Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Has anyone ever had an ereader stolen?

My husband took my Kindle Fire on a business trip overseas, and it was stolen.

I've put a block on it so someone would have to enter a PIN to use it, and I've made it so I will be notified if it connects to the internet. I'm concerned because it has my amazon password in it so people could buy stuff - and have it sent to me or put on my ereader so not a huge threat, but still. It also has access to my email and contacts.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Go to manage my kindle and deregister it now.
Or go to Amazon help and have them call you. Now.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Go to manage my kindle and deregister it now.
Or go to Amazon help and have them call you. Now.
Good advice! I would do both! Now!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I deregistered it. It doesn't look like anyone had connected it to the internet.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also change your email password, so if worst comes to worst, they won't get any MORE of your emails.
And the passwords to anything else you had on the device.

I think email apps usually only cache a certain number of emails anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I had my paperwhite stolen recently. Deregistered.
Trying to decide between paperwhite 3, H2o, or voyager 2 if/when it comes out.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I had my Kindle keyboard stolen a few years ago. By the time I realized it they had already deregistered it, but Amazon said they would flag it as stolen and would brick it if they tried to register it to someone else. That wasn't exactly what they said but what they meant. They did say it would be unusable to anyone else. Passwords definitely need to be changed.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
My husband took my Kindle Fire on a business trip overseas, and it was stolen.

I've put a block on it so someone would have to enter a PIN to use it, and I've made it so I will be notified if it connects to the internet. I'm concerned because it has my amazon password in it so people could buy stuff - and have it sent to me or put on my ereader so not a huge threat, but still. It also has access to my email and contacts.
If it's gmail all you gotta do is reject the app from your gmail account. I believe Hotmail/outlook is the same. Once you remove access they will too next time they connect.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I had my Kindle keyboard stolen a few years ago. By the time I realized it they had already deregistered it, but Amazon said they would flag it as stolen and would brick it if they tried to register it to someone else. That wasn't exactly what they said but what they meant. They did say it would be unusable to anyone else. Passwords definitely need to be changed.
Will they cause it to brick itself when trying to re-register to a different account (for example, the Kindle sees it's blocked, and then it wipes a file needed for booting or something), or make it unusable with Amazon only (Amazon's website blocks logins from that Kindle)?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Will they cause it to brick itself when trying to re-register to a different account (for example, the Kindle sees it's blocked, and then it wipes a file needed for booting or something), or make it unusable with Amazon only (Amazon's website blocks logins from that Kindle)?
I'm not really sure what they meant and I didn't think to ask at the time. I was still shaken up by the fact that someone had been in my house and taken my things. I was just happy to know they could do something. I'm really hoping it was completely unusable. That's how I took it at the time, anyway.

I hate to admit I had some unauthorized copies of some books on there, but have since decided I didn't like going that route. I did, however, have copies of a particular fanfiction I had downloaded and done extensive work on that really cheesed me off losing. And somehow I couldn't find the file on my computer.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure if the people who stole the device reset the device before connecting to the web, if that could stop bricking the device.
On most hardware, as long as you can factory reset before the brick, you'll have a clean device.

Also, I believe, but am not sure, if Amazon doesn't see the device connecting within 30 days, it stops trying. That was at least true for their ebook synching
Old 11-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Amazon "blacklist" a Kindle that's reported as stolen, which means that it can't be registered to an Amazon account. It can still be used unregistered.

A significant proportion of Kindles for sale on sites like eBay and Craigslist are blacklist. Caveat emptor!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac

How do you report one stolen?
I tried looking for it, until I finally ssttled for unregistering
Old 11-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
How do you report one stolen?
I tried looking for it, until I finally ssttled for unregistering
Contact Kindle Customer Service and report it to them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:46 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Twice, actually . Two H2Os that got swiped from the back pocket of my messenger bag (you'd think I'd have learned my lesson after the first, wouldn't you? ). Changed my Kobo account password right away and ordered a new one (BOL.COM has next day delivery ), so I'm on my third...

I also have left a Kindle DXG on the train once. In a gorgeous Oberon 'Sky Dragon' cover to boot. That one still smarts
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote