Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
baiumbg
baiumbg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle PW2 boot loop

Hey everyone, sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I'm still new to the kindle jailbreak scene. So here's the story:

I jailbroke my PW2 about 4-5 months ago and has been working flawlessly ever since. My mom (she uses it mainly) said that 2 days ago it wouldn't show her books after not reading for a few days, so today she decided to charge it up and 6 hours later, she gives me a Kindle stuck in a boot loop. I tried holding the power button for 45 secs+, but it just tried to reboot and got stuck again. Tried plugging in the usb, but my PC doesn't even recognize the PW2. I have no idea what to do next... tried looking up threads with similar problems, but to no avail.

It's jailbroken on 5.4.2 and has usbnetwork (I think) and KUAL on it.
baiumbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you can't get it to show up (even for a tiny amount of time) as some kind of USB device, that's not a great start, unfortunately. Short of opening it up to access the serial port, that severely limits your choices.

I'd still try to monitor the boot process w/ the device plugged to a Linux system, to see if/how it registers over USB during said process...

Just to give us a rough idea: what's the last part of the boot process you see (is the front light on? tree only? tree + spinner? tree + progress bar? if so, how complete is the progress bar?) before it loops back and finally ends up on the 'Your Kindle Needs Repair' screen?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
baiumbg

It doesn't get to the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen. It just sits there with the tree + spinner. And yes, the screen is lit up.

EDIT: I hear the sound of my kindle being plugged in and out, but it doesn't show up in the explorer.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huh. That's both good and not good...

The fact that it does register *something* over USB might be hopeful, though, but since Windows is basically useless on that front, can't really tell much.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
baiumbg

I'm dualbooting Ubuntu, btw. Though I'm still a bit new to it. I can try plugging the kindle in on that.
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiumbg View Post
I'm dualbooting Ubuntu, btw. Though I'm still a bit new to it. I can try plugging the kindle in on that.
Boot your machine from the KUBRICK live cd (on the hardware, not in a virtual machine) - -
It is memory resident, it will not touch your PC storage.

Escape to the command line (alt-f3 if I recall correctly) -
There you will find working builds of all the tools available.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
baiumbg

The Kubrick thread says PW isn't supported though. Not sure which image I should download.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Kubrick thread says PW isn't supported though. Not sure which image I should download.
Correct.
KUBRICK can not **automate** the recovery of a PW1/PW2 because they require **manual** entry into downloader mode.

Yours is in downloader mode already.
Which still does not mean that KUBRICK automation can complete the recovery.

But you do not have to run KUBRICK in its automated (scripted) mode.
You can just use it as a Live CD (or Live USB) as a sane Linux environment with the complete set of tools pre-installed.
It will save you a lot of trouble, chasing around this site for tool-x or tool-y.

I think the escape from the automation is alt-f3.
Whatever it is, it should be mentioned multiple places here.

The differences among the downloads is basically "size".
That just depends on which image files for Kindles are included.
None of them include image files for PW1/PW2
All of them include the same set of tools.

So just pick one.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
baiumbg

Ah, ok then. Going to wait for the kindle to charge up, though. Battery died overnight.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
baiumbg

Ok, well I got Kubrick on a disk, booted successfully into it, but I have no idea what tools I have at my disposal or how to use them

P.S. Sorry for the double-post.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ok, well I got Kubrick on a disk, booted successfully into it, but I have no idea what tools I have at my disposal or how to use them

P.S. Sorry for the double-post.
Follow the link in the first post of the Kubrick thread to the manual debricking process.

Kubrick's automation will not work for a PW1/PW2, you get to escape from the automation and do the work from the Kubrick command line yourself.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
baiumbg

You mean the "Simple debricking methods" topic? It still doesn't give me a clue on how to proceed. And I don't see another link in that thread.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'd just start by looking at dmesg with the Kindle plugged in during boot, see what registers over USB.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
baiumbg

Well, dmesg says it registers fine as Amazon Kindle.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's a good start, what does the partition layout look like, and what does usbms say about it? (again, everything's in the dmesg output).

Does it unregister at some point?