Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #16
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Paul, I have also started taking Co-Q10, after my major statin reaction, 17 months ago. It tends to improve heart function. Here is a meta-article of various trials of Co-Q10.

https://www.nature.com/articles/1002138
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Vitamin D - recommended for everybody in my state
Vitamin C - I'm diabetic and this seems to help with wound healing
Aspirin - I'd be taking it anyway for arthritis
Multivitamin - just because the doc says I should.

I'll have to ask about the Vitamin K-7. That is a great article. Thanks for including it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I take mostly what has already been said, but I also add a separate magnesium tab. My doctor put me on one of those daily drugs for GERD, and I'd read that one of the side effects are it either uses up your magnesium stores or it inhibits its digestion. So I take it as a precaution. (Not at home, so I don't remember the actual drug's name).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #19
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

I'll have to ask about the Vitamin K-7. That is a great article. Thanks for including it.
K2 MK-7. Not nattering, just want you to be able to ask the right questions.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #20
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Paul, one more thing. Not a vitamin, but for azheimer's, look up the anti depressant Trazodone.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/obesity/two-...ight-dementia/
Advert
Old 06-20-2018, 03:39 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Here is a meta-article of various trials of Co-Q10.

https://www.nature.com/articles/1002138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Not a vitamin, but for azheimer's, look up the anti depressant Trazodone.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/obesity/two-...ight-dementia/
Thanks. Interesting research, although thankfully not of direct interest to me yet. I hope we get to see the results of a human trial of Trazodone as a dementia treatment soon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #22
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
I take calcium and D3 because of a diagnosis of osteopenia in my early 40s. As the osteopenia had reversed by my next bone scan I can conclude that I actually needed one or both. I take a multivitamin when dieting as it is almost impossible to cover your bases when reducing calories.

Other than those I have a supplement that I don't take despite strong doctor recommendation. I didn't see any improvement in my dry-eye from taking fish oil pills she recommended and since they taste nasty I only take them for a week before my check-ups so I can fib to the optometrist.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Other than those I have a supplement that I don't take despite strong doctor recommendation. I didn't see any improvement in my dry-eye from taking fish oil pills she recommended and since they taste nasty I only take them for a week before my check-ups so I can fib to the optometrist.
If you don't like the fish-oil, there are vegan sources of Omega-3 available, although they are more expensive. No idea if it helps with dry-eye.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #24
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

From the Nature meta-analysis:

"Since 1975, many studies have described the potential of CoQ10 to lower blood pressure in hypertensive patients. Few side effects have been reported even with high doses of CoQ10. In a study of subjects with type II diabetes, we showed that CoQ10 therapy lowered blood pressure and improved glycemic control. However, despite these reports, the current role of CoQ10, if any, in the treatment of hypertension is unclear." (Italics mine)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #25
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I am very conscious about eating a varied diet. However, I still take a multivitamin for people over 50, as cheap insurance. I take vitamin D, which is often recommended for Canadians as we don’t tend get as much sun. I also take Omega-3 oil because I can’t imagine anything more terrifying than developing dementia. That said, from research I’ve seen, I suspect I’m wasting my money. I stopped taking calcium as a hedge against osteoporosis, which my mother suffered from, after longitudinal studies showed it had no protective benefit.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I also take Omega-3 oil because I can’t imagine anything more terrifying than developing dementia. That said, from research I’ve seen, I suspect I’m wasting my money. I stopped taking calcium as a hedge against osteoporosis, which my mother suffered from, after longitudinal studies showed it had no protective benefit.
I don't think there's any protection against dementia from Omega-3 on its own. There is a study that shows some benefits from high dose (high, but nowhere near levels that give side effects) B3, folic acid (B9) and B12 vitamins. A follow-up paper gives more details of the differences observed between the active and placebo groups. But it is all off one study at the moment. Further work is needed to show if it's a real effect. I think I remember reading about another study that showed that having good omega-3 levels was also beneficial in conjunction with the high-dose B vitamins, but I can't find the reference just now.

You're already taking Vitamin D, which is good for bones. Ralph's post about K2 was very interesting. I'm going to be adding that to my mix. You might want to check the links about it in his post.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #27
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
For all of you that are taking vitamin D3 and aspirin, they are not neutral. That is, it can be some danger.

The aspirin is contraindicated in people with kidney disease (chronic kidney disease); the same with many elements as potasium, calcium, phosphorum, etc. Why? Because the kidney can't eliminate the excess of those elements and they accumulate in the blood (with great danger for health). I speak by experience. The same things occurs with an ingest of more than 60-70 grs. of proteins by day.

And regarding Vitamin D3, it can be toxic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Excess

The wiki article is not complete and I couln't find another in english language (I'm a spanish-speaken and the pages I consult they're in spanish) but be carefull with Vit D3. A "good" dosis could be only 2ml by THREE MONTHS.

And my advice is, before taking any dietary supplements, check your kidneys to control all is ok with them.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #28
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I take a multivitamin, B-complex, and low-dose aspirin. I have in the past taken a green-tea and ginseng supplement. If my work situation were to change to where I was in an office all day, I would likely return to the ginseng.

I only take the aspirin because of the history of stroke in my family. I really can tell a difference in the energy with the B-complex.

When I was in law school, I took bee pollen during exam season, but beyond that, I've never taken much else.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
For all of you that are taking vitamin D3 and aspirin, they are not neutral. That is, it can be some danger.
Thanks for the D3 references. Perhaps I should reduce my dose a bit. (75mcg looks like it is more than required.).
Old 06-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
[...]
And regarding Vitamin D3, it can be toxic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Excess

The wiki article is not complete and I couln't find another in english language (I'm a spanish-speaken and the pages I consult they're in spanish) but be carefull with Vit D3. A "good" dosis could be only 2ml by THREE MONTHS.
Vitamin D isn't measured in mls. The standard is International Units. And my treatment is monitored by my doctor. Since I'm photosensitive, going without is not a great idea.

"Published cases of toxicity involving hypercalcemia in which the vitamin D dose and the 25-hydroxy-vitamin D levels are known all involve an intake of ≥40,000 IU (1,000 μg) per day." <--- this is a patently absurd amount to be taking. I wonder how anyone got the idea that that was a good thing to do? I guess there have always been megadose nuts about, just like there are flat-earthers. Not a lot you can do about them. Clicking through to the source, some of the people poisoned were using a Vitamin D concentrate oil as a cooking oil. Words fail.

Water is toxic in excess, also. Though using it as a cooking oil substitute will just give you a soggy steak.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote