Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #16
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Never read SK. Would you recommend?
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
If you 've never read any of his books, I would strongly recommend starting with any of the following

'Salems Lot. (vampires, but great character development, and don't look for "sookie stackhouse" or "Twilight" fluff here)

The Stand (what could happen if a flu virus wiped out 96.4% of the world population? Again.......great character and plot development.)

Nightshift (collection of short stories)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
My favorite King book is Misery. I got my first F ever on a test in Sophomore English because I read Misery instead of An American Tragedy back in 1987. It was worth it. My wife loved It and The Stand.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #19
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The lowest pre-order price was $7.99 but we got a Christmas surprise with lowered $7.20 price we were actually charged.
Actually, $7.20 was the lowest pre-order price, which is the reason we were charged that amount. (I waited until the last minute and bought it at that point.)
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #20
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
Agreed! I'm about 1/4 through it and I'm very pleased...

Reminds me of the fun I had years ago reading "The Stand" or "Salem's Lot"...

Bob
It reminded me of those as well, though by the time I got about half-way through, it started to feel more like someone trying to write like early SK. Almost like he was trying to ... not parody exactly ... more like do a stylistic homage to his earlier self.

Overall, it was entertaining, but started going downhill after the midway point and ended with a whimper, more so than usual. I don't think I'll be rushing back to re-embrace SK anytime soon, even though I used to read everything he wrote.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
It reminded me of those as well, though by the time I got about half-way through, it started to feel more like someone trying to write like early SK. Almost like he was trying to ... not parody exactly ... more like do a stylistic homage to his earlier self.
Yes yes,...........OH YES!!! And I'm beginning to hear a definite "message" here.....

3/4 of the way thru.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
She's in CA like me (last time I checked). Amazon only has fulfillment warehouses but no stores.
I'm back in WA State and have to pay taxes to Amazon apparently. actually at this exact moment I'm in Sonora Mexico... but that's another story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
So far its vintage SK! I'm a constant reader so i'm loving it. It doesn't seem.... Introverted like Duma Key was. I think SK might be learning to deal with his constant pain from his accident a little better... i paid 7.20 for it. I was expecting to pay 9.99! I love my kindle!
it is SO nice to read King on the Kindle! no bashed noses from falling asleep with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
abSOlutely!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If you 've never read any of his books, I would strongly recommend starting with any of the following

'Salems Lot. (vampires, but great character development, and don't look for "sookie stackhouse" or "Twilight" fluff here)

The Stand (what could happen if a flu virus wiped out 96.4% of the world population? Again.......great character and plot development.)

Nightshift (collection of short stories)
"Carrie" was my first King book. read on a cross country road trip (Colorado to Alabama) with my church youth group. completely ruined all highschool dances for me.

"The Stand" read while pregnant in Germany, suffering a horrendous case of the flu, and living in a tiny little farm town in the middle of nowhere. long before the internet, and phone usage was incredibly expensive, I really felt like I had come to the end of the world. of course having gown up in Boulder and reading all of the references to the hometown was pretty freaky.

King is very very good! enjoy! (keep your back to the wall!!!)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm back in WA State and have to pay taxes to Amazon apparently. actually at this exact moment I'm in Sonora Mexico... but that's another story...

it is SO nice to read King on the Kindle! no bashed noses from falling asleep with it!

abSOlutely!!!

"Carrie" was my first King book. read on a cross country road trip (Colorado to Alabama) with my church youth group. completely ruined all highschool dances for me.

"The Stand" read while pregnant in Germany, suffering a horrendous case of the flu, and living in a tiny little farm town in the middle of nowhere. long before the internet, and phone usage was incredibly expensive, I really felt like I had come to the end of the world. of course having gown up in Boulder and reading all of the references to the hometown was pretty freaky.

King is very very good! enjoy! (keep your back to the wall!!!)
"The Stand"? While pregnant?!? OMG, how that poor child suffered!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #24
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
"The Stand"? While pregnant?!? OMG, how that poor child suffered!!!

Derek
have no doubt, he repaid me in full...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote