Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Quote:
Someone saying that there aren't movies that interest him is as mind-boggling
Who said that? I said there were few made in the past few years that were worth seeing, and I stand by that comment. When someone comes out with another How Green Was My Valley, I'll be the first to praise it. But the pickins are real slim these days. I run an HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV in my living room and watch old movies and TV shows on Hulu more than anything.

Last edited by Ransom; 06-13-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Who said that? I said there were few made in the past few years that were worth seeing, and I stand by that comment.
And yet, the thread that you said "Can't say I saw more than one film there that interested me" covered several decades of movies from multiple countries.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #18
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Why would I look past the first page of a three year old thread?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #19
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Why would I look past the first page of a three year old thread?
Forget it. This post tells me everything I need to know about you.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #20
Ransom
Banned

I said that I hadn't been to the theater more than twice in three years and that I hadn't yet used all of a $25 Blockbuster gift card that I got two years ago because there was nothing in that time worth renting. So why on earth are you bringing up OLD movies anyway?

Last edited by Ransom; 06-13-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #21
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Some worthwhile takes in this thread. Much appreciated, folks.

I wholeheartedly support the concept of self-publishing. When the process is so simple, though, that pretty well anyone can 'publish' pretty well anything, the reader is faced with a problem that's amplified ... sure greater opportunity for choice is a good thing and worthy work is made available that might otherwise never see the light of day, but there's such a thing as being spoiled for choice; being overloaded with decisions to make.

Never forget that a book may be free, but your investment in reading time ain't. What value do you place on ten hours of recreational reading? I put a high price on mine. It's too precious and rare to waste on sifting wheat from chaff. That's my day job. I need to be pretty sure when I choose a book to read in my treasured and very few free hours that it's likely to hit the spot. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #22
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Some worthwhile takes in this thread. Much appreciated, folks.

I wholeheartedly support the concept of self-publishing. When the process is so simple, though, that pretty well anyone can 'publish' pretty well anything, the reader is faced with a problem that's amplified ... sure greater opportunity for choice is a good thing and worthy work is made available that might otherwise never see the light of day, but there's such a thing as being spoiled for choice; being overloaded with decisions to make.

l
Choosing what to read has always been a problem, even when some faceless suit was deciding what sort of books we are allowed to read. Increasing the variety of types of books available is more likely to make it easier to find something that might be interesting. The problem then would be one of standard, but that problem also existed in the days of the suit.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #23
Ransom
Banned

I'd like to find a good book reviewer who has similar tastes to mine. I don't remember his name now, but several years ago I had a movie review book by some guy who seemed to like all the same movies I did. I lost that book somewhere and dearly wish I had it back. I also wish I could find a book reviewer like him. You know, somebody who's honest and isn't going to call a bad book a classic just because so many other people do. If anybody knows a truly good reviewer, why don't you start another thread on it? That would be a really worthwhile thread to have. And it would be nice if he/she reviewed both old books and new.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #24
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
SF and Fantasy ... right, Ransom? You could try trawling the net for genre-dedicated forums and websites. And some SF and Fantasy publishers, I believe, do host forums of their own. And SF&F has a huge following here at MR itself. You'll find a whole stack of recommended reading in various threads. Luck and bestests. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
The main reason I stopped going to cinemas was all the noise from other people in the audience. When I was young they were like libraries, and if you said anything or laughed too loud some woman would shine a torch at you and tell you to shut up.
There's a newish high end theater where I live with a strict no cells policy. Whenever I take folks there I always tell them the theater will taze you if your phone rings. While not strictly true, I'm hoping the rumor mill does its thing.

But generally, just by charging more and having a swank facility, attendees tend to treat the experience (and their fellow attendees) with more respect. I've never seen anyone disrupt anything there.

Last edited by Marseille; 06-17-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote