Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
MishaZip
MishaZip began at the beginning.

Device: m96
Onyx boox m92 and m96 broken screen

Hello everyone.
I have two onyx boox readers with broken screens - m92 and m96 universe.
The distributor says that the damage is way beyond warranty and they won't replace the screens.
I live in NY, United States and can't find any office that would replace the screens for me.
I by myself can open reassemble the readers and order the screens, but by far I couldn't find the information of how to replace them. The most confusing part is whether the cables that connect the screen to the reader's body are just attached to it (so i can just pull them off with my bare hands and attach the ew screen the same way) - flex cables.
or those cables are soldered to the reader's body so i will have to solder them back which is not doable for me.

Also the model and voltage of the screen. I've encountered a few posts that stated that the model of the screen must be very particular and the screens on the same models of readers vary significantly. is it still up to date? Can i use the same model of the screen on both m92 and m96 ? May be I may use screen from amazon dx that seems the same?
Still can't figure many questions.

I would appreciate any help on the subject.

Last edited by MishaZip; 01-17-2017 at 12:21 PM.
MishaZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
1) This is the Pocketbook thread
2) I couldn't find something for the M92 so fast but for the M96 it doesn't look to me like a screen to solder
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
How did you break two screens? Are they very fragile?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
For the M92, there is some batch of production, so the voltage must be adapted to each batch. One of vendors can do that in Europe : http://ereader-store.de/en/, there is probably some other vendors, he had proposed this service in the Onyx forum.

For the M92, this can help : M92 : check the screws and dust.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
MishaZip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
How did you break two screens? Are they very fragile?
yes. I simply transportet them within cases ! That was all.

I was able to take apart my m96. Now i know the screen number and the voltage. I'm pretty sure i can reassemble the thing back with a new screen.
I found the screens around 40-50 bucks each, but the problem with voltage remains.

Voltage on the original screen was -1.52
When i ask the sellers about this feature on their screens they can't answer me back.I ask my distributor for the tool to reset the voltage via usb connection so i could use the screen with different voltage, but they just don't answer me back.
I'd love to have the tool since it seems to be the only way to deal with the voltage discrepancies. I downloaded the same tool for m92 model (which i don't want to reassemble because it works partially and i still can read from it) , but I don't know if the same tool is applicable to m96 universe model.
Seems like a Booxtor can address this issue since he's into this stuff.
Advert
Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You're in the wrong Forum, friend.

Now moved to the correct Forum....the Onyx Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Exact voltage setting is only important on M92, especially when the screen has some issues with contrast. There are tools to adjust it.
Be careful buying those cheaper screens on Ali. In most cases they are selling kind of sorted out by the factory screens with malfunctions. Pay attention to the correct version of the screen! You need ED097OC4 (LF) for M92 and ED097TC1 (LF)-55 for M96.
During disassembling it is easy to damage the flexible cable to the buttons board. It is soldered to the PCB. So please be careful especially if you are trying to avoid soldering.
Also I suggest to cover edges of the screen with scotch before you insert it , to protect them against hard contact to the metal frame. Double check after you inserted it it is really correct sitting in shape. I ruined a couple screens just ignoring this step.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
MishaZip

Booxtor
Thank you for the reply and tips !
I looked up the model of the screen from my m96 universal - and for some reason it was ED097OC4 (LF) with the same connectors. So i ordered that model and now waiting for it to arrive.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
MishaZip

screen model number

I want to replace the screen on M96.
Found this model - ED097OC1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Amazon-K...8AAOSwTM5Yz0tK

will it fit technically?
The original model for some reason was ed0970C4 (lf)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
Why do you want to use a screen with a different number than the original one?
There are more than three or four different versions of the M96 series. I don't know if they differ in terms of screens.
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
MishaZip

If they describe the both models as the fitting screens for amazong kindle dx i assume they both are gonna fit the m96 readers

Also i encountered a problem. Somebody (i guess my brother) has messed with the parts and now the little brown part that holds the screen connector to the motherboard is missing.
You can see it here - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...7&d=1463741699

I hoped somebody would help me to get one and give any tip

Last edited by MishaZip; 07-27-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:41 AM   #12
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Hello,
I thought I would add my query here as it follows on from the last posts.

After almost 2 years my M96 screen has broken (top RHS corner).

As boox states above, the part number of my current screen is ED097TC1 (LF)-55.

The closest I can find is ED097TC1 (LF)-S1 on aliexpress

(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-7-...520938926.html)

These product numbers are identical except for the (LF)-S1 compared to (LF)-55.
What do these letters/numbers refer to? Are the screens effectively identical so I can switch them, or do I need something else? (If so, where to look?)

Thanks! (I hope someone can reply soon as I am hoping to repair it before I go on holiday in a few weeks!)

There are a number of screens claiming to be for m96C capacitative on ebay at the moment -ED097OD2- but I gather these are not appropriate. Also the DX/m92 ED0970C4(LF).

Last edited by deleted; 12-01-2017 at 05:45 AM.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 AM   #13
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
I think I should update this thread to report that a supplier has informed me that ED097TC1 (LF)-S1 is NOT suitable for the M96.

I have learned this after being informed that it was suitable, and having as a result ordered one (which I guess I will now be able to return).

[UPDATE: In the end I did purchase an (LF)-S1 LET97E7001 screen and it worked (see the link I pasted a couple of posts more recent). As it turns out I purchased my screen from a different the supplier than the one who informed me that the screen was NOT suitable. In short, it worked for my m96!]

Last edited by deleted; 10-06-2018 at 05:52 AM.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
I think I should update this thread to report that a supplier has informed me that ED097TC1 (LF)-S1 is NOT suitable for the M96.

I have learned this after being informed that it was suitable, and having as a result ordered one (which I guess I will now be able to return).

What supplier informed you that it was suitable?

(We may need to watch out for that site for giving wrong information.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #15
ydoughan
ydoughan began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox m96
Did anyone have any success replacing the M96 screen? I am searching online and the only model I can find is the ED097TC1 (LF)-55, which is actually being sold as compatible with the M96. I would be grateful if someone could post some updates, whether successes or failures.

I have the Universe version (bought from Amazon, back in the days).
ydoughan is offline   Reply With Quote