Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
dwdraw2
dwdraw2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Nook-eReader or gaming and fun tablet?

From what I have been reading in various forums, Barnes and Noble may be getting out of the eReader business. Microsoft might, and that's just a "might," be buying out the Nook from Barnes and Noble. Barnes and Noble has not decided what to do yet.

When a person thinks of Barnes and Noble, they think books, therefore, wouldn't one be thinking "eReaders," not a fun-for-all tablet? There are already too many tablets on the market as it is, so, what was Barnes and Noble thinking of? Maybe they were wanting to get out of the book business and into the do-all, much thrills tablet business? Doesn't the iPad do that now? My son wanted me to buy the iPad because it does sooo much more. I said no, I'm into eReading-studying, things like that, not games.

Now with some of these book stores going into school text for their eReaders, you think Barnes and Noble would be thinking about upgrading their device in that direction? Let's see, they could have increased their highlighting colors, provided a way to underline and in colors, like we did, or do, in school. they could have added a font coloring feature. It seems to me that games and videos were on their feature list the most. Why add school text when your device isn't ready for it? If they are going to offer school text, then color is needed so that one can highlight, underline in various colors, as well as changing font colors. This goes well beyond the three colors offered by the Nook. You need several different colors, not just three.

Why has Barnes and Noble catered to the gamers and video watchers, and not the serious readers. They certainly could use a bigger e-ink eReader-like Kobo's offer, plus, the additional features mentioned above, for their color tablets. By-the-way, Kobo's is on the right track focusing on their eReaders, they're gaining ground. That's where Barnes and Nobles should have stayed focused.

dwdraw2

Last edited by dwdraw2; 09-01-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
dwdraw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdraw2 View Post
Why has Barnes and Noble catered to the gamers and video watchers, and not the serious readers.
dwdraw2
B&N wanted to sell games and media content, the way Apple and amazon do.
The fact they had no media and few games to sell was shrugged off.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please post in the appropriate forum.

Take the time now to become familiar with our site.

Your thread has been moved to the nook forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
dwdraw2

Thanks Don.

By-the-way, Being that you are a writer, think you could start a forum on writing? I could use some pointers on publishing and writing.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Isn't there a Writers Forum on Mobileread already?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

Why has Barnes and Noble catered to the gamers and video watchers, and not the serious readers. They certainly could use a bigger e-ink eReader-like Kobol's offer, plus, the additional features mentioned above, for their color tablets. By the way, Kobol's is on the right track focusing on their eReaders, they're gaining ground. That's where Barnes and Nobles should have stayed focused.

dwdraw2
I'm a serious reader, but I'm waaay beyond school age, so I don't need an ereader that handles textbooks or even one that has a highlighting function, for that matter. I've never used that in any of the ereaders that I own, especially the NOOK HD/HD+ where such things can be done in color. For more bells and whistles in my reading experience, I just use Moon Reader or Cool Reader.

What I do like, though, is being able to take a break from reading to play a game or to watch some live world news, without having to go and fire up one of my computers or go into the room where the TV is. I like being able to access the current weather radar, or do a quick check of my bank balance. I like being able to look up the meaning of a word and then wander off on a ramble through Wikipedia.

I don't think that the line between "serious readers" and "game players and video watchers" is as hard and fast as it once was.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
dwdraw2

I don't think that the line between "serious readers" and "game players and video watchers" is as hard and fast as it once was.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Xanthe for your reply. It’s much appreciated and respected.

I can see where Nook and Kindle are becoming many things to many people. However, when they announced that they will be handling school textbooks for students, I question whether they are ready to handle serious studying. My son was considering ordering school textbooks, for his Kindle, for some of his courses at Ohio State University to cut some of his cost in books. Myself, I like to study-Theology. Like you, I am way up there in age (66 yr.) Even at that late age, I enjoy studying as a hobby-I like learning. I think that everybody does in their own way.

Here’s why I think that these features are relevant to the student, and I’ll add a few more features. I currently own two religion programs: Wordsearch and Logos. I have 230 books in one program and 405 books in the other. These programs are designed for research, and reading casually if you wish. Wordsearch offers 12 different highlighting colors, used to separate text important to the individual. Logos has six colors, but these colors apply to font colors, underlining, and highlighting. Logos also include the ability to bold text, bracket, box; snip text, and much more.

These features were not put there because of one person’s wishes, but by demand of many; ministers, serious seminary students and people such as myself. These programs are used by many seminary students worldwide. Many students highlight, underline and bracket text in their hardcover books. In these programs you can do much more and it doesn't damage text.

It makes studying or reviewing your e-text for a test easier if you have the main points highlighted, the secondary information underlined, or highlighted in a different color, and the same for additional information. It is so much easier to flip back through pages on a review and quickly identify the information that you color code than to reread all the pages. A binder notebook works, but why write everything down when you can reduce much of the writing by color coding and underlining text?

Looking at e-readers, are any up to par to consider for serious student textbook study, none; not one. I chose Barnes and Noble as an example because I own two. If they are going into school textbooks then they need to get their devices up to par so the serious student can study from them with the tools needed. They already meet the requirements as an entertainment device, not as a school textbook device for serious study.

I like to review about every six months and it’s so much easier for me to identify, quickly, in color, what’s important without reading the whole page. These e-text tools are important, and I would consider them before buying into school textbooks for e-readers.

Thanks again for your reply, and I do appreciate it. I can see where these devices meet many people desires. I was only showing where they are deficient-text tools for studying.

Last edited by dwdraw2; 08-26-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Grammar usage
Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Can't live withou my radar cause I live in tornado ally.... that is one of the things I really have to have quick access to and my nook hd+ is perfect for it.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonster View Post
Can't live withou my radar cause I live in tornado ally.... that is one of the things I really have to have quick access to and my nook hd+ is perfect for it.
i am very sorry to hear you are threatened by tornadoes but instead of complaining about it why not dissipate the tornadoes using giant concert loudspeakers mounted on the back of pickup tracks and firing sonic booms blasts at them.

tornadoes are very delicate at the eye point.by using sonic blasts you can dissipate the tornado.

you can use second hand concert loudspeakers and connect to a amplifier and the amp is connected to a pc or laptop sound card.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Thanks Don.

By-the-way, Being that you are a writer, think you could start a forum on writing? I could use some pointers on publishing and writing.

Here's the link to the Writers' Forum, where a number of issues are raised:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
dwdraw2

Don,

Thanks for your post and forum link. I'll check it out.

I already have a short story framed, but haven't done anymore serious work on it. I've been scouring the internet for various writing programs to see how functional they are, and if they are worth buying.

Maybe there might be something already posted about the various writing programs and the different experiences that people have using them?

Thanks again for your reply.

dwdraw2

Last edited by dwdraw2; 08-30-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
i am very sorry to hear you are threatened by tornadoes but instead of complaining about it why not dissipate the tornadoes using giant concert loudspeakers mounted on the back of pickup tracks and firing sonic booms blasts at them.

tornadoes are very delicate at the eye point.by using sonic blasts you can dissipate the tornado.

you can use second hand concert loudspeakers and connect to a amplifier and the amp is connected to a pc or laptop sound card.
If it was really this easy people would not be killed and the stupid sirens that the city installs is to alert. If it was that easy they would install other equipment to fix the issue. I was not complaining about tornadoes but stressing the quick access to radar data so I know what is happening.

Last edited by magicmonster; 08-30-2013 at 11:22 AM.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote