Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Limpet7
Limpet7 began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Question ASK FOR SUPPORT - JAILBREAK Q & DEFECT ENTER BUTTON

Hello dear forum members,

I sincerely like to ask you for your tech support.

For days I have been reading through the forum here , and also experimented myself to solve my K3 issue - as of yet no positive result .

My core issue is that I have a broken 'enter button' (the big square one in the 5 way navigator). Other then that I have a perfectly working kindle K3.

This mean I can't select or enter, can't read a book, can't click on settings, etc which makes it basically none functional.

Meanwhile I have been able to run Kubrick and completed it with success according to program, however, I wonder very much if the jailbroken version is now installed ? It started basically back on where I left it last time after reboot and I don't see anything new on the screen. Again, I can't go to settings and just enter/select this tab to verify.

Second question: I understood one can install launchpad afterwards, but then again need the select/enter button to have it setup successfully? I would like to know if there is a way to not have to use the select/enter button so I can install it and afterward change the keyboard configuration to assign for example a 'p' or an 'h' as the ENTER button.

Your help and advise here to hopefully resolve the core issue is highly appreciated!

It is so frustrating to have a perfect kindle, except for just one button, and not make use of it anymore.

P.S. already called Amazon, they can't help to fix it.
Limpet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpet7 View Post

For days I have been reading through the forum here , and also experimented myself to solve my K3 issue - as of yet no positive result .

My core issue is that I have a broken 'enter button' (the big square one in the 5 way navigator). Other then that I have a perfectly working kindle K3.

This mean I can't select or enter, can't read a book, can't click on settings, etc which makes it basically none functional.

Meanwhile I have been able to run Kubrick and completed it with success according to program, however, I wonder very much if the jailbroken version is now installed ? It started basically back on where I left it last time after reboot and I don't see anything new on the screen. Again, I can't go to settings and just enter/select this tab to verify.

Second question: I understood one can install launchpad afterwards, but then again need the select/enter button to have it setup successfully? I would like to know if there is a way to not have to use the select/enter button so I can install it and afterward change the keyboard configuration to assign for example a 'p' or an 'h' as the ENTER button.

Your help and advise here to hopefully resolve the core issue is highly appreciated!

It is so frustrating to have a perfect kindle, except for just one button, and not make use of it anymore.

P.S. already called Amazon, they can't help to fix it.
Make a connection to the serial port.
The serial port connections are part of the lower cover connector.
Use our master index sticky (the one with "Where do I start?" in the title) to locate the information on the K3 serial port.

Note:
The serial interface is 1.8 volt, low-voltage ttl.
Be certain you are using the appropriate type of serial-usb adapter.

Once you get that up and working, let us know with a update to this thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:

You can consider trying to buy a new keyboard for it as well. This site sells them for $1 plus shipping. I've never done this, but I remember my K3 was really easy to open.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...d-p-20678.html
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Oh yes the K3 is easy to open but has many tiny screws.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Limpet7
Limpet7 began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Cool

Thanks a lot for the input Coplate. I just started with watching some of the material here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134637

I am not a technical expert, however, will this option enable me to get it fully back up and running without the need of the 'enter' button Coplate?

Also, as far as the shipping and this possible option it sounds much more technically requiring then the more simplistic/straightforward jailbreaks which I would like to give a try first KNC1, where possible of course ...

But maybe I am just wishfully thinking those kind of options are there?
Limpet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the input Coplate. I just started with watching some of the material here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134637

I am not a technical expert, however, will this option enable me to get it fully back up and running without the need of the 'enter' button Coplate?

Also, as far as the shipping and this possible option it sounds much more technically requiring then the more simplistic/straightforward jailbreaks which I would like to give a try first KNC1, where possible of course ...

But maybe I am just wishfully thinking those kind of options are there?
You said you wanted to re-map the broken enter button to some other button.

You do not need to jailbreak the device to do that.

You can do that once you have serial port access to the system.
(Don't ask me how, but the serial port is the key to everything.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote