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks. All is fine.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking