Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Barnes & Noble Shares Down 45% in 12 Months

Call it the Curse of Harry Potter
By The Associated Press - New York - Nov 30, 2017, 6:58 PM ET

Portions quoted below:

"Shares in bookseller Barnes & Noble tumbled nearly 12 percent Thursday after the company reported a sharp drop in quarterly sales."

This is due in part to "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child."

They went on to say that the company blamed the rest of the decline on its non-book products.

"The New York-based company's total sales fell nearly 8 percent in its fiscal second quarter that ended Oct. 28 compared to last year, fueling a loss of $30.1 million. The company had a loss of $20.4 million in the same quarter last year."

It said it expects sales at established stores to be about flat for the rest of its fiscal year.

For the full article, go here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires...icle-1.3668203

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-04-2017 at 04:26 AM.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
This is a surprise how.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not B&N's fault that people don't want to read books in paper other than by J.K. Rowling.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not B&N's fault that people don't want to read books in paper other than by J.K. Rowling.
Lol.....they probably wouldn't haven't even got that in paper if not for the "nostalgia" of going to a midnight party in a bookstore for former kids, their parents and own kids. It was an event 10/15 years ago for these families and they wanted to relive it.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
This is a surprise how.
I'm surprised that B&N showed such keen business insight:

"The company blamed the remainder of the decline on its non-book products and said it would focus more on selling books while trimming its toy and game selections."

Hmm ... I'm pretty sure Toys 'R' Us filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection back in September. Maybe B&N got a small clue from that!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Call it the Curse of Harry Potter
By The Associated Press - New York - Nov 30, 2017, 6:58 PM ET

Portions quoted below:

"Shares in bookseller Barnes & Noble tumbled nearly 12 percent Thursday after the company reported a sharp drop in quarterly sales."

This is due in part to "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child."

They went on to say that the company blamed the rest of the decline on its non-book products.

"The New York-based company's total sales fell nearly 8 percent in its fiscal second quarter that ended Oct. 28 compared to last year, fueling a loss of $30.1 million. The company had a loss of $20.4 million in the same quarter last year."

It said it expects sales at established stores to be about flat for the rest of its fiscal year.

For the full article, go here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires...icle-1.3668203
I remember my first bookstore. It was the book section of a drugstore that was across the street from the last stop on my paper route. On Saturday, I had a ritual that involved finishing my collecting for the paper from the weekly subscribers and going to the drugstore, ordering a chocolate milkshake and a pack of peanut cheese crackers and sitting while reading the comic books. I was a small businessman, a 12 year old with a steady job, and a bike that would take me anywhere I wanted to go. Those were good times!

As I grew the county library, the school library and Barnes and Noble, Borders, BAM, and finally college bookstores opened a whole new world for me.

Then Bob Dylan sang a song that in 1964 while in the Army opened up a new world again.
The Times they are a changing -
"Come gather 'round people. Wherever you roam. And admit that the waters. Around you have grown. And accept it that soon. You'll be drenched to the bone. If your time to you is worth savin' Then you better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone. For the times they are a-changin' Come writers and critics. Who prophesize with your pen ..."

https://bobdylan.com/songs/times-they-are-changin/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
... Then Bob Dylan sang a song that in 1964 while in the Army opened up a new world again. The Times they are a changing ...
Dylan's lyrics were poetry. "Bob Dylan - The Lyrics 1961-2012" is a great read!

I was in 66-68. Were you in 1964 or 1864? The uniform in your avatar is beaucoup different than the one I wore!

Thank you for your service.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 AM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Dylan's lyrics were poetry. "Bob Dylan - The Lyrics 1961-2012" is a great read!

I was in 66-68. Were you in 1964 or 1864? The uniform in your avatar is beaucoup different than the one I wore!

Thank you for your service.
Thanks for yours.

Actually I got out in 68 as well, but had joined earlier. When I went in, there was no Vietnam action to speak of except for Special Ops working with the Montagnards and the Nung. Those fighters were like the Northern Alliance the US worked with in the early stages of Afghanistan.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...dmiration.html

In 62, Vietnam was considered the place to go for a bump in rank especially for young Army officers. You got battlefield experience.

By 68 I was tired of it, left the service and never looked back.

My avatar is a painting of General Thomas Jonathan Jackson. (Stonewall Jackson) A great man I attempted to emulate in habit and manner, though I didn't ride horses much then. I do now though, ergo the mounted Jackson.

My battlefield motto then as now was "It's a good day to be alive!"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...dmiration.html

My avatar is a painting of General Thomas Jonathan Jackson. (Stonewall Jackson) A great man I attempted to emulate in habit and manner, though I didn't ride horses much then. I do now though, ergo the mounted Jackson.
Interesting article about the Yards and the Nung, thanks. Amarillo has a VA hospital and veterans home. Some of the vets never look back, some look back every day.

And on a brighter note: The American Quarter Horse Museum is located in Amarillo. We are definitely horse country and proud of it!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@frahse and @MartyTX I want to thank you both very much for your service. You are appreciated by at least one.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Interesting article about the Yards and the Nung, thanks. Amarillo has a VA hospital and veterans home. Some of the vets never look back, some look back every day.

And on a brighter note: The American Quarter Horse Museum is located in Amarillo. We are definitely horse country and proud of it!
How did we miss the Quarter Horse Museum? We may have to venture up your way for our March or May vacation. I am not crazy enough to see you in January.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
How did we miss the Quarter Horse Museum? We may have to venture up your way for our March or May vacation. I am not crazy enough to see you in January.
Smart move ... both WIND and SNOW are 4-letter words!!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
@frahse and @MartyTX I want to thank you both very much for your service. You are appreciated by at least one.
You're welcome! It's hard to believe it was 50+ years ago!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Smart move ... both WIND and SNOW are 4-letter words!!
What is this WIND you speak of? We don't get WIND we get DIRT usually from your neighbor to south and our neighbor to the north.
I am most grateful we don't have to go there for the Christmas party this year.
Wow, the trees are still today.
We have the R word today.

I am about 4 hours south of you.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
You're welcome! It's hard to believe it was 50+ years ago!
You just made me feel like a baby. I was 2 when you left the service.